Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove an engine harness from F body

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove an engine harness from F body

I have also posted this in the LT1 section but thought it might be well answered here too. Anyway I have my engine harness sold if I can get the damn thing out. I have never read anywhere how to remove these things easily. I have never had one out nor have I ever seen any good pictures. I removed the glovebox and started to remove the dashpad but neither is revealing. What's the easiest/fastest way to remove this bitch? I was hoping that I would take the glovebox out and see the connectors but no such luck.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94 has the puter in the engine bay, no?

if so, move the puter, grab the grommet where the wires go into the firewall, pull like hell until you get get a nice hold of them and wiretie them to something (make a chain if you have to) and you can unplug at your leisure...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll use Ed Wright's suggestion first, lol. I don't want to risk pulling apart a wire. However this makes a nice last resort!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

dhdenney, you are in luck. I just pulled a 94 automatic trans harness out last night.....well, it took me about four evenings, but I finally got it all last night.

I started with the oil level sensor because it is the last one (or longest peice of wire) on the entire harness, then I went from there pulling all connectors and marking as I unplugged them. I worked back to the right side of the engine compartment all the way over to the computer. Just below the computer, you have a group of wires that goes thru the firewall and I think they controll the heater and A/C. Take loose the right side kick panel and you will see what I am talking about. From there, I did what I did with the engine part and tagged all connectors as I unplugged all the way around to the left side of the engine bay. I had to take out the ABS unit and the power booster to get the harness out. From the inside, I didn't have to take the dash harness out, but I did have to pull the bolts out of the steering colum to lower it so I could get to the ignition switch connector. If I remember right, the things that connect to the engine harness are the brake light switch, ignition switch, airbag sensor (one), turn signal switch, some big *** computer looking thing (I think it's the ABS computer??) and then the initial harness plug that plugs into the rest of the dash.

A little note, when you pull the harness out of the firwall, (pull towards the engine bay) pay close attention to the sharp edges of the firewall because it will strip the insulation off of some of the wires.

I have yet to get the dash harness out yet, but I will prolly get to that by the weekend.

I was amazed at how long this harness was. All streached out, it's about 4 feet longer than the entire car!!!!

Good luck, I hope this helped out.

Joe
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I just need the engine harness, not the whole body harness. But it is my understanding that removing the kick panel will reveal my connections to unplug to get the engine harness out?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

If this is a 94 Camaro, take out the passenger side kick panel and there are 4 or 5 connectors for the heater and a/c, disconnect those and you will be able to pull out that group of wires that potrude thru the right side of the firewall. You won't need to pull the drivers side kick panel because there is nothing engine related behind it.

Joe
Old 02-08-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Excellent. That's what Ed said but I wanted to double check.

Quick Reply: How to remove an engine harness from F body