Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swapping into G-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swapping into G-body

Hello All, New to this forum and hope to learn a lot. I have a 1980 el camino, recently my mom has been getting tired of my creditcard bill from all the gas it uses. She suggested i put an engine that gets better millage in, naturally i agree completly, lol. So what do i look for in an LS1? I see them on ebay as pulled engines complete with transmission. Are those to be trusted? Im gonna research the local yards first.

In any case I would just like a quick run down of the process and any suggestions. My uncle and I would be doing the work ourselves, He has been working with cars for almost 30 years and he is able to fabricate, although i admit most of his work is done on the body of cars. How long does a swap normally take you guys? Thanks for any input at all, i really want to treat my baby right.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look here for your swap questions http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/ Ioffer the motor mounts and oil pan mods for a direct bolt-in. PM me for details if you're interested.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Teching In

I'm working on the same swap right now but in my 87 Monte SS. I'm going to be ordering some motor mounts from John B pretty soon, after I get my engine bay all cleaned up and painted.

Id say the ones you find on ebay should be alright. There is a seller with the name Fparts who has good feedback and sells a lot of LS1s.

Personally I'm probably going to build mine starting with a 6.0L Iron block and gather parts and put everything together myself. This will *probably* turn out to be more expensive than just buying the stock LS1 swap but I'll end up with a faster car in the end.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I recognize Fparts as a seller. The goal of the swap is to have a peppy car with much improved driveability. Should i get an auto or go for the T-56? I assume the T-56 is a lot more work to get in an cleaned up.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my malibu wagon, i made my own mounts, most of the time was just waiting on little parts here and there.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Yes, the T56 will be a little more work, it's probably going to be worth it for you if you like driving stick. If not...stick with the auto. I really can't decide which I want yet. It's all personal preference on that one.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i bought two engines from spacecoast motorworks, and i have orders for atleast one more pending.. he is a member here too btw.. but he sells LS1's on ebay, and i vouch for him...

i just got my engine for my 80 bu today.. and the wireing seems daunting.. but i guess ill have to figure it out..
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool another LSx G-Body

John`s site is one that you want to read, it is the bible of swapping a LSx into a a/g-body and has a lot of info that is valuable no matter what you are putting the engine into. You may also want to read this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=camino it has some info specific to El Caminos. If you are looking for wiring info check out the FAQ sticky. There are also a bunch of pictures of my swap on my f-quick account(link in my sig).

Time for the swap is something that varies greatly with how motivated and prepared you are. I did my swap in 2 weeks (well 3 weeks, but I went on vacation the middle week and did nothing to the car), by the end of the second week the car was running but not finnished. I didn`t have a speedo, tach, temp gauge, gearshift indicator, the intake consisted of flexible dryer duct.....etc but the car was again driveable. I had a lot of motivation though since it is my only car and school started the week after I had the car running. There were also a lot of 16-18 hour days in those 2 weeks. I would say that a month would be a reasonable goal, but there are people who have spent 6+ months before they had a running car. It all depends on how much research you do to prepare, and how often you are going to work on it. I was working on my swap every day for those 2 weeks.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Im starting to plan the swap out, forming a budget now. I was wondering what you guys do about the rearend and driveshaft. Is my rearend going to be good enough? i dont know what gearing it is but i think its 2.73 and posi. I'm looking for 350-400 horsepower at the wheels. and a good strong top end (enough to make use of z-rated tires anyway)

As far as the engine goes im hoping to do away with the cats. i want to know what im doing to the engine while its out of the car. i think i need about 400 flywheel horsepower to get as much power to wheels as i want, right? the LS1 can do this with moderate bolt on's right? the selling point for my financing is better gas mileage (parents).

I'm making a power point, and trying to explain a budget to them. I'm new to the LS1, and what it can do. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my stock driveshaft shortened, but if you plan on top end high speed runs you should probably have a new custom aluminum driveshaft made. The EC driveshafts are very long so they have a low critical speed. I have vibrations when I get to 80+ for sustained periods of time, but I am running 3.73`s and 25.8" tires. Google Driveshaft critical speed and you will see what I am talking about .

As for the rear you can run the stock rear if its in good shape. The 8.5" grand national rear ends are a bolt in (the driveshaft is 1" shorter than if it was a 7.5" rear, but everything else bolts up) and they are a very strong rear end, but they are also costly (average $500-800). I know there are at least a few EC`s with LSx engines and the factory 7.5" rears, it all depends how much you beat on it. EC` are traction limited with street tires, on dry pavement I start spinning the tires at ~1/4 throttle so that limits the stress on the rear end. If you run street tires you probably won`t have any problems, but if you put slicks on and start launching the car you may break the rear end.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

By the way, here is a pic of the car i plan on working on.

So what do ya think is she worthy?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 8.5 out of a Grand National. the stock 7.5 will not hold up very well. I had a 3inch drive shaft made from drive shaft shop.

Quick Reply: LS1 swapping into G-body