Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm interesting
Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Lets just call it a EVO 8+ and force them to put one in from the factory.(hihihi)
Old 08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Thats pretty damn sweet, but I do wonder how that chassis will react to that kind of power in RWD with such a short wheel base. Driver mod needed for sure

Stock Evo 4G63 bottom ends will handle a bit north of 500 to the wheels, not 360 for whoever said that. The stock turbo will run out of breath right about there though.

For an all out drag project this might be a viable way to go for sure. Even if it isnt, its pretty sweet anyway. Cant wait for vids.

And I second the Evo V8 name. Just sounds right....
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM
8 Second Club

rear end should be here today, car should be ready in a week.
there will be a full rollcage (8 pt) welded in to help keep the car looking like an evo.
( well that and to help keep the driver safe )
Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
8 Second Club

quick update, the guys have the 5 lug mustang rear installed , they fabbed up the torque arm, panhard bar, and lower arms ( going with an Fbody type setup) and plumbed the mustang brakes . if you look at the car as is , you can never tell this thing has a solid rear under it! everything fits and looks stock! he also managed to use the stock evo wheels ( same bolt pattern as the 5 lug mustang)

i just took it for a spin and boy is it fun!
it tracks straight and rides exactly like it did stock ( it should since the stock coilover shocks are used and are mounted to the stock ford shock location ). this thing needs a tune bad! even though , we managed to spin it all the way through third!

i'll have pics hopefully be tommorow and a vid very shortly.

next up , engine tunning , then it gets a roll cage built, then its suspension tuning time !
whenever the owner feels comfortable with the car's handeling ( that and when the stickier tires and wider wheels show up) , he'll hook up the blower for some serious fun

i can taste the wheelie now
Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM
8 Second Club

after further "testing" yesterday we found a problem; we have chunks of tread missing from the rear tires only ,,,,, wonder why??
Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your problem might be under the hood. Look in there.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Killer! Can't wait for the AWD drivetrain to come together .
Old 08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
8 Second Club

you'll have to wait for that. first goal is to race a highly modefied evo from a dig and beat him ( especially from a launching standpoint ), then we have to snap a few pics with the car pulling the front wheels ( we might even put some slicks on the front for added effect ), then the AWD conversion commences
Old 08-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

for the AWD - i'm not sure if the v8 trailblazer/envoy/rainier are like the L6 ones, but the L6 has the diff mounted in the oil pan, so check for v8 model to see if it has a similar setup. if it does, then your whole diff mount would be solved, and it would appear you just get some cv's to adapt the gm inner to the evo's hubs, and get the AWD back relatively easily with off the shelf SUV parts(trans, t-case, front driveshaft)
Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 PM

why...why would you do that? ams makes 1000+hp from a 2.0L. not to mention the weight of 4 extra cylinders and the lack of awd. the awd system from any gm vehicle wont be as good as mitsus...i love ls1's but that was retarded...
Old 08-18-2007, 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

the owner found an AWD from an aussi "GTO" , it too has the diff mounted in the oil pan and comes with a very compact transfercase.

ipdking711, how much did ams spend to get that 1000 hp, how depedable is it, he drivable is it?? as for the weight , the car sat about an inch higher after the engine and tranny were installed, so that gives you an idea of how much weight it "gained" .
as for AWD , read the other thread.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:43 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iyl61YmFHn8

he seems to think it drives on the street just fine.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man thats just crazy, I hope they can get the AWD to work, That would just be crazy.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
guess i should post up the writeup:

Started with a regular run of the mill evo 7 , decided to make it a “real” car by putting a real engine in it.
First the stock evo engine and transaxle were removed from the engine compartment for the mock up process. After placing the mockup ls1 in the engine compartment ( with the proper north-south orientation) it came apparent that the stock evo cross member had to be modified to fit. The [problem was interference with the oil pan and the placement of the steering rack. To address this issue it was decided to relocate the mustang steering rack from the rear to the front of the cross member (converting it from “rear steer” to “ front steer”) , to make this swap possible a whole new cross member was fabricated . The stock front lower control arms attachment points were left in place and the rest was chopped off and replaced with the custom made unit that attaches to those points and frame. To make the relocated steering rack work the left and right steering knuckles were swapped around so the tie rod attachment points were in front of the front axle centerline. Furthermore, the steering shaft had to be modified; it was lengthened because the rack was moved forward and had to be moved outward due to interference with the engine block. The nice thing of the cross member is that it provided ample room for headers to pass through.
The cross member utilized stock Lumina motor mounts and stands to locate the engine, which was placed as far back as possible. The plan was to run a t-56 six speed but it was decided to simplify the process by installing a th-400 first and getting the car running, and then convert it to a six speed. Due to the placement of the engine, the firewall had to be cut and the transmission tunnel “formed” to clear the bell housing. The tranny was mounted using a custom cross member ( read : a welded bar with a hole in the middle ) the cool thing is that the hurst auto shifter pokes up at the same location as the original.

Stock evo radiator handles the cooling, but the fan was swapped to one that cleared the water pump and pulleys. A custom drive shaft connects the tranny to the stock rear diff. Fuel system consists of a Toyota Echo tank placed in the trunk, with dual bosch 420 lph pumps that feed an Aeromotive regulator in the trunk and feeds the engine through –8 braided line. The interior is as stock as an evo can be , except for the hurst shifter that will be shortened to make it look like a stocker and the addition of an 8 pt. Roll cage, the rear seat bottom has been temporarily removed, and incase you are wondering , yes it has a fully functional AC.

The engine is an iron blocked LS1 6.0 with forged diamond pistons and forged rods and crank. Ported heads and victor jr. intake manifold with a 100 mm throttle body. Compression is at 8.5 :1 with a big cam to help with the D1-SC procharger . The intercooler is a custom front mount air-to-air cooler. The only drawback to this setup is that the hood had to be cut a bit to clear the throttle body. The headers were custom made in alotaibi exhaust shop and are full-length headers with one bullet muffler on each side (no H or x pipe yet). Incase you were wondering why the gas tank was relocated to the trunk its because the stock tanks were removed to make room for real mufflers in the near future.

as for the blower piping , its all there , including the intercooler. its just off cause the drive pully was damaged.
the engine angle is just fine, its the slope of the hood that is big.

as for the oil pickup , its just a camaro pick up and pan.
Sam, what was the cost on the swap if you dont mind me asking, you can pm/email me if you would like. Here is my 06 ix se, wouldnt mind selling the drive train to do an ls2 swap.

Here is the other ls1 swap project

Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ipdking711
why...why would you do that? ams makes 1000+hp from a 2.0L. not to mention the weight of 4 extra cylinders and the lack of awd. the awd system from any gm vehicle wont be as good as mitsus...i love ls1's but that was retarded...
So lets sink 50-60k into a 2.0 to make 1khp?

Makes no sense to me, do something different and stand out in the crowd and not be a follower, not a hater!

1K hp is 1K hp regardless, if the ls1 evo hooks good as a 2wd the awd evo will get destroyed due to para static hp loss on the top end. So if it's to hard for you to understand awd takes more hp than a 2wd.

Last edited by fastls1inaz; 08-20-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Great job on the build!!!
when you got money you can put any dayum thing you want into any dayum vehicle of your choosing to keep those other people asking dumb questions
Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 AM
8 Second Club

hey steve, where have you been?? and i finally get to see your stang

i'll get you an estimate of how much it cost pretty soon . the owner will have a thread on the wole build from begining to end including the solid axle swap with tons of pics.

the guy just wants to have everything running perfect before he posts everything up.
the car is getting a rollcage done now and new wider wheels and tires, then we do some suspension tuning !
Old 08-21-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont care what the guys on this board say, i can appreciate any form of crafty work such as a drivetrain swap. i think its cool
Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 AM
8 Second Club

thanks for the encouraging words guys!

Quick Reply: LS1 swapped into an EVO!