Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mustang vs. rx-7 vs. 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang vs. rx-7 vs. 240sx

Very interested in these 3 swaps (particularly fox stang, s13 240sx, and FC rx-7) and want to do one as soon as possible. However I am in university and short on money and time so it'll probably have to wait a couple years. None the less I have done a lot of reaserch and think each is good.

Just wanted to see some opinions

it seems like the 240 has the least space, and the most complicated conversion.

currently the rx is my favorite because it seems to have a fairly simple swap (not as simple as the fox but simple non the less), great dynamics, and best looks.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

complicated? and the least space? i say you need to do more research junior.

first off look at it from the budget since (although im the one who always says DO NOT calculate a budget with any setup)

which car can you afford? which car has the best aftermarket? which car has the most outside engine bay potential? which car is easiet to find?

sorry but in this situation i will have to say the 240 setup is the cheapest of all 3 options and IMO the easiest since you dont have to buy a premade kit if you have any sort of knowledge behind a rachet.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by datboibrad

first off look at it from the budget since (although im the one who always says DO NOT calculate a budget with any setup)

which car can you afford? which car has the best aftermarket? which car has the most outside engine bay potential? which car is easiet to find?

sorry but in this situation i will have to say the 240 setup is the cheapest of all 3 options and IMO the easiest since you dont have to buy a premade kit if you have any sort of knowledge behind a rachet.
If you're short on money but good with a wrench, all three can be easily done. the Mustang would be a better drag car. It also can use a Camaro pan with no mods to it. With a tubular K-member and Mustang headers, you can get it in the car for pretty darn cheap. Although no kits are out there yet, you can esily make your own.

I like the FC RX-7 swap but the S13/14 swaps are getting a little too popular.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the ls1 fox swap is not easy,you have to do all the same fab work that you have to do with any swap.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Teching In

true that the mustang would be the cheapest to buy, but you'd need to fabricate/modify headers and once you upgrade the suspension and brakes comparable to what the rx and 240 come with, the cost will probably be the same.

Your right, I have not done as much research on the 240 as the other 2, but isnt it neccessary to modify the subframe? and the hinson kit is about $1000 compared to $400 of the rx.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

do what you want. i went with the s14. chassis is tough, well balanced, looks good (i think). fox is alittle front heavy i believe but the same weight if not less. not 100% sure about the s13 balance but i think its alittle front heavy too compared to the s14 but just a few lbs lighter. and all of them are going to cost you alot of cash so you can just throw that reason out the window. headers are the only problem with the 240. more research and you will see people are finding ways around it thou. and as far as space in a 240 look at ls1 in a 240 and then one in a f-body. theres more room in the 240. as far as the rx-7 (i can never rember which is which) but if your talking about the 93+ they cost more but look really nice. as far cost vs the 240 it dont look that much better. if your talking about the older ones i dont like the looks that much. just me thou.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

yea im talking about the older ones 86-92 i think. the ones that look like 944's

anyways I guess this debate is a little pointless as it does depend on personal opinion. im leaning towards the rx though, but who knows, by the time I get enough money to do this ill probably change my mind again.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rubin
true that the mustang would be the cheapest to buy, but you'd need to fabricate/modify headers and once you upgrade the suspension and brakes comparable to what the rx and 240 come with, the cost will probably be the same.

Your right, I have not done as much research on the 240 as the other 2, but isnt it neccessary to modify the subframe? and the hinson kit is about $1000 compared to $400 of the rx.
mod the subframe yes. if that scares you away then im sorry. its not a handed to you swap like the rx7's. but its by far not rocket science. there is an entire crowd of people at silviav8.com that are expecting the lsx swap to just be handed to them step by step as if its an sr20det or something. it reuires effort. i have yet to buy anything from hinson and already have mounts and just about everything shy of headers and a drive that i made in my own garage with no special tools or even a welder so iono. i say this time and time again but please dont factor cost into building a car because thats when you begin to let it dictate what the car could be.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

I think the rx roller could be found cheaper than the other two. There seem to be lots of FC's with blown rotarys. One nice thing about the fox swap is you get a solid 8.8 with near unlimited gear, axel, locker choices. With the rx7 your stuck with IRS and 4.10's and not too many aftermarket choices, none for gears. Grannys speed shop sells a kit to swap a 8.8 into the rx7, but it's not cheap and then you get the same rear the fox comes from the factory with.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

sorry but i have yet to see any FC chassis blown or otherwise non rusted for under 50 bux or under 200 bux. both are prices i paid for the two 240sx hatches ive owned that had everything sans motor and tranny.

also dont discredit IRS in either the 240 or the rx7. plenty of people are hitting 8's on both IRS setups. these cars arnt built on 1945 rear end suspension. they actually work even in a straight line
Old 11-26-2006, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the RX7 is the best choice. If you cant modify the mounting brackets yourself the mounting brackets for the engine and tranny are only like 350$. Thats a lot of time saved even if you could make them yourself.

The RX7/Ls1 swap is also prob one of the best documented swaps.

I am in the same situation as you and I just picked up my 89 GTU RX7
Old 11-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Teching In

go to www.hybridz.org and you can find ALLLLL KINDS of information (hope this isn't against the rules). i am doing an ls1 swap into 1986 300 zx and that website has be priceless to me. you can find everything you need to know about that swap.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sciff5
I think the RX7 is the best choice. If you cant modify the mounting brackets yourself the mounting brackets for the engine and tranny are only like 350$. Thats a lot of time saved even if you could make them yourself.

The RX7/Ls1 swap is also prob one of the best documented swaps.

I am in the same situation as you and I just picked up my 89 GTU RX7
ill agree that its the best documented, but seriously how hard can it be these days when you can google a step by step guide for it. dont take my rants as being pro LS240 but IMO the 240 craze hasnt peaked nearly to what it will in the next 5 months or so. once someone figures out a sure fire way to do the swap with part numbers and all and ties up all loose ends (like i plan to do) youll see them every damn where
Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

sorry but i have yet to see any FC chassis blown or otherwise non rusted for under 50 bux or under 200 bux. both are prices i paid for the two 240sx hatches ive owned that had everything sans motor and tranny.

also dont discredit IRS in either the 240 or the rx7. plenty of people are hitting 8's on both IRS setups. these cars arnt built on 1945 rear end suspension. they actually work even in a straight line
Well I haven't seen any 240's around here even close to that cheap. But the last Rx7 I got was free, drove it home.

I'd love to see some of these IRS rears running 8's, link?
I'm very aware how well the Rx7 IRS works or doesn't work in a straight line. I own a swaped rx7 that I drag race. For drag racing the 8.8 works better, and I plan on swaping to a 8.8 in my rx someday when funds allow it.

I was just pointing out the mustang rear end has an advantage over the other two for drag racing.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

i have a ls1 s13.

to be as truly unbiased as possible

LS1 Fox
probably the cheapest and one of the easiest.

LS1 FC Rx7
still pretty cheap and easy.

LS1FD
totally not cheap, but baller extraordinarre and somewhat easy.

LS1240sx.
cheap, but not really easy. there are "bolt in" kits for it, but they are a joke. as someone who has a "bolt in" kit, stay away. nothing on the market right now is truley bolt in or trouble free. give this swap another year before its truly easy. as much as i am pro 240 i will not lie, THIS SWAP CANNOT BE ACHIEVED WITHOUT SOME CUSTOM FABRICATION SKILLS

if you cant weld, at this time the s chassis swap is NOT for you.

what you planning on doing with the car?
dailydriver?
drag?
weeekdn car?
auto-x?
DRIFT
track day?
all of the above/some of the above?
budget?
Old 11-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
what you planning on doing with the car?
dailydriver?
drag?
weeekdn car?
auto-x?
DRIFT
track day?
all of the above/some of the above?
budget?
I was thinking daily/auto-x/ some drag

basically just a nice fun lil car. dont need 4 seats, PS, or probably even AC (i live in canada and i can get away with just rolling down the window.

I was thinking a budjet of about 10-12 grand (canadian) so like 8-10american or so

Ill probably spend at least 1000bux on the car because I want something in good condition. and that about what an rx FC roller goes for.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

well do whatever you want, the FD is the only thing out of your reach if you can weld or know someone who can weld.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rubin
I was thinking daily/auto-x/ some drag

basically just a nice fun lil car. dont need 4 seats, PS, or probably even AC (i live in canada and i can get away with just rolling down the window.

I was thinking a budjet of about 10-12 grand (canadian) so like 8-10american or so

Ill probably spend at least 1000bux on the car because I want something in good condition. and that about what an rx FC roller goes for.
FC sounds like it fits what your look'n for pretty good.
I would agree with you on spending a little more on a nice roller being worth it. I wish I would have spent a little more money and started with a really clean car.

Last edited by LT-x7; 11-26-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Teching In

well either way its just wishful thinking for now.
I dont mind welding and some fabrication if it involves just the mounts to save money, but I'd rather have a car which does not need any other cutting. I understand the 240 doesn't need that much fabrication at all but still. plus I perfer the looks of the FC.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT-x7
I would agree with you on spending a little more on a nice roller being worth it. I wish I would have spent a little more money and started with a really clean car.
i think it is better to buy a modded car and then part it out. if u have the space and the time it is the easiest way to get a clean car. most of the "stock" rollers for any car r not in the best condition.

i paid a 2700 for a blown engine modded FC. and have sold about 2400 worth of parts i did not need. but i kept suspension, brakes, seats, radio, speakers, etc. all of which were upgrades. and the paint is great. four years ago i bought a stock 240 roller for $400 with weather beaten paint and no mods.

i agree with mikespeed95's breakdown. some more insight, i actually had another s13 to do the swap in and then sold it cus people r paying alot for clean 5sp s-series. i think the FC will be the easiest (headers, mounts, etc) and cheapest (combination of cost and time saving) from start to "finish".

depending on ur fab skills, the differences might be marginal for the swap and at that point i would base it on which one u think is better looking.

Quick Reply: mustang vs. rx-7 vs. 240sx