Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Conversion anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danglerb
I thoroughly enjoyed my 30 minutes of open collectors, but spent a lot of time for years afterwards trying to stop stuff from rattling that the vibration loosened up, really messed up stuff inside the dash.
Thats the EXACT feeling I want. I know it is going to be hard work and alot of money spent. Although I believe I can recoup it by putting most of the parts on Ebay or etc. I plan on going with custom headers, e-cut outs and full exhaust.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mramay
I bought a custom wiring harness to put the LS6 into my 560SEC, it was around $500 and that was inexpensive. That doesn't include my time to hook it up and more importantly, figure out what portion of the Mercedes harness can I/should I remove at that time. In my case, the battery is going into the trunk so the ECM and Cruise Amp can sit where the battery resided. I'm also going to use the Mercedes cruise stalk for the GM cruise control - more wiring. The GM AC compressor will be in the Benz so I'll put GM ends on the compressor clutch wiring. Speedometer & tach wiring modifications, ECM programing, oil pressure sensor wiring, etc. etc. Then there's the vacuum plumbing!!

None of this is easy, but the first time I light that LS6 off in the garage with just headers so I can drive the SEC to the muffler shop........ :-) OMG!!
Who did your harness for you?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineTA
Who did your harness for you?
I bought it off a vendor on Ebay. The harness looks great but it only took me six (6) months to get it from him.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Launching!

I must say the thought of either a 2JZ-GTE or an LSx in a mid 90's SL intrigues me, but I would think the wiring in any of the more recent model Mercedes would be a nightmare. Since the mid 80s they have been using a heavily integrated electronic bus like C5 and C6 corvettes do, so removing the ECM pretty much breaks everything in the car. I guess you could cure alot of it by simply hardwiring the power windows, locks, and lighting, plus using aftermarket gauges. However, it seems counterintuitive to have a Mercedes without A/C, cruise, and the other creature comforts... and getting those working would probably wind up being a horror story.

mramay, it sounds like you made a wise choice by using a slightly older but still very attractive bodystyle. Maybe it will be less electronic hadaches.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Launching!

CMcCarthy,
The wiring might be easier than you think. Yep, my '87 won't be terribly hard and the more difficult problem will be to determine which wiring can be removed rather than the hooking up the ECM into the SEC. A newer car with the CAN network might work by leaving in most (all?) of the electronics and adding the GM ECM/PCM. Not that I'd like to figure it out, but it could be done.

Mike R.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Anybody got any ideas on sponsors???? and how to get em?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

What year MB are you putting the drivetrain in? I'm not on the up-and-up with Mercedes models...

Cool project! Good luck!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fuzzylogic
What year MB are you putting the drivetrain in? I'm not on the up-and-up with Mercedes models...

Cool project! Good luck!
A 2001 Mercedes-Benz C240
Old 12-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Teching In

I am contacting a company by the name of Enhanced Street Performance who claims that they can do conversions and etc. I am going to get a price quote and try to negotiate with them (if at all possible).

In the meantime, I will still approach this as if I am doing it myself still. If I use a standalone engine management system couldn't I maintain the current ECU for all the interior functions???

Last edited by RedlineTA; 12-24-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Contact Converse Engineering (http://www.converseengineering.com).

While they have done Ford V8's into Volvo and Mercedes, I heard they are doing LSx's as well.

:-) neil
Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by M104-AMG
Contact Converse Engineering (http://www.converseengineering.com).

While they have done Ford V8's into Volvo and Mercedes, I heard they are doing LSx's as well.

:-) neil
Wow thats a HUGE HELP!!!!!!!!

I will contact them tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Conversion anyone???