Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers for LS7 in a first gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:01 AM
Needs to finish car

Question Headers for LS7 in a first gen Camaro

First, I know that there are like a million options for headers for this conversion, but sadly I don't think any are a bolt in for my car.

My LS7 is mounted on the higher big block mounts. The car has a 21st Century C5 subframe on it, and to maintain the rack placement, the engine had to be raised from the normal position due to the oil lines cast into the pan. The subframe also is mounted on the shorter body mounts, which compounds the problem even further.

Basically, my problem is floor pan clearance, so I guess what I am wondering is if anybody has any ideas for what I can do header wise. I think the big block mounts put the engine about 3/4" higher than the small block ones, but I am not really sure. The body mounts put the engine about another 1/2" higher relative to the floor. I am willing to modify headers to fit, but at the same time I don't want to have to waste time and money on something that won't work.

Too bad I have a GTO instead of an LS1 f-body, as this would be the perfect excuse to buy headers. I am pretty sure the GTO headers won't fit though.
Old 03-22-2007 | 11:31 AM
On The Tree

On something that custom you are looking at a complete fabrication of headers most likely. You can always buy a kit and go that route. would probably be quicker and less of a headache.
Old 03-22-2007 | 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

21st Century, they built the headers for the Bad Penny car in PHR, they should be able to build you some too,
Old 03-22-2007 | 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS7.....first gen camaro....
I dont think you can post those in the same sentence without pics on this board.
Old 03-22-2007 | 02:55 PM
Needs to finish car

Steve, 21st Century's headers won't fit with the engine where it is. I sent them my oil pan to test the fit of the engine in the frame, and they customized the frame a little to make it fit. At the time, they told me that their headers would not fit, so this basically leaves me with custom building as the only option. That is, unless I can figure out a way to modify something that is already out there and mass produced. The custom option looks like it is going to run about $2k minimum to have someone do it. I'd love to do it myself, but I don't have the time or the welding skill to do it right now.

Edit: Gen3Benz, just since you asked here's a little teaser from when we test fit the motor in the car for the first time. I'll to throw some more resent pics online a little later.

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

baller
Old 03-23-2007 | 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris442
Edit: Gen3Benz, just since you asked here's a little teaser from when we test fit the motor in the car for the first time. I'll to throw some more resent pics online a little later.

ok...its later.
That subframe is sweet.
I checked out 21st century street machines website looking for the price and......if you have to ask you cant afford it!
Old 03-24-2007 | 01:08 AM
Needs to finish car

Alright, alright, I still haven't gotten around to taking the latest off of my camera, but here's the general rundown. There hasn't really been too much visible progress, but there has been progress.

This is the four link from Detroit Speed and Engineering, it's hooked up to a narrowed Currie 9-inch:

Here are the mods in the trunk for the suspension, along with minitubs also from DSE. This setups will allow us to run 335s in the back:

Then:

Now, and don't mind the rat's nest of wires, it's still a work in progress:

Here are the C6 Z06 brakes (the car has more vette parts on it that Camaro parts, lol). 14 in rotors mean 18 in wheels:

We're still waiting on the wheels, so I don't have any pictures of those yet. They are 18 in Fikses, and they are just going to make the car look awesome. The tires will be 275s in front and 335s in back, so the thing ought to stick to the road. You couldn't see in these pics, but the car a has T56 with the Viper output shaft with MN6 ratios. Hopefully, in the next month or two, the car will really come together. The goal is to have it on the road by the end of June for the prime driving weather here in Phoenix. Seriously, the goal is to drive to Hot August Nights in Reno in the first week of August.
Old 03-24-2007 | 02:24 AM
Launching!

Nice project Chris. Have you looked into the ATS www.t56kit.com custom headers yet?

Not sure if they will fit with your subframe, but you might as well ask.

Mark Stielow ran them on his LS7 '69 but he is running a stock subframe: http://www.lateral-g.net/stielow/
Old 03-24-2007 | 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jst like my car, I just modified the stock sub, I'm doing the DSE Q link, 335 rears 245 fronts Which Fiskes are you running ?? Cars looking good,
Old 03-24-2007 | 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Damn nice hardware there! If you call Stainless Works, they could probably just build you a set of 1-7/8 longtubes for the engine.

Quick Reply: Headers for LS7 in a first gen Camaro