Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevelle Mount Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete. Great to hear your nearing the completion and doesn't if feel great to turn the key and have the engine roar to life !.. I feel a great releif once I had mine fired up and everything checked out ok (oil, water, etc)..

keep us posted..!.. almost ready to say.. one more A-Body done !...
Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to see progress, and nice to see tou finally started it up! JOHN
Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

what unit did you put into the chevelle gas tank? I assume you are using the stock float for the gauge and that is a fuel pump unit only? I would rather do that mod than cut another trunk floor for the caprice gas tank.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bczee I could agree more especially after building the engine also that just made me even more nervous but fortunately everything turned out great. Hopefully in the next couple weeks you can add my name to that list.

Drptop70ss the fuel pump unit I am using is from tanksinc. Basicly its a pump that has a little bucket it sits in to prevent starvation. All it requires is that you cut a 4.5 inch hole in your tank. However, since I have done my tank a company (I don't recall the name but a search should turn it up) has come out with stock apearing tanks for A-bodies that have baffles and an internal pump built in for around $600 I believe. If those had been available at the time I did mine, I would have seriously considered going that route instead.

Thanks for the kind words everybody I will keep you posted.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Ok guys got some updates and some pictures for ya:

Here is a picture of the plate we fabricated to pull the T.V. Cable for the 700r4. This is probably version #3 but after some trial and error I think it is gonna work very nicely.

Here is a picture of the Dodge Intrepid fans I picked up from the local junkyard. They fit even better than I had hoped for. A perfect fit width wise but a little short in height but they should be fine. They also move quite a bit of air.

I ended up ditching the ragjoint set up in favor of a u-joint for clearance. I was able to cut off the steering shaft and then grind it into the shape of a double d so the u-joint fit great.

Here is just a pic of how everything looks installed. I still need to do something for an intake and cleanup the wires a little more. However I was able to take it for a spin around the block which was nice.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

All Right Pete...!...

Where did you get the U-Joint and is there a part number #?.... I might look into doing this also.. as I have a very small amount of clearance also..

Do you have early or late Throttle body (small or large throttle cam) or what year is it ?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good buddy, you'll be on the road in no time!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
All Right Pete...!...

Where did you get the U-Joint and is there a part number #?.... I might look into doing this also.. as I have a very small amount of clearance also..

Do you have early or late Throttle body (small or large throttle cam) or what year is it ?
Thanks, the U-joint is a borgeson piece and I don't have the part number handy (car is in oklahoma city I go to school at OSU in stillwater) but I can get it to you. I will say the splined end is different than what would work with a stock chevelle box as I have swapped in a grand cherokee box. However I can tell you on my car the shaft was 3/4" and I think it was 36 spline for the gc box.

As for the throttle body its definitely not a 98 but I did purchase it seperately from the long block but I want to say it is off a 2000 f-body. So in other words I think its the larger cam.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Looking good buddy, you'll be on the road in no time!
Thanks unfortunately even when mine is done I won't have the sweet magnacharger like you have haha. I have been keeping an eye on your build and its definitely coming along nicely.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Thought I would add another little update. Got the exhaust done last week, I didn't take a pic but its 2.5" with an H-pipe dumped before the axle using my old 3" in 3" out flowmasters. My exhaust guy claimed he couldn't make it around the tranny x-member with 3" which I am not too happy about but 2.5" should be plenty. Other than that its ready to hit the open road just need to get it tagged and insured again.

Here is a pic of the engine bay in basicly completed form. I still need to extend the intake to behind the headlight but I have the fittings and will probably use some 4" PVC pipe painted black.

Here is a pic of the Rev-Xtreme catch-can setup. I have heard all the problems that LS1's have with oil consumption so I am hoping to stop the problem before it starts. I should note the built in PCV valve rattles a bit at idle but I can't hear it inside the car.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

looks great!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

btw if you don't mind can you please make a template for the 700r4 brackets...if my 4l60e takes a **** on me, my old transmission might find its way in
Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

I think it would be really hard to make a template because its such a custom application. The amount of room for play is 0 and there are too many variables involving the cable and the mount you use for it. If there is anything I can do as far as more pics/advice lemme know though. I will say that my bracket is the result of about 4 failed attempts each tweaking it a bit to work for my setup.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i was going to do the same thing took the shaft to speedway and they had u joints up to 3/4" round and 1" DD and and the shaft for my 68 is a 1inch round at the bottom. Im running the cherokee box.

I am having the same mount issues. I have Edelbrock mounts and no chevrolet frame stands.

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
Thanks, the U-joint is a borgeson piece and I don't have the part number handy (car is in oklahoma city I go to school at OSU in stillwater) but I can get it to you. I will say the splined end is different than what would work with a stock chevelle box as I have swapped in a grand cherokee box. However I can tell you on my car the shaft was 3/4" and I think it was 36 spline for the gc box.

As for the throttle body its definitely not a 98 but I did purchase it seperately from the long block but I want to say it is off a 2000 f-body. So in other words I think its the larger cam.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well hopefully this thread cleared up some of the issues for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Project looks great, Starting my '67 El Camino TT LS3 in the next couple weeks. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.. !.. this project thread started almost a half a decade ago !..early 07'.. and finished up in 09'... good info to research on many of the old project builds.

If you have a new project, start a new thread !..

BC
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gas Tank

Ok, ok, I know you said the gas tank was straight forward...But for those of us who lack that common sence can you help us out??? Where did you get the sending unit? What did you use to neutralize the tank before you started cutting? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

I have never come across this thread before. I am glad to see that there is someone else out there too stubborn to switch to a 4L trans. I may have missed it somewhere, but were you able to figure out a way to get the tcc to engage or do you just use a switch inside the car?

James
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with solid mounts and ended up welding them in. Dunno if this pic will help, but worth a mention. I know the cars are different, but maybe weld-in mounts will give you some options.

Quick Reply: Chevelle Mount Issues.