Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 engine and T56 tranny in 87 El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you order your elbow and k&N filter from?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
I spoke with a GM service tech and he came to this OEM solution. 85-87 el camino F.I. fuel tank (easy enough), 95 caprice sending unit (for the wires), and a 96 s10 blazer pump (he claims they put out about 60 psi). If this would work then it should be a complete bolt in operation and a OEM solution. Excellent in my point of view.
The El Camino tank will work, and the blazer pump should work as I have heard before that it has enough pressure/vol.

But I don`t think the 95 caprice sending unit will fit the El Camino tank. There is a fuel injected sending unit made specifically for the El camino which is a direct bolt in with the El Camino tank and blazer pump. However it is very difficult to find used and new senders are expensive (so far the only place I found them is GM). You could use a Monte Carlo TBI sender, but I don`t think it sticks down as deep in the tank, and IIRC it does not have a bend in it like the El Camino one does. (The El Camino mounts the top plate of the sender on a ~40 degree angle where most cars mount it flat.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
where did you order your elbow and k&N filter from?
Bought if from a member on here that was having a blowout sale! And the MC T.B.I. unit is long enough...looking at john b's sending unit with walbro pump installed and my unit with pump installed the length of the sending units are identical in length. i will email you a pic of my sending unit if you pm me your adress so you can compare...like i said earlier, call robert hernandez and see if he has any OEM tanks left. He usually has the sending unit with it for around $225 that's not to expensive in my opinon.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

The Made in Canada 17 gallon aftermarket tank works fine in my fuel injection conversion (1980 El Camino). The only problem I had with the tank was the straps were too tight, so I used longer bolts to hold it on. Also FI tanks have a tube in the fill neck which can make fuel splash out when you fill up.

I also modified the original fuel sender by strapping a Walbro 255lph pump on and adding a return line.

See my swap page for more details. Also look at the El Camino Central LT1 / LS1 forum.

Originally Posted by deeloc1
i have heard of problems with reproduction tanks and inadequate fuel delivery while turning.
Only way I could see this happening is if the tank is a non fuel injection tank, without the "bowl" for the pump to draw from.

I thought about using my non-FI tank and adding a "T" fitting and using a pair of pickups (like these) at the corners of the tank before I found a deal on my aftermarket tank.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Just ordered my Schoenfeld LT headers today!!!!!!! I'll let you guyd know how they look/fit when they arrive!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Hey guys thanks for the info i hadn't been on in a while, but here is what I've got going for me so far.
I bought an RCi aluminum fuel cell for about $250 an all aeromotive fuel supply(pump regulator and filters) and I think i might find someone to custom fab it to work right where the other one is and just cut a hole in my box to pump fuel into. I had to go with a nice big fuel pump because before i even drop my motor in i'm camming it out with Comp Cams XR269HR I believe is the grind number. Anyways its kinda a big cam so im also replacing the lifters and springs, and gonna buy LS1edit to reprogram my ecu to be able to handle the cam. Has anyone ever used the Aeroquip Socketless Fuel lines? I was wondering if they work good.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Alright my car is set to go into a custom shop in about a week here. I figured it would just be easier to have them do it. I picked up an aluminum universal radiator and am in the process of looking for an electric fan. And also a tranny cooler but everything that I look at says auto trannies, is there a difference, what kinda BTU's should I look at being able to get rid of? I plan on putting about 400 to the wheels after a few bolt-ons after I get it running(FAST intake, throttle body, headers, possibly NO2). Thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87Elky
And also a tranny cooler but everything that I look at says auto trannies, is there a difference, what kinda BTU's should I look at being able to get rid of?
You want to put a transmission cooler on a T56? The problem you will run into is there is no fluid pump in the transmission to pump the fluid to and from the cooler. You would have to use the drain plug as a source for fluid to cool, an external electric pump to pump the fluid to the cooler, which would then return into the fill plug in the transmission case.

I personally have never heard of anyone putting a cooler on a T56. Is it necessary? I wouldn't think so. Is it possible? Definitely. The hardest part would be finding the right pump. Making the lines wouldn't be too hard. You would have to either get some sort of thermostat to turn the pump on and off, or have it run the entire time the engine is on.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Ah i guess i didnt know it wasn't necessary. Is heat not as much of a problem with a manual as an auto? Thanks for the info
Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't need a cooler unless you plan on doing some SERIOUS road racing.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. My car goes to a custom shop next monday. Getting my all new fuel system from cell to regulator. What's the overall best(ease of install and price) for fuel lines? I was thinking maybe aeroquip's socketless hoses and AN fittings anyone use these? All new aluminum radiator and electric fan. An im thinking cause of my cam lifters and springs and other mods that i will send my ecu to wait4meperformance. I got all new autometer ultra-lite 2 gauges(3-3/8 and 2-1/16) speedo, tach, volt, oil press, fuel level, and water temp. Does anyone know where i can get a bezel to fit them in my car otherwise i will just make an aluminum one but dont wanna do that if i dont have to. Thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Hey its been a while since I posted because the shop I took my car too had to finish up a '32 Plymouth. Anyway its actually being worked on now. My 305 was pulled and the Ls1 is sitting in there fine, he has to chop up my sub-frame a bit so no brackets hit it but other than that it will go in smoothly. My pedals are mounted in the cab, and will work like they came with the car. The guys have 2 discrepincies tho, 1) where the shifter is going to come through the floor, I may be without a passenger seat(i have the split bench but only until I can afford buckets) and 2) my front springs, the 305 was obviously all iron, and going from that to all aluminum, has presented an issue with the compression of the springs. What are my options here? I know there is cutting the springs and buying new ones. What would I look for in new ones? Thanks for the help
Old 10-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Launching!

hey 87elky, your from devils lake north dakota arent you? this is jalbs man good to see your project coming along...mine is almost done just to get shoved away in a garage haha. im glad i led you to the right place.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Teching In

So my car is getting closer and closer to down. The shop now has the motor and transmission in the car bolted up. The pedals and shifter are installed, and I gotta say it looks like you couldve gone to a chevy dealer in 1986 and ordered a car and this is what they would have given you it's that good. Me sitting in the car pedals and shifter are at the perfect position to make it so shifting and clutching isnt a chore. I'm still waiting on wait4meperformance for a harness rework and computer tune. And the shop still needs to do my hi-perf radiator and electric fan, my custom gauge cluster(ultra lite by autometer set in oak panel), and my fuel system.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

if you would be so kind, pics?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 87Elky
So my car is getting closer and closer to down. The shop now has the motor and transmission in the car bolted up. The pedals and shifter are installed, and I gotta say it looks like you couldve gone to a chevy dealer in 1986 and ordered a car and this is what they would have given you it's that good. Me sitting in the car pedals and shifter are at the perfect position to make it so shifting and clutching isnt a chore. I'm still waiting on wait4meperformance for a harness rework and computer tune. And the shop still needs to do my hi-perf radiator and electric fan, my custom gauge cluster(ultra lite by autometer set in oak panel), and my fuel system.
How long has it been since you sent your pcm and harness to wait4meperformance??? I'm thinking about sending my stuff to them if there is a good turn around time. For anyone who has sent there harness and pcm to wait4meperformance, how long did it take for you to get your pcm and harness back???
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They're quick and do good work.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Teching In

I actually haven't sent the harness off yet cause the shop didn't get the thing outta the carbut its going in the mail tomorrow but i've heard nothing but good things about wait4meperformance car should be done by the end of january then come the pictures.

Quick Reply: LS1 engine and T56 tranny in 87 El Camino