Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1, 4L80E, range rover, questions etc etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1, 4L80E, range rover, questions etc etc

So i'm going to be installing an LS1 into a range rover chassis.

I have sorted out the transmission combination so i get something that is strong and reliable and which will work in the world of range rovers.

I really only have a couple of questions with regards to mounting. The rear mounting brackets are on the transfer box (which are standard but will need moving). However i don't expect the fronts designed for a roverV8 to match an LS1 at all.

So can someone point me in the direction of an LSx mounting guide- how the mounts attach to the block, and how those mounts attach to the chassis? how far back on the block do the mounts attach and at what angle? standard rangie mounts are at an 45degree incline- any ideas how the LSx mounts attach?

Can anyone also give me any advice on working out what headers i can use? i don't really want to have the project slowed by having to get custom headers made- do the standard headers stick out of the block much?

Oil pan wise- is the oil pick up at the front of the block in every application? is it possible to get a pickup and rear facing pan from anywhere? the axles i am using need a lot of clearance under the engine!

any help on any of the many questions i have would be much appreciated.

oh yeah- it's a 92 rangie, and i don't haev the LS1 yet as it hasn't been shipped! i just want the project to happen as quickly as possible!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say you're in need of some reference materials.....

I've got 2 suggestions:
1.) The "LS1 Engine Kit Installation Guide" by GM. GM part number 88959384. Available lots of places, so getting a copy to the UK shouldn't be that big a deal. SDPC has it available for like $10 US.

2.) "How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s: Modifying and Tuning GM III Engines for GM Cars & Pickups" by Will Handzel. Has a lot of useful information on LSx platform, development, improvements, etc. Available in lots of bookstores, amazon, etc.

These two books give an excellent overview of the various bits and pieces that make an LSx engine tick, and the 1st one does provide some information on how to make it work in a platform that it wasn't designed for originally. Even provides a comparison between the old small block chevy's engine mounting pattern and the new configuration.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I`ll see what I can do.

The mounts attach to the block with 4 bolts in a square pattern, I am not sure what the angle is. If you look in the FAQ sticky thread there are links to dimensions for adapters to bolt the LS1 to standard SBC mounts, I don`t know how much that will help you, but it will have the bolt spacing for the LS1 block.

As far as headers you kinda have to find someone with a similar conversion and see what they used. Or call some header manufacturers and see if they can give you measurements.

The only oil pans that have a front sump are the GTO oil pans. There are pics of a bunch of different oil pans in the sticky`s at the top of the forum. The truck pans have the deepest sumps, but they also have the sump start to drop down further back than any other style pan.

Quick Reply: LS1, 4L80E, range rover, questions etc etc