Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to decide on which LSX to use! BMW.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I find it hard to believe myself, but some people actually use the search function here. Unlike a for sale ad where the lifespan of the info is usually very short, topics such as this one can have relevant info months or sometimes years after the fact.

I recently found some new info on an issue I had with my Supra conversion. I'm glad someone posted the info onto an older thread, otherwise I would not have another possible answer to my problem.

I started my BMW build recently, and found this thread from March. It irritates me when potential builders get locked into the "I have to pay $3200~$4000 for a pull out LS1/T56/4L60" mindset based on "conventional wisdom". This simply is not true, and I'm spreading the good news where ever I can.

BTW, on the 39K mile aluminum block L33 for my BMW the numbers have broken down as follow:
Motor: $850
Sale of heads: -200 (negated by cost of replacement 317 units)
Sale of ETB: -50 (negated by cost of cable unit)
Sale of oil pan & misc. other parts: -140
C5 intake & rails: +100
Net cost: $810

Have to add other stuff such as an aftermarket pan and larger injectors, which I would have had to do w/ any of the other motors as well.

The point is, you can offset much of your replacement parts costs by selling the stuff you aren't using and being a good shopper.

I am getting an 02 T56 with LS6 clutch $ FW for $1250 shipped.

Net powertrain cost w/o aftermarket items: $2060. That is about $1200~1900 I can use for turbo or other swap stuff as needed. You simply are not going to find a complete LS1 for <$900 that is in any kind of decent shape. Most of the $1800~2K motors I looked at had well over 100K miles on them, one was even disassembled.

Quick Reply: Need to decide on which LSX to use! BMW.