Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen F-body cruise

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd gen F-body cruise

I found a switch to make the cruise control functional with the 70-81 f bodies. Brandon Industries in MN has a replacement cruise control switch for $27. It looks just like the gm switch except that it has 3 internal switches instead of the 2 that the gm switch has. It will hook up just like the new switches with these 4 wires:
Power to the switch
Cruise power on
Resume/Accel
Set/Coast
The part number is 250-3020. I am waiting for their schematic to see which wire color corresponds to each function. Then I just have to figure how to get the wires routed through the column.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you still have the factory switch in the column? If you do it will make it much easier to get the wire through. Take a piece of thin solid wire 22-24 gauge and tie it through the hole on the connector end of the old one under the dash. Pull it out slowly from the top until you get the thin piece of wire to come out by the side of the column. Untie it from the old switch and tie it onto the new switch wires, wrap the joint with some electrical tape to "streamline" it and pull it through.

If you don`t have the old one in the column you may be able to get lucky and bend the new wire and slip it through the column without taking the column apart. I have been able to do that a couple times before.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Power: Red
Cruise On: Brown
Set: Green
Resume: Yellow

The columns I have never had cruise. I've got it out of the car for this. I was waiting for the cruise lever before I put it in the car. This lever should work for any gm column where the turn signal gets bolted to the column with one bolt.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

I got the lever installed last night. I used a solid piece of copper wire to pull the wire through. This lever had more than enough length to go through the column. This had to be one of the cheapest parts I have bought doing this conversion.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen F-body cruise