Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the stock LS1 engine angle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is the stock LS1 engine angle?

I am curious what the engine angle is of an LS1 engine sitting in a Camaro/Firebird, Corvette or GTO. Does someone out there have an angle finder they can put on a straight angle on the head or maybe on one of the pullies in the front of the engine?? The measurement would probably need to be done on a level surface (like in a garage) and should not be done on an engine or car that is half taken apart.

Thanks! -Dave
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Little help?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm no expert but it seems to me it doesn't matter all that much. You just want to match the pinion angle of your differential as far as I understand it. There's a lot of discussion about this around. I saw a good illustration on the Air Ride Technologies website in the air bar installation instructions. Hope this helps. Don
Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave

I recall quickly checking what the engine angle was, I recall it was about the same as when I measured the end of the trans for pinon angle. Just at a right angle to the reading.

update..
I just took a quick measured on the top of the valve cover rail, fuel rail, and along with the Trans output shaft and front pulley.
.. mine came to 3 deg... all around

Last edited by bczee; 01-10-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Angle relative to the rear end pinion angle is one issue, but I would imagine these engines are also designed to work at a specific angle relative to the ground. For instance, the engine won’t run very long upside down… it’ll starve for oil. I am worried about air/steam pockets forming in the coolant system, specifically around the rear #7 and #8 cylinders. If I would have had more angle than the stock setup, I would have used the LS6/LS2 style steam tube rear block-off plugs. However, since I have less angle than 3 degrees, I think I am going to run the regular front and rear steam tubes to prevent hot pockets from forming in the coolant system.

Originally Posted by dhutton
I'm no expert but it seems to me it doesn't matter all that much. You just want to match the pinion angle of your differential as far as I understand it. There's a lot of discussion about this around. I saw a good illustration on the Air Ride Technologies website in the air bar installation instructions. Hope this helps. Don
Old 01-11-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is supposed to be 1-3 degrees down.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

BTw, thanks for the measurement!

Originally Posted by bczee
Dave

I recall quickly checking what the engine angle was, I recall it was about the same as when I measured the end of the trans for pinon angle. Just at a right angle to the reading.

update..
I just took a quick measured on the top of the valve cover rail, fuel rail, and along with the Trans output shaft and front pulley.
.. mine came to 3 deg... all around

Quick Reply: What is the stock LS1 engine angle?