Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Setup help for my LS1 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Setup help for my LS1 conversion

I'm building an LS1 into a chopped up range rover using Unimog portal axles to produce an off road beast.

Having real problems sorting out my fuelling system.

I have an LS1 from an 01 camaro and i am trying to install the fuelling system. As far as i can see there is a return line from the fuel rails, but i can't work out if their is a pressure regulator there too- what do the LS1 pressure regulators look like and how do i identify if i need one or not?

My tank is going to be a 35gal monster to meet certain comp regs- are there any benefits to having an in tank pump and regulator or should i just stick the whole lot outside of the tank for ease of replacement?

thanks

Jim
Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will likely need to provide your own regulator. you can use a fuel filter from a 99-04 vette. locate it close to your tank and you can create a small return line.

the downside is then you need to swap your metal fuel line to a returnless style. (97-98 style for vettes. can be found on ebay) I don't know if you can or should attempt to plug the return line on your fuel rails.

The benefit is cooler fuel and less fuel lines to deal with/ leak, etc. as you're not recycling fuel from the engine back to the tank.

I'm pretty sure the camaro/ firebirds were regulated from the tank.

On corvettes, the 99-04's used the fuel filter as it has a regulator built in.

The 97-89 vettes I believe had a regulator attached on the metal fuel rails on the engine. It had a vacuum tube on it.

Later that part became a "pulse regulator". (no vacuum tube) Not exactly sure what that does, but I don't think it will serve as the fuel pressure regulator.

As for the pump location I'd add it inside the tank. It'll run cooler and last longer being submersed in gas. Hopefully your tank will be well baffled to help keep gas by the pickup tube so it does not suck up air.

I hope this helps.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Last edited by tuske427; 03-12-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep,the camaro had the regulator in the tank with the pump.

Quick Reply: Fuel Setup help for my LS1 conversion