Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/4L60E to 71 A-body info needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ4/4L60E to 71 A-body info needed

This is my first post on LS1Tech! I have a 71 Cutlass Supreme with a built 355 SB Olds. I am a die-hard Oldsmobile guy, but the prices and lack of a aftermarket have driven me insane. So too remedy this I am acquiring a LQ4/4L60E dropout complete from a pick-up. I am knowledgeable about the electrical requirements, however the actual fitting of the engine is greek to me. I would like this to be a very straight forward swap, nothing exotic. I planned on using Trans-dapt LS1 mounts on the block and standard Chevelle SBC frame mounts. 2 questions arise from this: I will need a modified F-body oil pan correct? Secondly, will the trans tunnel require any modification and will the cross member have to move? Next question is the fuel system: I have a sumped stock tank in the car right now, if i run -06 from the sump into a EFI inline pump then up to a bypass regulator then on to the fuel rail will this be a good functioning system?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
I will need a modified F-body oil pan correct?
Not necessarily, but it depends on where the frame mounts are located. I have a LQ9/4L80E setup using BRP style motor mount adapters, but in order to use an unmodified pan, I have to install the engine and trans separately. The LSx engine is too tall to install both together and clear the firewall and crossmember at the same time.

Secondly, will the trans tunnel require any modification and will the cross member have to move?
My crossmember is stock except for clearancing for the a/c compressor, but if you're using transdapt (same as S&P) style adapters, it does not allow for retention of the ac compressor. My trans tunnel only required some minor massaging with a bfh.

Next question is the fuel system: I have a sumped stock tank in the car right now, if i run -06 from the sump into a EFI inline pump then up to a bypass regulator then on to the fuel rail will this be a good functioning system?
Sounds good except for that the fuel line needs to go to the fuel rail before it goes to the regulator. So tank, feed line line, pump, pressure line, fuel rail, regulator, return line.

The stock fuel rail, if it is a return style, should have a built in vacuum referenced regulator.

Hope this helps. There's alot of helpful info in the stickys located at the top of this section, and several swaps have been done in Chevelles and are easily found by using the search function. There's some details in the link located in my signature as well. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, thanks for the info. I am not planning on using A/C so with the Trans-dapt mounts do you think the trans tunnel will need modification?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry that was dumb...I did have to modify my transmission crossmember and most likely you will have to as well with the 4L60. Since my 4L80 fit without much modification to the trans tunnel, I doubt it would be an issue with a 4L60, but that depends if there are any major differences with a cutlass, and the driveline angle that you end up with, depending on the motor mounts and trans mouting.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Ok thanks, I'm checking out the stickies, great wealth of knowledge.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Check the link in my sig. Hopefully I will be finished soon.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on some of the other A-Body swaps. There are many and most will have good info. My swap has been on the road since the end of last year. There is a link for my project also. (Need to update with new pic's)

Quick Reply: LQ4/4L60E to 71 A-body info needed