Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Ls1 motor mounts for 67 camaro that offers optimal engine position

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with S&P motor plates,autokraft oil pan and stainless works headers!everything fit really good!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kstafford
All these posts are confusing me. I have a 67 camaro that will recive a 5.3 from a pickup it is a stock small block car.
Bump from the dead dead.
Sorry but i have the same setup. I would like to use factory truck manifolds for now.

My question is which frame mounts would work better. BBC or SBC?
I dont have either and would like to know before i buy.

5.3 4l80e, no A/C, brand new floor so ide rather not cut the tunnel.

Last edited by windsma; 01-30-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look up "Dirty Dingo". They're in Arizona. They have plates, mounts of all sorts. I just received my adjustable adapter plates which allow 1 1/2" forward and 2 1/2" backwards movement from the stock location. Kinda nice to be able to adjust the position to your preference right there on the spot. I was dreading this part of the swap but, the fit was excellent and the motor slipped right in.This is most likely going to be the easiest part of the entire swap.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the future...I don't understand where the Hooker plates comments (too close to the firewall) come from. They put my LS1 exactly where the previous SBC was. The engine will be slightly lower, and there is some interference with the alternator/crossmember. See my post early on in the thread.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back again from the dead. So where is a stock engine in a camaro suppose to be? I bought my car with no drivetrain. I have some plates that put it all the way back and very close to the firewall, maybe a finger may fit. I made my own plates so I may have to just use those and drill where I want the engine mounts to set on the plates.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Back (again) from the dead.

Anyone else add? I am doing a swap in a 67 Camaro. Looks like the adjustable mounts are a good bet. But my concern is the lateral movement of the engine while driving. I mean there is a lot of mass there and only three bolts on each side in the slots keeping it from moving laterally. Thoughts on this? Or has someone answered the best location answer. So many options fore and aft.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Back (again) from the dead.

Anyone else add? I am doing a swap in a 67 Camaro. Looks like the adjustable mounts are a good bet. But my concern is the lateral movement of the engine while driving. I mean there is a lot of mass there and only three bolts on each side in the slots keeping it from moving laterally. Thoughts on this? Or has someone answered the best location answer. So many options fore and aft.
The question I would ask you is where do YOU want the engine to be from a fore/aft perspective? From my experience, either too far forward or too far back presents issues that lead to compromises having to be made to the functional geometry of the car. The sliders do provide plenty of fore-aft adjustment, but that comes at the cost of a higher installed height of the front of the motor due to the double stacked plate thickness. You're also dealing with the other common problem people have in trying to figure out what mounts and frame stands to use with what plates...these and more issues were discovered during the development of the new Hooker 1st-gen LS swap components and is what led to the unique design geometry of the new Hooker engine bracket kit, which removes the old school mounts and frame stands from the equation entirely and retrofits 1973-later GM clamshells into your 1st-gen. This was done to be able to provide better engine inclination angles (you can get the front of the engine lower than with frame stands and swap plates)and because clamshell mounts are better at isolating engine vibrations. As far as fore-aft positioning goes, the passenger side cylinder head on a SB Chevy sits 2" away from the firewall and the new Hooker mounts put the passenger side LS Cylinder head roughly 1-3/4" from the firewall, which means you can use the stock SB heater core or A/C evaporator case if you wish and can also get a stock automatic trans dipstick tube installed without having to beat it to death with a hammer (or have beat on the floor to provide transmission clearance). The Hooker mounts were also designed as part of a complete system of engine mounts, oil pan (the new Holley 302-2 pan), transmission crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems and is the only system of components on the market designed to such a comprehensive degree. You have plenty of choices, you just need to define your objectives before you start purchasing parts.

Last edited by Toddoky; 01-06-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: incomplete answer
Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Very nice write-up. And all good points and information. Where does this put the bell housing engine mounting surface on the LSX in relation to the original small block? The kit is nice, but I do not want to be limited to their components. However, the mounts sound like a good solution.

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The question I would ask you is where do YOU want the engine to be from a fore/aft perspective? From my experience, either too far forward or too far back presents issues that lead to compromises having to be made to the functional geometry of the car. The sliders do provide plenty of fore-aft adjustment, but that comes at the cost of a higher installed height of the front of the motor due to the double stacked plate thickness. You're also dealing with the other common problem people have in trying to figure out what mounts and frame stands to use with what plates...these and more issues were discovered during the development of the new Hooker 1st-gen LS swap components and is what led to the unique design geometry of the new Hooker engine bracket kit, which removes the old school mounts and frame stands from the equation entirely and retrofits 1973-later GM clamshells into your 1st-gen. This was done to be able to provide better engine inclination angles (you can get the front of the engine lower than with frame stands and swap plates)and because clamshell mounts are better at isolating engine vibrations. As far as fore-aft positioning goes, the passenger side cylinder head on a SB Chevy sits 2" away from the firewall and the new Hooker mounts put the passenger side LS Cylinder head roughly 1-3/4" from the firewall, which means you can use the stock SB heater core or A/C evaporator case if you wish and can also get a stock automatic trans dipstick tube installed without having to beat it to death with a hammer (or have beat on the floor to provide transmission clearance). The Hooker mounts were also designed as part of a complete system of engine mounts, oil pan (the new Holley 302-2 pan), transmission crossmembers, headers and exhaust systems and is the only system of components on the market designed to such a comprehensive degree. You have plenty of choices, you just need to define your objectives before you start purchasing parts.

Quick Reply: Best Ls1 motor mounts for 67 camaro that offers optimal engine position