Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay mock-up trick

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine bay mock-up trick

Here's a little trick I'm using to determine the engine location in my E28 BMW. I have a front-sump GTO oil pan and I've bolted on a piece of conduit which is in the same position as the engine crankshaft. It sticks out the front the same distance as the crank pulley. It sticks out the back to represent the transmission u-joint.

I placed the pan and conduit in the engine bay with a 3/4" block on top of the cross-member. The virtual crank center line almost perfectly matches the original 3.5L center line. I can now take measurements from the pan up and out to check clearances. One of the attached pix shows a simulated position for the driver's side exhaust manifold. (Shown is a '98-'99 Camaro which is a stamped steel unit--easier to modify if needed.)

The other pictures show the side view of the GMC Envoy pan still on the engine vs. the GTO. The Envoy is sort of front sump but it doesn't have enough kick-up at the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Engine bay mock-up trick-dscn1054.jpg   Engine bay mock-up trick-dscn1069.jpg   Engine bay mock-up trick-dscn1061.jpg   Engine bay mock-up trick-dscn1066.jpg  
Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smart.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very clever mockup. Beats swinging big hunks of metal around. I see two problems with the GTO pan though.
1. Dipstick will hit A/C.
2. Two lower A/C mounting bolts have no boss on the pan to bolt to.

Edit: Dipstick is okay.

Last edited by motorhead0922; 02-06-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine bay mock-up trick