Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 00 v6 to 00 v8 swap progress...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My 00 v6 to 00 v8 swap progress...

5/04/03 - Finally got some time to work on the car. I converted the car back to automatic. Took out all the pedals and put in my old brake pedal from the automatic. Waiting on new gas pedal because the ls1 is cable driven not computer driven. Took out clutch slave cylinder and tubing. Installed automatic shifter and shift cable and re-wired body harness for automatic trans. Took out gauge cluster...car awaits ls1 now...eta for arrival is wednesday.

4/27/03 - Drained all fluids, took off cat back exahust. 1 hour

4/28/03 - Took out driveshaft, torque arm, radiator, battery, pcm, brake lines, steering linkage, and disconnected wires from inside engine bay. 2 hours

4/29/03 - Dropped fuel tank, body harness, power steering...now ready to drop engine.. 2 hours

4/30/03 - Engine is out of car! A-arms are off K-member. Now to tear down the v6 and prep the camaro for the massive v8. 3.5 hours, including cleanup time

This has all been done in a garage with the use of the tools and equipment you see here...

http://www.pbase.com/image/16124084

2 jacks, 4 jack stands, a 3/8 socket set i bought for 30 dollars a year ago, 3 pieces of wood, 2 sets of wrenches (one metric one standard), 2 buckets to collect fluids in, a hammer, and a can of coke. (and a furniture dolly which is not picutured, just 4 short 2x4's with 4 wheels)

This was all done alone...by myself...in a garage... On wednesday, i had my friend JD come over and he was my second set of eyes while i lowered the engine onto the furniture dollys. Thanks for being there jd, i couldnt of done it with out ya buddy. well i COULD have, but it took less time and was more fun, lol.

Here are all the photos i have so far...

http://www.pbase.com/mavness

btw, yes i know about the wood on the jack not being safe, yes im aware, but i had 4 jackstands under the car at all times, and they were on the frame, so if the wood were to fall, it would of been fine, and the wood didnt, so it was all good.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 00 v6 to 00 v8 swap progress...

Keep posting pics, they are really helping me. Let me know when everything is running. Doing the same to my 98 soon but with a t56
Old 05-10-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 914 Posts

Hey Zack...Have fun...hopefully my hoist will come in handy.

Andrew
Old 05-11-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Zack...Have fun...hopefully my hoist will come in handy.

Andrew
andrew you pimp! thanks a TON! i know it will make the rest of the swap MUCH easier. i really apprecaite it.

And yeah i will continue to take many pics and document it all as best as i can.

Quick Reply: My 00 v6 to 00 v8 swap progress...