Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom fuel lines... quick connect flare tool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Default Custom fuel lines... quick connect flare tool?

I'm going to need to build some custom fuel lines (stock size... 3/8 & 5/16), and I was wondering if there is a tool out there that will allow me to make quick connect ends on the steel fuel line like the factory LS1 lines?
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:37 AM
Teching In

http://www.mastercool.com/m54.html

71475 is the one I used.
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I have the mastercool device. It's so awesome. I posted this on another thread. You can get them on EBay for $250. Pricey, but I've used it several times.

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=39273
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Sweet, just what I was looking for. Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2007 | 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

if you're only making this one line, its cheaper to have a hydraulic shop do the flares.

if you're planning on making any other lines (powersteering, or bubbleflare brake lines especially...) then its well worth the money.

that little hydraulic hand-pump one they linked above is the only one i know of other then the huge pricey professional hydraulic one...
Old 01-15-2007 | 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The alternative is to purchase short nipples with the desired flare on them, then join them to conventional lines with union fittings. If you are not overly concerned with appearance or the lines are out of sight this is an inexpensive alternative. Unions do provide additional places for leaks, but if you work carefully that should not be a problem

Pat
Old 01-15-2007 | 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
The alternative is to purchase short nipples with the desired flare on them, then join them to conventional lines with union fittings. If you are not overly concerned with appearance or the lines are out of sight this is an inexpensive alternative. Unions do provide additional places for leaks, but if you work carefully that should not be a problem

Pat
another alternative to that, is to have a hydraulic shop braze the two lines together.... then theres no fitting/joint to come loose....

if its painted and done well, it can look OEM ish... but often, its something you want out of sight...
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:02 PM
sawzall wielding director
20 Year Member

I always wondered if there was a tool to make the quick connect flares. I didn`t even think of trying a hydraulic shop. I just used the quick connect ends from the junkyard and joined them by double flaring the other end and using a union. That hydraulic flare tool looks wicked cool, but its out of my price range.
Old 01-15-2007 | 06:09 PM
On The Tree

this is what i did...

cost me $10 or so for both fittings, works great
Old 01-16-2007 | 05:29 AM
On The Tree

i had classic tube make me a stock 69 camaro 3/8 fuel line with the male quick connect ends on both ends, then just got some high pressure fuel injection rubber hose( i think its 900 psi rated) and the female ends from junk yard, the fuel line was only 25 bucks extra and alot less trouble. no unions or brazing, less breaks in the line- less chance of leaking fuel around stuff that is hot. mike
Old 01-16-2007 | 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

I got a new 3/8 stainless line from Ricks, cut the hose barbs off, used Swagelok compression fittings to convert to -6 AN, Russell -6 AN to quick-connect adapters at the rail and Vette filter/regulator, and Aeroquip socketless hose/fittings for the lines in-between. The part # for the Ruswell and Swagelok fittings are in the LSX into 67-69 Camaro sticky. I used the quick connects on the FPR instead of Swageloks so that I don't need to dig up new compression ferrules when I have to replace the FPR. I've used the Swagelok compression fittings on 3600psi compressed natural gas lines--I trust them more than I trust AN flares!

Quick Reply: Custom fuel lines... quick connect flare tool?