Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 to ls2 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 to ls2 swap

I have searched through alot of threads and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I know I've seen a couple of guys on here put an ls2 in thier f body. I've got a 2000 camaro ss and was wondering what complications I will run into for the swap? So far I've found that I need to relocate the knock sensors and the cam sensor. What other changes will I need to do? Also will my t-56 bolt up to the ls2 block or do I need a differant bell housing? Any help would be appretiated! If you know of a thread containing the info I need please show the link if you can(I'm sure there are some on here). Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe you are golden on the trans. im pretty sure you only have to worry about the 2 sensors and the pan(im pretty sure you will have to re use yours)
Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Teching In

we put an iron block 6.0 in a 99 ss. trans bolted up fine, used the ls1 heads ported, no redoing sensors or anything. it runs like a beast. but its up to you whether or not you want an iron block.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

You have to relocate the map sensor if you use an LS2 setup. There a couple of other small things too. Oil pan from an Fbody. I think the throttle body too. LS2 is a 4 bolt pattern.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Default ls2 swap

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appretiate it! I have a fast intake and a nw throttle body so I wont have to worry about the throttle body conversion. I was wondering what everybody is using for the bellow from the air lid to the maf though. 90mm?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Is it really worth switching to a ls2 vs. just adding heads and cam to a ls1? This is of course assuming thats it's a stout ls1 with low miles. Not saying it's stupid, just cuious as to why go that route.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

The knock sensors are no big deal, they just have to make contact with the block. If you use your stock PCM then all the sensors stay the same.

If you try using 2006 or newer PCM then you have to worry about the crank sensor, some new cranks have more teeth than the old ones and the harness' & sesnors aren't universal.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
Is it really worth switching to a ls2 vs. just adding heads and cam to a ls1? This is of course assuming thats it's a stout ls1 with low miles. Not saying it's stupid, just cuious as to why go that route.
I just turned 167K!!! I think its time for a new block! lol I am going to go with a 408 supercharged in the future but his is my daily driver and I would like to catch any problems before they happen! I am shure they are quickly aproaching due to the milage! I am amazed at how well it still runs though!

Thanks for all of your help guys!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by a10beav
The knock sensors are no big deal, they just have to make contact with the block. If you use your stock PCM then all the sensors stay the same.

If you try using 2006 or newer PCM then you have to worry about the crank sensor, some new cranks have more teeth than the old ones and the harness' & sesnors aren't universal.
Thats good news! I was worried about having to switch out pcm's! Thanks again
Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

I just sent payment for my ls2 block today! I cant wait to get it all done! I am going to go with the l92 setup but need help with a cam, any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

I think I have just about everything lined up

ls2 block
l92 heads
l76 complete assembly
Speartech wiring adaptors for map, cam, and knock sensors also the ls2 injector plug and play
All the accesories off of my ls1 including oil pan

Am I missing anything???

I still need help with

milling the heads- how much to mill for a good c/r and not run into clearance issues
headers- d port or oval port?
cam- what would be a good cam- I want a pretty hot cam
head gaskets- what would be a good gasket for this setup

Any help is greatly appretiated. Thanks