Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd issue with my LED check engine light...can someone check theirs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 3/16" LEDs with snap-in bezels/lenses at Frys (aka outpost.com) and soldered resistors on myself. The snap-in's don't work very, so I used some hot glue on the back side to hold them in and provide some strain relief for the wiring. I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks, other than the highbeam indicator (the clear dot under the 10K mark on the tach). The highbeam indicator is a 1/8 blue LED with just a bezel, no lense, and I kept adding more resistors to it until it wasn't painful to look at in the dark. The turn signals are mounted way too high in the Covan's panel--if I sit straight up, I can't see them at all. I made a harness for the instrument cluster with 3 different sizes of Metripack connectors so I can pull the whole panel out to work on it and put it back in without having to figure out where each terminal hooks on each gauge every time.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I like the idea of the Metripack connectors. Where did you get those from?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing with my wiring. Except I used weather pack connectors. When I remove my dash/gauges, I can remove my speedo and tach, unhook their wires, and still leave the other 4 gauges in place still hooked up.

That was the only hassle as far as wiring goes. I mean the rest of the engine harness was all self contained. The bulk of underdash work was the gauges. SO I tried to do it as neatly as possible so that in the future if I have to work on it it's easier on me.

Good idea with the metripack connectors... Ide be inerested in knowing where you picked those up as well...

Justin
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

I got a kit of Metripacks from Caspers Electronics--they're in the sponsers list here.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of pics of my setup at night time... Gives you an idea of the brightness of the radio shack lights... Like I said, they are plenty bright especially at night.

(Plus I like posting pictures...

My view

Aux gauges and warning lights. MIL on the left, ebrake on the right.

Here is a view from the passenger seat.

Justin
Old 04-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
01WS6/tamu: Thats what I was thinking... Its just weird that none of the codes that my scan gauge is showing triggers the light to come on. Im wondering if the previous tuner set the SES setting to off...so the codes set but dont trip the light. Im going to be moving my scan gauge from my console to my dash...so the warning lights will be moved. I might just try to change them to bulbs. The LEDS are kinda crappy/cheap looking anyway.

Quick Double Nickel: Im not sure which part you were talking about with that link... But my warning lights are just single LED bulbs, that are set up to run on 12V. Resistor built in etc etc... They are from radio shack. Here is a pic of the bulbs that Im using for my warning lights....

I think I might change up the bulbs since I have to re-do things alittle on the dash. Now's the time...

Justin
iam looking to do the same idea.how do you have it hooked up.is it one side 12v the other side(ground) to the pcm.
thanks

Quick Reply: Wierd issue with my LED check engine light...can someone check theirs??