Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does "Mr.Know-it-all" know this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does "Mr.Know-it-all" know this?

The "Mr.Know-it-all" I am refering to is the PCM.
Does the Pcm of any given year LS1, log miles that were on the donor car? Just curious if I can tell how many actual miles are on my motor, and another that I am about to purchase.

ChrisP
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

I don't believe so, but I'm not an expert.

I think the only piece of hardware in the car that records mileage is the gauge cluster (regardless of whether its mechanical or electronic).

But hopefully somebody who knows definitively will chime in....

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I tried to find that with EFI Live in myPCM, couldn't find it but that is no guarantie that it isn't there.

Could be as "JustDreamin" says, it could be stored in the Body controler that handles the instrumentation.

I did a CarFax on the VIN that the PCM had and found that it had 47000 miles on the last inspection. Just a clue on what had been going on with the engine.

Jan
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that's why ypou buy the whole car
Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jfman
that's why ypou buy the whole car

I was told by someone that the PCM logged the miles and, I didn't know if that was fact.
I'll try calling a dealer Monday morning, maybe my bud in the service dept can shed some light on this mystery.
ChrisP
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

I bought an engine & drive train from a recycler, supposed to be a 00 T/A, I read the pcm, with efi live, to find, it was from an 02 camero convertable!! they may have just mixed up the computers, but i couldn't figure any way to check millage, I'm new at this, post on efi live or the pcm section and maybe some one would know.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried to get the person who reprogrammed mine to give me the VIN# out of the PCM - *DENIED*. didn't even hear a second word about it. can't wait till i can actually get the VIN and do some research.

anyone know the easiest way to get the full VIN off of a drivetrain (mine came with everything, including PCM and all accessories)? prefer something that won't require me to buy software in excess of $50 cost.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shifty,

There is a laser etched number on your block just above the oil filter. It runs vertical bottom to top. With that number you can calculate your VIN with this info:

http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm

The number you found is the sequence # and the year code.

A GM dealer can also help you if you find a cooperative guy that will take the time to do it.

Pat
Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you using to scan the PCM for the VIN. I was able to get my VIN from it by using a Snap-On Scanner. No reason why any of the other Scanner should be able to do so.. I had problem decoding using the Laser etched number. PCM may not be correct anyway if someone swapped it out after they pulled the drive line. ??
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it would be easy to crossreference the partial VIN on the block with the VIN in the PCM to see if they jive. that would be one way.

it seems like i would be really chasing rabbits if i try to "build" a VIN using the partial on the block. sounds like it didn't work so well for bczee
Old 12-12-2006, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisp3
Well sort of, but if you can determine the VIN, then you can do a carfax to find out the info you want about mileage. That is your goal right?

Pat
Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

what i did is take the VIN that was in the PCM, and i had a friend run a Carfax on it.
and thats how i know hawks lied to me about the miles.

btw, be sure to tell your friend how happy you are that you just bought a new SS before you buy it..... then try to keep a straight face when he comes over, acting all serious like he has bad news when he tells you its been wrecked and salvaged....
Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Teching In

this might be BUT I laughed because My 68 has the interior delete option also.... though I think it's an aftermarket job because I can't find the vin code for it in 68. lol

Here's an idea of where I started
Attached Thumbnails does "Mr.Know-it-all" know this?-100_06331.jpg  

Last edited by Mad_Monkey; 12-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

odemeter only from what i understand (seperate computer chip that cant be tampered with). im sure you could come up with a way to read miles using the vss.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am pretty computer illiterate..but I find it hard to believe the mileage isn't stored somehow/someway in the PCM....[could be wrong]......
Old 12-16-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

only the cluster keeps track of the mileage. The PCM handles the Engine management and in most cases body control devices ... But mileage is the cluster.....
even if you did a carfax there is a huge chance they are also wrong unless the car has been serviced at a dealership durring the course of its service life. only 1 percent of oil change places report to carfax. So unless it had been serviced at dealership or was in a fender bender your gonna be sol as to the true mileage.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Default CarFax Related...

Will CarFax tell you if an LS1 came from a stolen vehicle? Gar
Old 12-18-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

no these engines are not vin specific
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
So unless it had been serviced at dealership or was in a fender bender your gonna be sol as to the true mileage.
I don't necessarily agree. It seems like most people here get their drivetrains from totalled vehicles, so I'm 99% sure most people who do that can get it once the title is updated as 'totalled' and the mileage is given.

The likelihood of finding the accurate mileage is more likely than not. You have several opportunities, and Carfax pulls info from several places - INCLUDING the accident reports filed by the cops, or potentially a theft report from the insurance company, assorted other places. Sure, Jiffylube isn't going to help any at all, but ....

I've done a ton of Carfax reports in the past two years and seen all kinds of stuff. I'm not sure if you can say the same, but ... you'd be really surprised what turns up on Carfax.

Quick Reply: does "Mr.Know-it-all" know this?