Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery wiring question (starter, ground, alternator, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Battery wiring question (starter, ground, alternator, etc)

Ok, so wiring is done sans one relay I need to setup for fuel pump.

I'm searching around the forum and not having much luck...due to short lengths on my stock battery cables (2001 WS6), I need to rewire my battery terminals. I need to first figure out the stock wiring... I have:

Off my red (+) battery connector, I have two red wires and one black wire. They are as follows:

1 wire to passenger side (starter - red wire).
2 wires to driver side (alternator - black wire, there is a red wire, don't know where it goes)

Pics of the red battery terminal with the wires are here: http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...ival%20004.jpg

Pics of the connection on the end of the red wire (unattached) are next to the cinder block on the floor in this pic: http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...ival%20004.jpg

Off my black (-) battery connector, I have two black wires, one skinny ground (to frame or body?), one large (ground to block). They are as follows:

1 black wire to passenger side of block here: http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...%20%288%29.jpg
1 black wire appears to be a ground to ??

Got some questions...

1) Why is there a black wire coming out of the (+) pos side of the battery to the alternator? Seems like it should be red.

2) What does that (+) red wire ?(on floor in pic above) go to in the stock vehicle? I couldn't find a place to hook it up...

3) What did the ground hook up to... Frame, or body?

4) What gauge wire is this? 6ga? 4ga?

So, looks like 5 wires total that need hookup from the battery. Just curious what the heck they are

Any help appreciated, or, if you know this has been covered in another topic, please point me to it. Most of the stuff deals with the main harness, but I can't find anything on the battery wiring at all.

Last edited by shifty`; 11-09-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One more picture: Here, so you get a good look at both connectors:

http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...swap%20050.jpg

Red (+) has one black, two red wires.
Black (-) has one large black, one small black.

Black wire on (+) side is the one that's stumping me. Looks like it sould bolt to a block or something, but ... no clear indicator what/why.

Ground is very small, I assume it goes to body.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't necessarily need to wire ur car like the donor car

you need a charge wire from alt to batt+...the black one in your case.
main power wire from batt+ to starter.
ground from batt to body or frame and also another one to the block.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I will help you out a little...on the + side..your are correct..big wire goes to starter...small black goes to alt....and the other small red goes to your + acc feed...in some cases its a + post near the underhood fuse/relay panel...on others it feeds the main distribution for the car itself.

On the - side...the large goes to the block just above/in front of the starter, and the small black goes to the frame/body (depending on what you have) or you can loop it to both, thats what I did...also you should have a ground going from the pass side of the block to the body/frame as well.

Hope this helps...

J-
Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not overly concerned with wiring like the donor vehicle, I just want to verify what the heck that wire was! I had no idea

Ok, so what I'm reading here is that the extra (+) red wire was basically the power line for everything *inside* the car. This is what I suspected. (thanks, J, I appreciate you clarifying )

I also appreciate any similar grounding tips from others. I'm limited to bolting battery->body on the small ground, and I will probably run a ground from batt->frame as well, and block->frame. (might as well).

You can never have too many grounds with a fuel injected system.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

On my S10...I grounded from Batt to pass side frame (bat is on pas side in bed)...from pass frame to pass side block....from driver side block to driver side frame...and then from frame to body. I used the stock - bat cable for the bat to block and frame connection. But the others I used 4ga wire. It works extremely well for my use and no issues thus far. If i did it again...i would ditch the factory cables and run a 2ga wire for gounds and + to starter...then a 4ga for the alt + and main power lead inside.

J-
Old 11-10-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I grounded my Chevelle this way.

Battery Neg post to the Frame, body and Engine (front of head).

From the Engine motor mount of each side to the X-member/frame.
from the back of the Heads to the Firewall.

The PCM ground pin to the Firewall, used the same screw/post as the back of the engine ground strap to firewall, just on the other inside of the firewall.

Last edited by bczee; 11-11-2006 at 02:05 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What gauge wiring are you guys using for your battery cables, and where did you pick it up? (Pls note, I am not in a coastal city, so going to West Marine or similar boat store is out of the question - that's where I would normally go )

Did you go with a side-mount setup (male post), or a top mount (female clamp)?

Do any local auto part stores sell battery cable fabbing kits at a cheaper price than buying individual parts?

Any other tips appreciated. I'll add to my buildup thread later. I finally got my fuel lines done last night and I'm ready to finish wiring, slap in a battery, add some coolant and do a test fire (fuel lines were too damn easy, shouldn't have procrastinated so long! )

Last edited by shifty`; 04-08-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

1. Engine and trans to frame.
2. Frame to body
3. Battery to frame.

I ran 4 gauge for everything. I use and always have used the same wire used in car stereo installations.

Remember to keep your grounds as short as possible. Having them longer increases the chance of overheating. And of course clean the contact area to bare metal, don't just rely on the bolt threads to be your contact patch.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

i use 2 gauge for everything. advance auto sells it in bulk cut-what-you-need. they sell terminals as well. i solder and heat shrink everything. and i run way too many grounds to be safe. you can never have enough ground straps.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shifty`
What gauge wiring are you guys using for your battery cables, and where did you pick it up? (Pls note, I am not in a coastal city, so going to West Marine or similar boat store is out of the question - that's where I would normally go )

Did you go with a side-mount setup (male post), or a top mount (female clamp)?

Do any local auto part stores sell battery cable fabbing kits at a cheaper price than buying individual parts?

Any other tips appreciated. I'll add to my buildup thread later. I finally got my fuel lines done last night and I'm ready to finish wiring, slap in a battery, add some coolant and do a test fire (fuel lines were too damn easy, shouldn't have procrastinated so long! )
I would reccomend using a Summit Battery Relocation kit and an extra wire bundle from them. Should be everything you would need, plentry of wire, posts, terminals and a battery box if you want to use one.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, guys. I went to Napa today and got two universal side-mount posts, 7ft of 4ga wire (alternator) and 4ft of 2ga wire (starter). I don't need to tinker with the ground cable because they're just barely long enough.

At this point, I can't find anyone who carries the special 'ring terminal' for the starter end, nor the ring terminal for the master ground, nor the ring terminal for the alternator I figured Napa would have these, since they seem to have connectors for everything else, including the firewall bulkhead on my truck, but .... No dice.

Does anyone have a source for the individual connectors so I can make my cables look a little more like professionally modified stock cables?

Quick Reply: Battery wiring question (starter, ground, alternator, etc)