Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-door sleeper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
No love for the Jags?! Come on! They're comfortable inside, very available, and not known to have a lot of guts... even the old V12 cars are moderate from a dig. They're also inexpensive to convert to a V8. Most of the hard work has already been done.

I have no problems when it comes to Jags, just that "Lucas, prince of darkness" comes to mind when I have to work on the wiring of one. It's just something that makes a Jag, a Jag.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

my buddy has a sleeper early 90's Mercedes 260 E with a mercedes AMG motor out of a wrecked 01 clk55.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bearcat
honestly, hp per liter is ricer talk.

It is. I'm just trying to show that that engine already has equal length headers, high performance cams, low restriction intake, zero back pressure cat back, and optimized tuning. What all would you have to spend on an LSx to get that? Plus this comes with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty to boot!
Old 12-17-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bimmer Tech
It is. I'm just trying to show that that engine already has equal length headers, high performance cams, low restriction intake, zero back pressure cat back, and optimized tuning. What all would you have to spend on an LSx to get that? Plus this comes with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty to boot!
$45,000. roughly half the price of a BMW V8 car. you can have a brand new vette with a 10year/100,000mile warranty. half the price with double the warranty and more hp... LSx FTW
Old 12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

thats good and all, but if you did all that to an ls1 it would make alot more then 333hp. im not trying to be a dick about this or anything, im just saying if you want to go fast, your alot better off looking elsewhere which is why most swap in ls1s to begin with. dont get me wrong though, id love to drive around in an m3 my car is just alot more affordable lol
Old 12-17-2006, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

if u dont mind converting to rear wheel drive I think a 98 on up grand prix would be sweet. Everybody and there mother has a newer grand prix. But how many have a rear wheel drive one. I went to college at Northwestern Ohio and they were building rear wheel drive 91 two door grand prix and a 95 rear wheel drive taurus. Both with v-8's. Now those are sleepers.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

I actually love the above idea. For some reason, in my perverse mind, I like the 98+ Grand Prix.

I have no knowledge of conversions to RWD myself, however... What is the "average" cost, if such a thing can be averaged?

And I think Jags are great, I've been looking at your website, FastKat.

Your pal's Merc sounds sick, bigman. Real cool.

There are way too many cool and good ideas in here. I hope I'm not the only one enjoying the thread.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. 95-96 impala SS
2. lincon ls
3. there is nothing else worth swapping in my opinion.

build a forged bottem end, sum slow compression heads and pistons and 10#'s of boost should make a very interesting grocery getter.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cop Car
$45,000. roughly half the price of a BMW V8 car. you can have a brand new vette with a 10year/100,000mile warranty. half the price with double the warranty and more hp... LSx FTW
If your numbers were even close to being correct, it would be a valid point, but they are not. You can get a V8 BMW for $58,000 to start with. A 'vette comes with a 3/36000 warranty, and a 5/100,000 warranty for the driveline only (mechanical stuff that never breaks anyways). See here: http://www.chevrolet.com/warranty/ The $58,000 BMW 550i is just as fast as the vette, can hold people comfortably and comes with complete maintenance for 4/50,000 (can be extended for 6/100,000). Even if you did buy the extended warranty for the vette, any mods make it null and void even if it didn't cause the problem.

On topic though, the '94-96 impala SS or even just a Caprice would make an awesome candidate for the LSx.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

CTS-V whips the 550i, plus it looks cooler
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

to convert front to rear wheel drive u need to tub rear, align a rear end under there. What ive seen where 3 or 4 links. Cut out space for trans so u will probably have a hump on inside. Make motor mounts and space for for driveshaft. If u get a blown motor or trans grand prix that would be cheap. Under a 1000 probably. LSX t56 and nice rear about 10,000 on up. Lots of cutting and welding. But i think u could get rollin for under 15,000 if u have some know how. Just a rough estimate.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a 4-door nova?

regardless of what ANY bmw motor costs or the power it makes. The topic is CONVERSION of a 4 door car.
Would he use a bmw motor in a g-body or caprice?
no? why not?
they make so much more power stock and upgrade parts are so much cheaper
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
What about a 4-door nova?

regardless of what ANY bmw motor costs or the power it makes. The topic is CONVERSION of a 4 door car.
Would he use a bmw motor in a g-body or caprice?
no? why not?
they make so much more power stock and upgrade parts are so much cheaper
I would not have been here if someone didn't post bullshit info and bash on BMWs. Kick the trolls out of here and we can have a decent conversation about 4 door sleepers.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Second Club

thats another good point... if BMW motors are so great, why arent they found in as many vehicles as LSx motors? it isnt bullshit information that the BMWs are much more expensive to work on, mod and fix than LSx motors, they dont even produce as much hp as LSx motors either. those are just cold hard facts that you have to live with.

BMWs are the Fords of Germany, they are used as taxis and arent anything special at all. people are just stupid about them over here though. BMWs and Mercades Benz's are two of the most over priced cars in America.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

thats another good point... if BMW motors are so great, why arent they found in as many vehicles as LSx motors? it isnt bullshit information that the BMWs are much more expensive to work on, mod and fix than LSx motors, they dont even produce as much hp as LSx motors either. those are just cold hard facts that you have to live with.

BMWs are the Fords of Germany, they are used as taxis and arent anything special at all. people are just stupid about them over here though. BMWs and Mercades Benz's are two of the most over priced cars in America.

It just goes down to personal taste. Like I said before comparing a BMW to anything made in America is apples to oranges. If you like smooth comfortable supperb handling automobiles that can carry 5 people and still do 150MPH, BMW is it. If you like straight line accel and aren't really concerned about build quality and refinment then Domestic it is and honestly America is quite capable of building something superb (Caddy CTS/V) but then no one would buy it cuz it'll cost to much. Oh those Mercs and Bimmers over in Germany that are taxis etc are stripped down models that we dont get here so they don't count. Unfortunately most of the people who buy BMW's buy or should I say lease them just for the status not for the driving enjoyment. Most of these people don't know the difference between clipping an apex and clipping a curb. This argument will go on forever cuz everyone is different with different tastes so lets move on and talk about 4 door sleepers shall we.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Original Post: "I'd like to pick up a cheap 4-door sleeper sedan myself.

I'd like something that is completely under the radar, has a comfortable/decent interior (so I can forget about a less-than-stellar exterior), is RWD and will allow a stronger manual or auto tranny to be used.

And I'd like the exterior to not be completely ugly, but still something that surprises the **** out've people."

Here's my pick from the GM Stable that would appear to be the easiest to integrate the electronics and drivetrain and still meet your requirements.

A. The 78-82 4-door Malibu
B. 87-90 Chevy Caprice 9C1 cars
C. 68-75 Chevy Nova
D. 79-87 olds Cutlass
E. 82-83 Pontiac Bonneville
F. 71-76 Pontiac Ventura (with GTO shaker hood)

Paint them "primer" grey or black and "there you are".

There's also the station wagon versions of the Malibu that can be done nice too.

There are many more if you go outside the GM auto arena.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

At least BMW shows profit and isn't cutting jobs (esp. American jobs), unlike GM, Ford, and Mercedes.

I wonder how the LSx would fit into a Lexus IS300? I heard rumors that a V8 was going into the new IS anyways. Old ones go for cheap?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

or

Old 12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
No love for the Jags?! Come on! They're comfortable inside, very available, and not known to have a lot of guts... even the old V12 cars are moderate from a dig. They're also inexpensive to convert to a V8. Most of the hard work has already been done.
I bought a 79 XLJ6 (the really long one) with a carbed 350 conversion already done. I'm thinking about doing a LS1 swap but I also have a S-10 that's begging for an LS1 and I just can't decide. The wiring on the Jag scares the crap out of me. I already have 2 windows that don't roll down.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

get a impala ss and put a ls1 ram air in it ive seen that before and it was amazing

Quick Reply: 4-door sleeper.