Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone fabbed their own uprights or suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Besides...I do have a buddy that is a Mech E and another that's working for a power tool company and has access to Catia
I think I know which power tool company you mean (yellow comes to mind), my company does alot of business with them. I know they've got Catia, and I think they have some seats of SolidWorks (or maybe its Edge, I get them mixed up). Personally, I got my start in cad on CADKEY, and haven't ever felt the need to switch. Just upgraded to KeyCreator 6. Like it alot.

Good luck with your project. You will certainly have many decisions to make and lots to think about. Keeping the weight down will be a challenge (adding lightness isn't all that easy). Somebody on here has a Lotus with an LSx motor in it, looking at some of his recent posts, traction is a commodity that he's REALLY short of. Which probably means a V8 in a sub2000 lb RWD car is probably ridiculous. Which is why I've been thinking AWD and 2200lbs sounds like a better platform (but I'm JustDreamin, have other more important things to do first, like finish my truck and build a garage).

Speaking of ridiculous, a buddy of mine is building an all steel '34 Ford with an all iron 427 SOHC Ford, toploader, and Dana 60. He estimates its gonna weigh 2450lbs, most of it on the front end due to the 800+lb lump of iron he's running (it's just huge).

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
I think I know which power tool company you mean (yellow comes to mind), my company does alot of business with them. I know they've got Catia, and I think they have some seats of SolidWorks (or maybe its Edge, I get them mixed up). Personally, I got my start in cad on CADKEY, and haven't ever felt the need to switch. Just upgraded to KeyCreator 6. Like it alot.

Good luck with your project. You will certainly have many decisions to make and lots to think about. Keeping the weight down will be a challenge (adding lightness isn't all that easy). Somebody on here has a Lotus with an LSx motor in it, looking at some of his recent posts, traction is a commodity that he's REALLY short of. Which probably means a V8 in a sub2000 lb RWD car is probably ridiculous. Which is why I've been thinking AWD and 2200lbs sounds like a better platform (but I'm JustDreamin, have other more important things to do first, like finish my truck and build a garage).

Speaking of ridiculous, a buddy of mine is building an all steel '34 Ford with an all iron 427 SOHC Ford, toploader, and Dana 60. He estimates its gonna weigh 2450lbs, most of it on the front end due to the 800+lb lump of iron he's running (it's just huge).

'JustDreamin'
The man you're thinking about is 99c5vert...some point in the near future...he's gonna give me a ride in "Frankin 7".

Traction is gonna be a problem, but...good suspension setups go A LONG WAY! Unfortunately, traction control systems are illegal in E Mod unless they were specifically FACTORY. Half of the fun of this car is gonna be the back roads, and even maybe some track days somewhere (VIR or Summit point). Who knows...it might even show up at the Maxton Mile eventually...:shrug:

If you mean the company that's located off of Joppa road in Towson, yes.

How is your buddy gonna keep that thing on target weight?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

The man you're thinking about is 99c5vert...some point in the near future...he's gonna give me a ride in "Frankin 7".
That's who I was thinking of....

Traction is gonna be a problem, but...good suspension setups go A LONG WAY! Unfortunately, traction control systems are illegal in E Mod unless they were specifically FACTORY. Half of the fun of this car is gonna be the back roads, and even maybe some track days somewhere (VIR or Summit point). Who knows...it might even show up at the Maxton Mile eventually...:shrug:
Good setups do go a long way. But all the things I've seen lead me to believe that most IRS setups struggle to be as effective (at least in straight line traction) as a solid axle.

Haven't been to Summit Point in years. Last time I was there, I was with a buddy who was running EP in a '63 MGB. Was good fun. Would have been better fun if he wasn't fighting engine problems.

How is your buddy gonna keep that thing on target weight?
I'm not real sure how he's done it. He estimated the weight by putting the car (mostly assembled) on his set of scales (used to run a dirt car up at Lincoln Speedway) with most all the stuff that went into the car in place (engine, trans, body, etc). And added bags of ballast (wood pellets for the stove) for stuff that was missing (fuel, fluids, clutch, driveshaft, etc). Car is absolutely bare bones interior (alum seats, 18ga steel floor, modified steel dash with a few gauges and really nothing else, he doesn't even have a radio). He weighed it so that he could estimate the spring rates he'd need.

He's in White Marsh so if you're interested I'm sure he'd be happy to show it off (once the car is back together).

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

That's who I was thinking of....

Good setups do go a long way. But all the things I've seen lead me to believe that most IRS setups struggle to be as effective (at least in straight line traction) as a solid axle.

Haven't been to Summit Point in years. Last time I was there, I was with a buddy who was running EP in a '63 MGB. Was good fun. Would have been better fun if he wasn't fighting engine problems.

I'm not real sure how he's done it. He estimated the weight by putting the car (mostly assembled) on his set of scales (used to run a dirt car up at Lincoln Speedway) with most all the stuff that went into the car in place (engine, trans, body, etc). And added bags of ballast (wood pellets for the stove) for stuff that was missing (fuel, fluids, clutch, driveshaft, etc). Car is absolutely bare bones interior (alum seats, 18ga steel floor, modified steel dash with a few gauges and really nothing else, he doesn't even have a radio). He weighed it so that he could estimate the spring rates he'd need.

He's in White Marsh so if you're interested I'm sure he'd be happy to show it off (once the car is back together).

'JustDreamin'
Yeah, I'll have to take him up on that.

With all the muscle cars going for ludicrius prices...and ever since reading HotRod and them throwing out their Dare to be Different challenges, the resurgence of rat rods...it's kinda taking that direction (at least in my mind).

BTW, are you thinking about the tool company off of Joppa road in Towson?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaron,

If you're building a road car that handles well, it gets more and more difficult as the power to wieght ratio increases. It also becomes more difficult to properly sort it out to find good balance due to the strong throttle steer tendency. Straight-line cars are far less complex to deal with when compared to a road or roadrace setup. A front heavy car will always be difficult to manage on a road course. FWIW.

Andy1
Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Andy1
Aaron,

If you're building a road car that handles well, it gets more and more difficult as the power to wieght ratio increases. It also becomes more difficult to properly sort it out to find good balance due to the strong throttle steer tendency. Straight-line cars are far less complex to deal with when compared to a road or roadrace setup. A front heavy car will always be difficult to manage on a road course. FWIW.

Andy1
I know...that's why I'm thinking this thing will probably be somewhere near 50/50 and cross and corner weights spot on. I'm not sticking with exact lotus 7 frame conventions.

Engine and trans will be shoved as far rearward as physically possible (while taking the driver and passanger into consideration).
Old 02-02-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

BTW, are you thinking about the tool company off of Joppa road in Towson?
Yup, they'd be Big Yellow in my book.....Working on a new project for them currently.

I love the dare to be different approach. Probably explains why I've got a V8 powered Bravada. Also explains why I think Argon-Z's project car is pretty cool.

I hope to have the resources (time, $$$, & garage) to build a 2 seat sportscar. Maybe in a couple years. Maybe by then my daughter will be able to help (18months now). I'd love to be able to build a lightweight V8 powered 2 seater with a tube chassis, minimal bodywork and creature comforts (although power steering, brakes, and a radio would be desirable, and maybe heat). I keep thinking that AWD will be about the only way to get the power to the ground (like Summits' QuadraDeuce). And I wouldn't want anything less than V8 power (of the 5 vehicles I (and the wife) own, all of them now have V8's and the smallest is a 5.0L in a Merc Mountaineer) there's something about the sound that I just can't do without.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron, I don't know if you'll find this useful, but I did exactly that: built my own suspension, including control arms and uprights. I wrote an article for Popular Hot Rodding about how my friends and I did it: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ed_suspension/

I've also got some additional photos at http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/Front%20Suspension/

I have more stuff than that if you're interested.

jp
Old 02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id use the C5 sealed bearing hub assembly. it just has 3 bolts that attach it to the upright, a good 5 lug pattern. All you'd need to do is design upper and lower balljoint mounting locations, and steering.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Northern Harford...above Bel Air.

Ah a Duck Farmer.

Give John Parsons article a read it’s a good one. I actually machined the upright and made most of the other machined parts.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:40 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by B Schein
Ah a Duck Farmer.

Give John Parsons article a read it’s a good one. I actually machined the upright and made most of the other machined parts.
Yes, but no...went to Tech...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by parsonsj
Aaron, I don't know if you'll find this useful, but I did exactly that: built my own suspension, including control arms and uprights. I wrote an article for Popular Hot Rodding about how my friends and I did it: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ed_suspension/

I've also got some additional photos at http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/Front%20Suspension/

I have more stuff than that if you're interested.

jp
John!...now I'm REALLY attracting some attention, I have been over your site in the past and have read your articles. I think those two articles in PHR are part of inspiration to do this "My way."

I suppose I need to revisit them, and I'm surprised I haven't. I think I still have the two issues too (I clean through my material every once in a while, try and save what I'll need for reference).

Thanks for weighting in, I'll revisit your site and definately keep you book marked in my mind for when this thing finally starts to take form.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron, glad to help. You'll need real machine equipment and an excellent machinist. I was lucky to have Brian's help when we did mine (and then later, his).

Good luck, and keep us informed on your progress.

jp
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Teching In

I went to Tech to Graduated in 99
Old 02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, but no...went to Tech...
Which Tech you guys refering to? I gradiumdated from VT in 95.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-03-2007, 05:16 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

I think I know you...PM coming...
Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Which Tech you guys refering to? I gradiumdated from VT in 95.

'JustDreamin'
Harford...

Small world...
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Harford...
Ah...I graduated from Virginia Tech. Just a tensy bit further south (and west).

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I was just poking fun at him for being from North Harford. You kind of have to grow up in "Hazard count" as Stach always refers to it to understand. Harford County is a funny place.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:20 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Ah...I graduated from Virginia Tech. Just a tensy bit further south (and west).

'JustDreamin'
Harford Tech is a high school...

Actually went to Delaware for my Undergrad work.

Quick Reply: Anyone fabbed their own uprights or suspension?