Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of my LS1 swaped 240SX (aka 346SX) 0-60-0 Runs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video of my LS1 swaped 240SX (aka 346SX) 0-60-0 Runs

Here's a video I put together quickly tonight of some runs I made at the Year One Experience this last weekend. I hope the link works:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/bcf0c...3401849c04.htm

Here's the full write up about what went on: (the car is on open C5 manifolds for right now, looking into finishing the exhaust now)

Ted J's 346SX at the Year One Experience '07 0-60-0 Challange.

-First run - That was the first time I went WOT with the car. Only hit 50 MPH cause the speedo was off and I was also spinning in 2nd gear.
-Second run - Got up to 72 MPH. Still spinning in 1st and 2nd, a little in 3rd as well. Runnning skinny cheap tires right now. Braking also wasn't good, suspension and braking all stock for now. Looking into upgrades for both now!

There wasn't an oil leak, it was a coolant leak. Didn't run the seal tablets from GM with dex-cool and the water pump was leaking. Put the cooling system seal tabs in and once it got up to temp. the seal tabs sealed the leak. (dex cool is known to be bad on water pumps, was in a hurry getting the car ready to go to this event and was working long hours into the night and forget to use the seal tabs.)

Last edited by Ted J; 05-21-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Hey awesome! What diff are you running out back? One thing that's a problem is the gear ratios. I think a good option is to look for a 3.6 to run rather than the 4.08. There's a few options I've read about such as using the q45 (97-01 diff and j30 axles) which has 3.6 gearing. Keep the vids posting!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmdb
Hey awesome! What diff are you running out back? One thing that's a problem is the gear ratios. I think a good option is to look for a 3.6 to run rather than the 4.08. There's a few options I've read about such as using the q45 (97-01 diff and j30 axles) which has 3.6 gearing. Keep the vids posting!
Hey man, running the stock 4.08 read end. Probably going to stay that way for I've got two spare center sections in case I break one and I also can have one welded and one limited slip read end and one spare if I'd like. I also have two sets of spare stock axles and two upgraded axles so I'll be sticking with the stock 4.08 gears for a bit.

Thanks for the response!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Nice! I like the 346SX on the rear. Just installed my MS4, so I have atleast a month before I'll be able to do that.

Was that at RA?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

congrats on getting her going. thing is quiet for open headers. do you do a burnout for runs like that?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTOpowered240sx
Nice! I like the 346SX on the rear. Just installed my MS4, so I have atleast a month before I'll be able to do that.

Was that at RA?
The stickers were done up to help make the car not so plain. My brother told them to stetch the font out some so it matched the original on the car better but we had them do it at the last minute so it was better than nothing. It only costed like 3 or 4 bucks so we'll have them make up new ones later.

MS4, dang man, that should be fun. Looking into cams for later but for now once I get headers onto the car that will do it for power upgrades for I want to get a cage in the car and also get the suspension tuned up as well.

Yup that was at Road Atlanta. Was at the Year One Experience this last weekend.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fouz65
congrats on getting her going. thing is quiet for open headers. do you do a burnout for runs like that?
Yeah it was pretty quiet for open manifolds but seeing as how the car was totally stripped out inside the car it was pretty loud under WOT. I haven't gotten the headers made up for the car yet. I'm going to fab up some 2 chamber flowmasters that I got free from a friend (thanks Jon! ) for now to use but once I get the headers onto the car I have a x pipe kit and some dynomax bullets to go on and that should make the car sound pretty good, hopefully that is. I might also fab in the cats later for use with the manifolds so I can get the car emissions legal so I can pass the sniff test.

Last edited by Ted J; 05-21-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fouz65
do you do a burnout for runs like that?
Didn't do a burnout, actually,when I was testing doing some burnouts with it I was having issues getting the front tires to hold the car in place. The stock brakes are pretty weak or at least they seem to be. I don't know if the pads are glazed over or not but I'm looking into putting some bigger brakes up front for sure so I can at least have close to street car braking feel of my LT1 f-body in the car.

The only burnout I did was through 1st and 2nd gear getting up to 60! :-) Those were 205's out back and they were the ones I got with the wheels so one actually was down to the wear bars and the other had some thread left on it. That's why the car pulled some when I was getting onto the throttle. The front tires though were 215 Falken 615's, first time ever on those tires but I've been very impressed by them so far.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

Congrads on the swap. That car looks like its a blast to drive. I wish i would have done that to my old 96 240sx i traded in. Get some sticky tires and enjoy!!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Teching In

cool video. hey ted do you mind posting up more pics of your headers after you finished them?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by memphiss13
cool video. hey ted do you mind posting up more pics of your headers after you finished them?
Will do... haven't started on them yet and honestly they won't be the prettiest headers, they are going to be more so built for use and not as much looks! :-) I can't wait to get headers on the car though, the manifolds really take away a lot of the rasp and scream that the LS1 has with headers.

I've got a few things to work on before even starting the headers so I don't know when I'll be able to fab them up.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet, get some wider decent drag radials which im guessing should be cheap in those sizes and that thing will prolly be sicker than it already is. Awesome stuff good work !! makes me more excited about my rx7, someday!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

those falken azenis are awesome tires for the street, get some out back too and you will be pleased
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kansaschity
those falken azenis are awesome tires for the street, get some out back too and you will be pleased
It's funny you mention them, have the Falken 615's on the front for when autocrossing I wanted to get more grip up front and less in the rear to try to reduce understeer when the whole suspension is in stock form and no ways of tuning or tweaking it. They are an amazing tire for the street that I've gathered so far.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fenix999
sweet, get some wider decent drag radials which im guessing should be cheap in those sizes and that thing will prolly be sicker than it already is. Awesome stuff good work !! makes me more excited about my rx7, someday!
I have a set of 15 x 8 weld drag lites for the car so I can put like drag radials or ET streets on them in the future. (maybe even full slicks) I'm even thinking about putting a transbrake auto into it for then I can load the drivetrain before snapping it off the line. Got a lot of other things to get working first since the car is being built for autocrossing and drifting first and foremost though.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ted J
The stickers were done up to help make the car not so plain. My brother told them to stetch the font out some so it matched the original on the car better but we had them do it at the last minute so it was better than nothing. It only costed like 3 or 4 bucks so we'll have them make up new ones later.

MS4, dang man, that should be fun. Looking into cams for later but for now once I get headers onto the car that will do it for power upgrades for I want to get a cage in the car and also get the suspension tuned up as well.

Yup that was at Road Atlanta. Was at the Year One Experience this last weekend.
I think I'll end up with a cage also, but I like the idea of the interior looking 100% stock. The guys at cool cat racing in Macon are real good with factory looking stickers. I'm going to have them do up some for me, but cant decide on which. I like the 346SX, but also thinking of 570SS, 570SX, or even GTOSX. maybe even throe a lower case "e" between the S & X. Opinions anyone?

I wanted to make it up to the Year one exp., but couldn't get free. I bet it was a blast. We'll have to meet up some time if I ever finish mine. It'd be fun to take both of them out one night and terrorize some of the so called bad boys in atlanta.

Quick Reply: Video of my LS1 swaped 240SX (aka 346SX) 0-60-0 Runs