Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's great - I've got one.

I'm UK based and things are less **** over here - the majority of Cobs are Chevy powered, a few of us now have LS's inside - too nice 1000Kg's 440Bhp

Rgds

Jim
Old 11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flashman and Tri5Nerd-thanks 4 the links!

OldSchoolFormula-Thanks for the educated devils advocate side. What is it that makes an LSX not sound as good. You did ditch the cats and ran true duels on your Formula, right? On the track (road course) even catted late model LS1,2,6 vettes sound awsome whipping by at 5500 RMP!

SunsetOrangeZ-Nice action shot in your sig! The car you speak of sounds very interesting! Pics would B appreciated, though I lack the 6 figures 2 buy 1. Maybe I could take up an offering on here...if everyone gave just $5, u could make a real difference in an underprivilaged LS1-er's life...

'Trust'-Thanks!

Crafty 888 and Cop Car- Right on!

Happy Jim- Tell me more about your car. Traditional trans mount position? Jag style rear? Performance #s? Pics? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

There is a guy on ffcobra.com running a LS6 in his Factory Five Racing Cobra. His name is Bob Zook (sp?). Beautiful build, too!

With the FFR kit, you will have to fabricate some minor stuff like motor mounts and headers. Definitely doable with all the room up front. You will also want to use an IRS rear end, then the T56 will fit in there no problem. Some people tried to fit it with the solid rear, but there was a problem with the driveshaft ending up too short.

While I think the LSX are better engines than SBFs, the additional fabrication hassle, lower resale value (postively) etc is prohibitive. If you want to do it for yourself and plan on keeping the car, go for it!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Flashman and Tri5Nerd-thanks 4 the links!

OldSchoolFormula-Thanks for the educated devils advocate side. What is it that makes an LSX not sound as good. You did ditch the cats and ran true duels on your Formula, right? On the track (road course) even catted late model LS1,2,6 vettes sound awsome whipping by at 5500 RMP!
While I like the sound of my car with the headers and duals it still doesn't sound like a big cube cammed motor with a carb on it. Its a sound that you can't replicate. I think the aluminum block and heads of the LS1 just sound different, and the smoothness of a fuel injected motor; even with a big cam; just doesn't sound bad-***. I'm mostly talking about idle and coming off it, and having heard open headered LSX's, they just don't have that sound that would be proper in a Cobra. Besides, a big inch Ford can and will make a TON of power.

Now if I was going to put an LSX into a kit car, and I'd LOVE to, I'd do it to that FFR Spyder GT. ::
Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I hear u about the idle of older, larger, cammed, higher compression engines...I love them to! I've been trying to decide between an aluminum headed 455 for my 73 Buick Century, or an LSX engine. I was thinking it would be cool to build a 455 c.i. LSX with same bore and stroke as a Buick 455, when part prices come down. I'll probly do the Buick 455, to save cash and keep the look, feel, sound of the older style. But I'm a road race guy, and fuel injection and aluminum is a beatiful thing at the track!

On the other hand I would think more power would be easily accessable from a 455 LSX...computer fuel and ignition timing, and lets be real...better design. Its hard to love tha past and present at the same time!!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

guy named Green had a LS1 powered cobra years ago it was badass!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I hear u about the idle of older, larger, cammed, higher compression engines...I love them to! I've been trying to decide between an aluminum headed 455 for my 73 Buick Century, or an LSX engine. I was thinking it would be cool to build a 455 c.i. LSX with same bore and stroke as a Buick 455, when part prices come down. I'll probly do the Buick 455, to save cash and keep the look, feel, sound of the older style. But I'm a road race guy, and fuel injection and aluminum is a beatiful thing at the track!

On the other hand I would think more power would be easily accessable from a 455 LSX...computer fuel and ignition timing, and lets be real...better design. Its hard to love tha past and present at the same time!!

Hard choice. The road racing thing (well, not on a track, just long windy mountain roads) is what caused me to go with the LS1. The weight savings was nice, but it was mostly for the ability to corner hard and brake hard without worrying about the engine dying on me. Other than that I went with the LSX because it is my daily driver, and the old 406 was a bit grumpy in the mornings when it was cold. I guess I coulda saved the hassle of the swap for a $40 choke, though. LOL. For a big ole car like a Centruy, that 455's torque would be nice. The 455 probabaly wont make a lot more peak power than the LS1, unless you get kinda radical with it - in which case Buicks can be monsters. The heads would definetly help. Having been on both sides of the fence, I don't know what to say. My old 400 with an OD nearly got the same mileage freeway as the LS1, but the intown mileage was drastically worse.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Happy Jim- Tell me more about your car. Traditional trans mount position? Jag style rear? Performance #s? Pics? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested!
Oh OK then

I finished converting it from a Rover V8 and 5 Speed (nice sound, a little tame though) in June this year. Engine and box from a 2000 Camaro, EBay'd on Thursday evening, flown over the weekend and sat on my drive on the Tuesday way back in November last year.
It's a traditional layout (piccies below in a minute), engine at the front then G'Box, shaft and rear. Jag IRS at the back (3.31:1), Jag at the front as well.
Engine mods/changes....
Katech Rods
Thunder Tr230/224 Cam
Dual springs, Tit Retainers, Hardend rods etc
Ported Oil pump
Custom headers, true duals (2.5"), no cats
Ported TB
Custom CAI
No...Air Con, Power Steering, EGR or anything else resembling emmisions kit
Currently running SD Mafless and playing with EFI Live

No stats yet - but reallllly fast

Pics on next post

Jim
Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

...And some pictures to make it more interesting...
Attached Thumbnails LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-crated.jpg   LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-getting-ready-2.jpg   LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-trial-fit.jpg   LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-short-prop.jpg  
Old 11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

....Last few...
Attached Thumbnails LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-s-.jpg   LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-lots-room.jpg   LSX Cobra (Shelby)?  Has this been done?-jims-cob2.jpg  
Old 11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Default This is my plan!

Originally Posted by Happy Jim
Oh OK then

I finished converting it from a Rover V8 and 5 Speed (nice sound, a little tame though) in June this year. Engine and box from a 2000 Camaro, EBay'd on Thursday evening, flown over the weekend and sat on my drive on the Tuesday way back in November last year.
It's a traditional layout (piccies below in a minute), engine at the front then G'Box, shaft and rear. Jag IRS at the back (3.31:1), Jag at the front as well.
Engine mods/changes....
Katech Rods
Thunder Tr230/224 Cam
Dual springs, Tit Retainers, Hardend rods etc
Ported Oil pump
Custom headers, true duals (2.5"), no cats
Ported TB
Custom CAI
No...Air Con, Power Steering, EGR or anything else resembling emmisions kit
Currently running SD Mafless and playing with EFI Live

No stats yet - but reallllly fast

Pics on next post

Jim

I am planning a similar install, but my steering whieel will be on the correct side . I am pleased to see someone that has done it. I want to build a custom LSX motor with a cent. supecharger 650+hp.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=OldSchoolFormula]While I like the sound of my car with the headers and duals it still doesn't sound like a big cube cammed motor with a carb on it. Its a sound that you can't replicate. I think the aluminum block and heads of the LS1 just sound different, and the smoothness of a fuel injected motor; even with a big cam; just doesn't sound bad-***. I'm mostly talking about idle and coming off it, and having heard open headered LSX's, they just don't have that sound that would be proper in a Cobra. Besides, a big inch Ford can and will make a TON of power.

__________________________________________________ ____________

I hear ya, but the weight savings of an all aluminum motor plus the power potential is amazing and frankly hard to beat - especially price wise. LSX motors are definitely the future - what sbc head flows 330 cfm with the price and availability of an LS1 head? I've seen LSX heads fully cnc ported flowing well over 300 cfm for under $1,000 - show me an aluminum sbc head that can come close to that! And as far as cams go - I guess you haven't heard a heavty cam then. Duration is what makes a cam sound like it's hitting hard, along with some compression - I have friends with 250 duration cams at .050 and and they sound NAAASTY. Size of exhaust and muffler choice also goes into place with that .... fuel injected or not.

I will agree, though, it is a different sound from a big inch motor. But smallblocks and bigblocks sound different anyway. All of this is coming from a carb guy at heart trying EFI for the first time with my own little LS1 conversion project...

Last edited by 62ls1; 11-07-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

I am building 2 of them ( Daytona Coupe but not FFCobra). Check out some of my videos.
This one is my friend's, Thin. Everything is done except for paint job and interior.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGx5NpBv8qM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRWvTKa4adc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwR22WM1VcI

Here is mine still need a lot of work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxZzcPJgYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9YyKNK66E

Last edited by LS1Cobra; 11-07-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
The car would be near worthless if you ever tried to sell it. Part of the allure of Cobras is a big block Ford in them, besides, an LSX Cobra just wouldn't *sound* right.
I am kinda old school thinking ...mix and matching does nothing for me in 99.9% of the cases....a Ford engine should be in a COBRA...Period.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I am kinda old school thinking ...mix and matching does nothing for me in 99.9% of the cases....a Ford engine should be in a COBRA...Period.
I kind of agree - if you go for the full replica look you should do it right, but that would include Trigo Knock offs, Aluminium body, black leather and dubious handling (not to mention exhorbitant cost).

I've gone for a backbone chassis, bolt on wheels, fibreglass body, cream leather inside, and a car that handles ....seems pointless striving for authenticity after that lot in which case go for the engine that's "right" for what you want to do (my choice was Rover V8 to start with (all aluminium) then LSx (all Ali)).

If I could afford it I probably would go the full monty route - but then I may have gone for GT40 in that case!

Jim
Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Carrol Shelby build the Cobra? Taking a British body and mating a Ford drive train? If you ask me it was a kit car from the beginning. I respect the idea and styling(light weight, lots of power, good handling). I do not concur with Shelby's choice of powerplant. If I were building a Kit Mustang then by all means use a Ford engine, but I personnally have little to no respect for the Mustang .
Old 11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68charcoal
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Carrol Shelby build the Cobra? Taking a British body and mating a Ford drive train? If you ask me it was a kit car from the beginning. I respect the idea and styling(light weight, lots of power, good handling). I do not concur with Shelby's choice of powerplant. If I were building a Kit Mustang then by all means use a Ford engine, but I personnally have little to no respect for the Mustang .
I would not call the original AC Cobra a "Kit Car" but it definitely falls into the Conversions and Hybrids category that this forum exists for. Shelby's allegience is to Ford, his choice. Others have their own loyalties. I say build what you like and never mind what others think. I have seen several Cobra reps with big block Chevys in them. If anyone gives you flack, just tell them it is an AC, no Blue Oval or Shelby connection at all!

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 11-07-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 68charcoal
Shel' originally wanted to use GM motors...but they were "content with their corvette."

LS1Cobra...I'd love to come up and take a look at your stuff...or if you run any Philly area SCCA Auto-x events...let me know. What kit are you using btw?

I've been contimplating a Lotus Super 7 replica. Wonder if it would be to difficult to shove an LS1 in there.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Hi Aaron,
I am in South Philly area, 5 minutes from the Lincoln Financial Field. I am not a track or autocross guy because I was never got introduced to. I would love to get involve when I am done with this car.

My Cobra Kit is a Zcar based kit and they are very rare. The kit was made by Tom Nalle from VA back in the 80's. The name for his company was Nalle Limited and it was based in VA. The kit comes complete with every little things to finish up the car. The kit is no longer offer by any one now. From the info I collected the mold was sold to a guy in upstate NY. I am assuming that guy modified the mold and now it becomes Upstate NY Cobra. If I am correct the old kit used to cost around 4 to 5K. However I just check the price from FFCobra and Upstate NY Cobra and they are like 20K just for the body kit and frame.

Please let me know when you are around Philly area. We can get together.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Teching In

I have not chosen a kit as of yet. Still looking at the options. I currently am favoring the Unique Motors kit which uses a Jag style IRS. This kit is manufactured here in AL and has been around a while.

Quick Reply: LSX Cobra (Shelby)? Has this been done?