Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! autometer temp reads way off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help! autometer temp reads way off!!!!

ok so im getting sick of this autometer gauge. it always reads way off. i can start my car early in the morning and its cold as hell out side. and it reads at 180 and then climbs to 250 and just stays there. i checked my wiring at the back of the gauge and its just as the instructions say. i have replaced the temp sensor and it still does this.

anyone have any idea?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
ok so im getting sick of this autometer gauge. it always reads way off. i can start my car early in the morning and its cold as hell out side. and it reads at 180 and then climbs to 250 and just stays there. i checked my wiring at the back of the gauge and its just as the instructions say. i have replaced the temp sensor and it still does this.

anyone have any idea?

Is the sender well grounded? Usually, a gauge will spike to a full reading w/ no ground, but, might read mid-range from a poor ground connection. For example: if one's sender were mounted in a rubber hose & not grounded, the gauge would likely spike. If the sender is threaded into the engine block w/ goop or heavy teflon, the sender may not be well grounded.

On the other hand, I personally will never buy another autometer gauge because of the lack of assistance & attitude received from autometer while I was diagnosisng a faulty reading autometer oil pressure gauge.

Good-luck
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no thread sealer on the adapter. its straight up sender to cylinder head. 1 wire sender that goes back to the gauge. i also checked for good ground. from the ground terminal on the gauge it reads the same if i have it straight to a ground. power is good.

what if i were to do this....

ok my sender is a one wire from gauge to sender. so if i put another wire on the sender and put that wire straight to a ground will that help out?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If the sender is not grounded properly, connecting a second wire from the sender to ground will help. Connect the ground wire as far from the sender wire as possible; realizing that it may only be 1/8" away (If there's a ceramic insulator under the sender wire, keep the insulator between the ground & sender wire). If this doesn't help, then we may be looking @ ANOTHER faulty autometer gauge.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you mount your gauge? If you're using a plastic A-Pillar pod, that is not sufficient ground

According to the instructions that I'm looking at, they show a separate ground wire coming off the back of the gauge to a good engine ground near the engine.

Does your light inside the gauge work?

Last edited by philntx; 05-24-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost all of autometers gauges with the exception of the voltage and vacuum gauges have a power, ground, and sensor input terminal. Then the back lighting is separate.

My autometer temp gauge is in the passenger side head, and it reads dead on with my scan gauge that is displaying info from the PCM ( coolant temp sensor).

You might just have a bad gauge... Its possible.

Justin

Quick Reply: help! autometer temp reads way off!!!!