Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer Gauges for LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Gauges for LS1?

I'm getting ready to buy Autometer Ultralite, Silver face water/oil pres/volt gauges, and was wondering if its common to go with mechanical or electric sending units for the water temp & oil press. I know the fittings are different that come with the two types of gauges. Also, what spots on the motor are best for hooking up the oil press & water temp? I'm going with 2 5/8" size gauges. Thanks for any info or help!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say its probably more common to use elec. gauges. And easier as well. You only have to run a single wire from the sender to the gauge, as opposed to running a capilary tube or nylon tube (pita). The rear of the passenger side head is the best place for the temp sender. There is a bolt/plug back in that head...in the same location as the front sensor on the drivers head. The threads are weird and you can handle this two ways. You can re-tap that hole to some thread size that is more popular, or you can buy an adapter. I cant remember the thread sizes at the moment, but autometer sells the adapter. It will go from whatever the size is in the block (metric) to 1/8" NPT for the sender.

For the oil pressure, use the stock oil pressure sender location. Your pcm doesnt need oil pressure info as long as its an f-body motor and harness. You will need an adapter back there as well. And if you use a 45* fitting, the big autometer sender will fit just fine back there. Atleast it should... Ill try to find those thread sizes and post em back up unless someone beats me too it.

OH...and word of warning. Dont get in a hurry and hook up that voltage gauge. It has three terminals on the back like all other autometer gauges, but you only use two of them. I hooked up all three because I didnt look at the directions, and it didnt work until I did. Just FYI!

Anymore questions just ask.

Justin

Ok, did some legwork. For the oil pressure you want autometer part number 2268 (1/8" NPT to M16x1.5 ), and for the water temp you want part number 2277 (1/8" NPT to M12x1.5). You probably wanna order two of the water temp ones...they are really easy to break, and its nice to have an extra just in case. Here is the thread that will help ya out and has the info I just posted...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rmarket+gauges

And here is the page on autometer with the part numbers and all that...

http://autometer.com/cat_accessorieslist.aspx?pid=11

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 04-16-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS! Thats a huge help!!!

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I would say its probably more common to use elec. gauges. And easier as well. You only have to run a single wire from the sender to the gauge, as opposed to running a capilary tube or nylon tube (pita). The rear of the passenger side head is the best place for the temp sender. There is a bolt/plug back in that head...in the same location as the front sensor on the drivers head. The threads are weird and you can handle this two ways. You can re-tap that hole to some thread size that is more popular, or you can buy an adapter. I cant remember the thread sizes at the moment, but autometer sells the adapter. It will go from whatever the size is in the block (metric) to 1/8" NPT for the sender.

For the oil pressure, use the stock oil pressure sender location. Your pcm doesnt need oil pressure info as long as its an f-body motor and harness. You will need an adapter back there as well. And if you use a 45* fitting, the big autometer sender will fit just fine back there. Atleast it should... Ill try to find those thread sizes and post em back up unless someone beats me too it.

OH...and word of warning. Dont get in a hurry and hook up that voltage gauge. It has three terminals on the back like all other autometer gauges, but you only use two of them. I hooked up all three because I didnt look at the directions, and it didnt work until I did. Just FYI!

Anymore questions just ask.

Justin

Ok, did some legwork. For the oil pressure you want autometer part number 2268 (1/8" NPT to M16x1.5 ), and for the water temp you want part number 2277 (1/8" NPT to M12x1.5). You probably wanna order two of the water temp ones...they are really easy to break, and its nice to have an extra just in case. Here is the thread that will help ya out and has the info I just posted...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...rmarket+gauges

And here is the page on autometer with the part numbers and all that...

http://autometer.com/cat_accessorieslist.aspx?pid=11
Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem man. Hope you get it all together. Like I said, just be real careful with those adapters for the rear of the head. They break really easy. I used alittle RTV on both sides of the gasket they give you, and alittle bit on the threads, and just snugged it up.

For the oil sender, if you need to angle it or whatever, just use brass fittings from home depot or a similar place.

Good luck!

Justin

Quick Reply: Autometer Gauges for LS1?