Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s13 ls1 conversion + smog question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s13 ls1 conversion + smog question

Alright, for years I have known about LS1 tech and never had a vehicle that would warrant me coming to this forum. With that said; I have just aquired a 1990 240sx; and I would like to put an ls1 into the car because it is the lightest configuration with the most HP and TRQ.

I know a few members of LS1tech have done this; but through my searches I have never seen any writeups on the conversion; nor many full parts lists. If any one could point me in a good direction that would be much appreciated.

ALSO

I live in San Diego; we have emissions and rules. Some people say this engine swap is illegal; but yet monster miatas are legal... this confuses me as well.

Thank you for ya'lls time.
~Nick Wilcox
Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moldyoldy240
I know a few members of LS1tech have done this; but through my searches I have never seen any writeups on the conversion; nor many full parts lists. If any one could point me in a good direction that would be much appreciated.
Try searching. There's a few on this site with decent info.

I live in San Diego; we have emissions and rules. Some people say this engine swap is illegal; but yet monster miatas are legal... this confuses me as well.
240 has a problem with the steering column getting in the way of the exhaust manifold. Because of it, I doubt it'll pass the REF.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Teching In

To make any swap Kalifornia CARB legal the engine must be the same age or newer than the chassis it will go into and must retain all of its factory emissions equipment. In the case of the LS(x) engine that means stock (or CARB legal) headers, stock location of the O2 sensor(the main reason why stock headers are needed), Cats, fuel vapor traps for the fuel tanks and more that I am not listing. BMW E36 and 240s have enough space in the engine compartment to fit the LS(x) engine but because of the position of the steering column custom headers are need which are not legal in Kalifornia. When done right RX7s both FC & FD conversions can be CARB legal.

The one rumor I had heard about the 240s is that a modified R33 X-member will position the engine far enough forward to allow factory headers. I read it hear on the boards awhile back, but I haven't heard anything more about it. From what I gathered there are better ways to mount the engine than to use the R33 X-member, at least for those who live in states that do not have to worry about factory headers and emissions.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

^ search rb25det. It does allow for more header clearance, but from what i've read there isn't a way for the stock headers to sneak passed the steering column.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Teching In

hmmm So the driver side header runs right into the steering assembly... So now its a search for a CARB approved header that DOESN'T do that... This is going to be difficult to find; it doesn't deter me one bit, but it does make me shake my head. Its very sad that Cali is trying so hard to kill the car culture that it grew up on. I soley blame the coddling of children and the liberal school education board lols.

After reading a few of the current members conversions in progress; it is making me realize more and more how I should move back to Texas so I can actually work on my car. BUT I must go on and keep looking for a solution (I don't give up easily). We'll see what I can fake when the time comes. Any advice on thiis matter is wanted.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm So the driver side header runs right into the steering assembly...
Pretty much, if you look at manifolds they will all pretty much run right into the rack or the steering shaft. You might be able to get creative and move the steering shaft around with more u-joints but that darn rack and the u-joint coming right out of it is going to cause it to be tight. I am using C5 Manifolds to get the job done but they are needing to be modified to work.

Quick Reply: s13 ls1 conversion + smog question