Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Post-Bought LS1 Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 07:48 PM
Teching In

Default 1st Post-Bought LS1 Today

Just over from Corvette Forum. I purchased a LS1 (LS6 intake)/Automatic from a side wrecked 02' Camaro SS today. It comes with pretty much everything I think need to swap into my 76' Vette. I'm just learning about doing these conversions so I want to make sure I pick up everything I need when I pick up the engine tomorrow.
Here is my list so far:
ECU
Harness (how much harness shold I take?)
Dual Fans
Drive Shaft
Trans. Crossmember
Shifter

That's all I can think of. What else should I grab?????

TIA......Glenn P
Old 05-23-2007 | 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get all the harness! You want the driveshaft for the Yoke. Get the fans and radiator if you can, there are ways to make it work. The crossmember does you no good, but is nice to have while the trans is out as it helps to keep it from rolling. You want all of the accesories, including the air intake temperature sensor. There was another guy that got a mid year running with an LS1...
Old 05-23-2007 | 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure you get all of the emissions equipment! Don't want to upset Gov. Arnold!
Old 05-24-2007 | 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whoa, just noticed you are in Fallbrook. My wife grew up there, and I lived in Temecula after I got out of the Corps. Is CA up to 76 yet on emmisions exemptions yet?
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:08 AM
Teching In

The emissions stuff is what has me concerned. My 76 still needs smog inspections. I need to make sure I get EVERYTHING off the Camaro but I'm not sure what everything is. I've seen ads for motors with gas pedal, what the hell is that for? Are there any electrical components under the dash I may need? Where are all these relays located (fan, fuel pump, etc....).....GP
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some of the motors are drive by wire. The one you bought is drive by cable, so you don't have to worry about that. You will need to become freindly with someone that is pretty good at exhaust work, as you will need to get the cats fit in. Luckily, you don't have EGR to worry about, but you will need to get the AIR pipes hooked back up to the manifolds. Overall, there really aren't a lot of sensors and hookups. Just take really good notes and pictures when you are removing everything. The digital camera is your friend! You will need to hook up the OBDII test port (see stickies) to the computer harness, and you will need to make up a SES (CEL) light. Since you have the car, I suggest you start working out what bits of the relay box you want to re-use, like fans, fuel pump, and whatnot, and try to adapt the box. Before you do anything, you really want to have a pretty good plan of attack, as well as a pretty good idea of what each system is, how you need it to work, and what things you are going to farm out. If you decide to farm out the harness, I cannot reccomend Speartech strongly enough. Good, fast work. We used the S&P mount plates, but I think you will have much better luck using a steel mount plate like the ones at CPP. A lot of our problems in fitting the motor are due to the thickness of the aluminum plates. I don't know what accesories clearance issues you will have, but be prepared to do either a bit of cutting, or buying acc. relocation brackets. There is a module for the trans as well, make sure you get all of that. Otherwise, no shifting. Have you planned out your fuel system yet? Be aware of weird things like brake booster size, a lot of people have clearance issues with the number 7 coil pack. Wiper motor can be an issue as well.
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah.... for California.. you will need all of the electrical wiring harness from the Fuel tank sender/sensor, the BCM and everything you can thing of to make it smog legal. Once you have it up and running, Then you will have to have it re-cerfified to 02 Camaro standards.. It can be done.. just a PIA to do so.

The Pedal that comes with those ads/motors are usually Drive By Wire setup, the F-Body didn't come with that setup. Trucks, Vettes, GTO, etc came with the DBW T/B's. or they are just throwing in the F-Body pedal assembly.

Calif changed the law.. they eliminated the rolling 30 year law.. only 75 and older are now exempt and that is it! That Sucks.. I was waiting for a few of my cars to go exempt.
Old 05-24-2007 | 09:55 AM
Launching!

Good to see you got it glenn,now the fun begins.
Old 05-24-2007 | 10:01 PM
Teching In

Made it home today with the LS1. I was able to get the computer, the entire under hood harness, fuse boxes, air box, cruise control/cables, radiator/fans, throttle cable and drive shaft. My wife caught me with it before I could unload and hide it but I told here it was the engine out of the Vette (which that engine is still sitting in the frame).
Now the fun starts. I look forward to working on this project and getting support from you guys.
Not sure if I have an LS6 block yet. Found a # on the block near the drivers side head 12559(3?)78. The VIN on the donor Camaro is 2G1FP22G822148869. Anybody know how to crack the code?
Two follow ups:
67rsss-You mentioned a trans. modual-I could not find anything that looks like it was wired to control the transmission. Could you give me more info???
BCzee-Fuel tank sensor/sender-I was not abel to get the this. Was it located in the fuel tank? More info on this please....TIA..Glenn P...Glenn P
Old 05-24-2007 | 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah.. it is in the fuel tank sender. if your going to pass the Calif Smog.. The PCM/BCM will need to have all of the sensors working. I beleive that there is pressure sensor that is needed for the EVAL system. But I am not an expert to making it pass.. but i can rip out the SMOG Stuff pertty good !

Can get something to work out of another Camaro or something that will work.

So, where is Fallbrook... I am in the SF Bay area..
Old 05-24-2007 | 11:48 PM
Teching In

Still not clear on what they are trying to sense in the fuel tank. Hopefully I can adapt someting to the vette tank. I think I'll take 67rsss's advise and call SPEARTECH tomorrow. Hopefully they can help me out. If my Vette were 1 year older, it would be smog exempt...Oh well.
Fallbrook in in San Diego (North County). I lived in Vallejo as a kid so I know your area pretty good.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture001.jpg
Old 05-26-2007 | 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

The fuel tank pressure sensor is for the evaporative emissions (EVAP) system. The PCM uses it to know when it needs to suck excess fumes out of the fuel tank, instead of always doing it under certain conditions like old fashioned EVAP systems did.
Old 05-26-2007 | 02:44 PM
Teching In

I think my Vette vented to a charcoal cannister. I'll be buying a service manual for the 2002 Camaro but in the mean time, do you know a little more about this EVAP?

1) Is the sensor in the top of the tank above the fuel or is it in the fuel line somewhere?

2) Is there an electric valve in the vent line that is opened and closed when the PCM detects excessive pressure?

3) Where does the evap line tie back into the LS1 for the suck action?

Out of all the smog stuff I need to worry about, this one is probably my biggest problem. Mostly due to my old fuel tank. If I need to mount a sensor in the top of the tank, I may make a whole new tank out of aluminum. At that time, I could put my fuel supply line in the bottom.
TIA..GP

Quick Reply: 1st Post-Bought LS1 Today