Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-1 In A Boat........

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattP
I can't use a dry system inside a closed hatch Donzi. I am going to use a heat exchanger system, but no kit will really fit it like OEM because they don't exist yet. Trying to find something that will work on Ebay.

I have dry Stellings on my Donzi, I just dump water in at the collectors to quiet it down a little. If your headers are too close to something flameable, just wrap them with heat tape. You can mount a heat exchanger anywhere and doesn't need to be fit specific.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question How Much $?

How much can you buy the 496 or 496HO engine package(which includes the transom plate & drive, etc.)for? Gar
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JASON11WS6
I am sure it would be great in a boat. I believe Malibu has LS1's as an option on some of their Wake boarding boats. I would love to build one with a Kenne Bell, perfect torque monster for the water.

Yes, they built a limited production corvette boat. The first gen. corvette malibu's had the lt-1's in them. I'm not sure what other boats had the ls-1 in them besides the corvette malibu's. Yeah, a kenne bell would surly be nice sitting on top of one!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
How much can you buy the 496 or 496HO engine package(which includes the transom plate & drive, etc.)for? Gar

NEW 496 MAG HO 425hp Engine With Bravo 1X Outdrive Package: $24k
This new engine package includes:

Engine
Transom
Drive
Trim Pump
Steering Ram

I beleive you can get this same package w/the std. bravo 1 drive/transom, and engine for $18k-$20k w/out the trim pump and steering ram if memory serves me correct. This is after searching quite a bit. Average price I have found to be considerably more like the package above but w/a std. bravo 1 drive, not the bravo xr.

I beleive I have the majority of everything loc. I've found a volvo marine 496 h.o.(420 h.p), bravo transom assemb., and I'm going to try to buy the bravo 1 drive off my old boat if the owner will sell it. I was skeptical about the volvo engine, but after some research and talking to people that have replaced merc. w/volvo(mounted to merc. driveline), I'm feeling a LOT more comfortable.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I was skeptical about the volvo engine, but after some research and talking to people that have replaced merc. w/volvo(mounted to merc. driveline), I'm feeling a LOT more comfortable.
They are both just big block Chevys with brand specific external bolt ons. So one would be as good as the other, dependability wise.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

there was a guy in one of the hotrod magazines that did it
Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Randy_W
They are both just big block Chevys with brand specific external bolt ons. So one would be as good as the other, dependability wise.
I was told w/a merc. bravo coupling and bellhousing that it would bolt right up w/no problems to the bravo system and that the plug in the boat will plug directly to the plug on the engine. It's supposed to be the exact same base platform, but the volvo's computer is supposedly much easier to retune and it doesn't have a closed cooling system as compared to the mercruiser. The ls-1 would be so cool though. I haven't ruled it out just yet.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WsFirebird6
there was a guy in one of the hotrod magazines that did it
I subscribe to quite a few of them and have not seen that particular article. Please let me know if you find out which one it is.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Teching In

The LS1 would work really well in a light boat, sometimes big blocks in small boats using stern drives tend to be tail heavy and don't work as well as lighter engine. In bigger boats or with massive horsepower it won't make as much difference. Either way, going fast on the water is waaaayyyyy cool!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Malibu used aluminum 5.7l LS1s in their boats for a while. They did have a closed loop cooling system. I know Mastercrafts use LQ9s (iron block) in some of their boats as well.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run 540 c.i. big blocks in my Donzi,

Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

The LS1 would work really well in a light boat, sometimes big blocks in small boats using stern drives tend to be tail heavy and don't work as well as lighter engine. In bigger boats or with massive horsepower it won't make as much difference. Either way, going fast on the water is waaaayyyyy cool!
The boat weighs in at 2900 lbs. w/the 5.0 efi and alpha setup. I figure w/the ls-1, alum. marine manifolds, and putting the bigger bravo drive/transom assemb. I'll be either right at or just under the current weight which will keep the power to weight ratio looking pretty good considering I would be adding approx. 175-200 more hp. I know what you mean by the big block making it extra heavy in the *** end. A lot of the times you really don't gain much to make it worth while(comparing 2 identical boats) going from a small block to a big block(a reg. 310-330 hp bb that is) due to the additional weight. We tried a 320hp 6.2 merc. in it and had a feeling we were going to be pleased w/the results after putting the right prop on it, but the engine let loose after the second day of having it out. They warrantied the engine and gave a refund, so now to the next step. I've also been looking out for a merc. Scorpion 6.2(377 hp).
Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jhelms

I second that. Unfortunately, I have to settle for twin 400 hp 454's in my Fountain, but I'd love to have some engines like he has!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Teching In

My 540's are from 1988, they have over 2000 hrs of hard abuse, I rebuild them every 500-600 hours. Since I went to full roller setups about 15 years ago, they never wear out! The modern hulls are much faster than mine, before we re-did the bottom and moved the X-diminsion up 3" on mine it would barely get into the upper 80's with all that power. Now I'm too old to run it wide open much!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 86RedRocket
I second that. Unfortunately, I have to settle for twin 400 hp 454's in my Fountain, but I'd love to have some engines like he has!
I love Reggie's boats and almost bought a 35' Lightening a few years ago! I just can't kill this old Donzi, so I guess I'll keep her 'till one of us dies!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question All Aluminum 5.7 Litre LS1's

Originally Posted by Justin @ EAD Performance
Malibu used aluminum 5.7l LS1s in their boats for a while. They did have a closed loop cooling system. I know Mastercrafts use LQ9s (iron block) in some of their boats as well.
If Malibu used a marinized all aluminum 5.7 LS1, I wonder what marine engine manufacturer they sourced these from? Only the 6.0 Litre LS based engines have been marinized thus far. Malibu is a production boat manufacturer, and production builders do not ever piece together their own engines/drive systems, as it does not make economic/production/warranty/servicability sense. Gar
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
If Malibu used a marinized all aluminum 5.7 LS1, I wonder what marine engine manufacturer they sourced these from? Only the 6.0 Litre LS based engines have been marinized thus far. Malibu is a production boat manufacturer, and production builders do not ever piece together their own engines/drive systems, as it does not make economic/production/warranty/servicability sense. Gar
Malibu uses Indmar engines. Crusader & PleasureCraft Marine also have marinized 6.0L engines (iron blocks, but everything else is the same).

I think one of those manufacturers is using alum exhaust manifolds.

Somebody on here had an LS1 motor that was in a boat that they were looking to part out the marinization hardware. I think he had a set of manifolds for sale. Was here in the conversions. Look here: forum.https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=lsx+boat

'JustDreamin'
Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

I love Reggie's boats and almost bought a 35' Lightening a few years ago! I just can't kill this old Donzi, so I guess I'll keep her 'till one of us dies!

I would love to have a 35'. I'm going to prob. sell my 92' 29' Fountain Fever II in the coming months. My engines have 8 hrs. on them and have been converted to a full roller valvetrain w/all the good stuff. I like Donzi's too. I almost bought a 89' z-30 about this time last yr. It had big blocks w/alpha drives on it. I just couldn't see having to pull the engines out and spend that much money on bravo drives/transoms along w/a trailer. IF it would have had bravo goods on it, I would have bought it for sure. All in all it was a nice boat to be as orig. as it was. I'm sure I'll sell my Fountain and Baja sometime this yr. I hope to move up to a older Cigarette 35' Cafe' Racer or 38' Top Gun this coming up winter.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Malibu uses Indmar engines. Crusader & PleasureCraft Marine also have marinized 6.0L engines (iron blocks, but everything else is the same).

I think one of those manufacturers is using alum exhaust manifolds.

Somebody on here had an LS1 motor that was in a boat that they were looking to part out the marinization hardware. I think he had a set of manifolds for sale. Was here in the conversions. Look here: forum.https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=lsx+boat

'JustDreamin'

Thanks for the link. I pm'd the guy to see if he still had any of the parts.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Teching In

I like the Top Gun too! Cigarettes are sexy rides, that's for sure. If I were buying new today, I'd sure give Reggie a look before I bought anything though.

Quick Reply: LS-1 In A Boat........