Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Mustang LS1 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007 | 10:07 PM
Teching In

The main bearings are a easy install...but these cam bearings suck!
Old 07-27-2007 | 10:22 PM
Teching In

Hey fellas...I need a different radiator...what specifications should I look for when buying one for a turbocharged ls1?
Old 08-07-2007 | 12:19 AM
Teching In

I got half the money from that turbo back today. Pretty excited but it wasnt all of it. Im giving him a few days before I press charges.
Old 08-07-2007 | 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear it. I'm surprised noone chimed in on your need for a radiator. I'm no expert, but I can tell you that Speed Inc. uses Griffin Aluminum Radiators on their LS1 TT cars. The should have one available for Fbodies at www.speedinc.com. I imagine that with a little tweaking it'd work for your application, but you'd probably be better off with a radiator designed for TT fox bodies. There's got to be plenty of those available.
Old 08-09-2007 | 10:35 AM
Teching In

has no one else done this swap before? It's a great idea
Old 08-09-2007 | 03:24 PM
Teching In

Theres a couple of guys doing this swap...most of them are doing strip cars though...mines for the street. Thanks for the help on the radiator jmdale1984. I dont think I will have to tweek much except for the top brackets for it to fit my car. I found a thread saying it would fit into the bottom supports.
Old 08-09-2007 | 04:10 PM
Teching In

Default More....

Got some other stuff put on as far as body goes...
Attached Thumbnails 03 Mustang LS1 Conversion-p7180034.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:11 PM
Teching In

I got my master cylinder in the mail. trying to find a good spot to mount it since Im keeping the hydaulic setup. Ill put up some pics once I figure out what to do about it.
Old 08-16-2007 | 11:48 PM
Launching!

Was the original car already a manual? If so, then I would just drill a hole directly infront, or slightly offset, from the clutch pedal and mount the master cylinder on the firewall with a plate that has been welded to the firewall. Mount two studs onto that and run the connect the pushrod to a pin that has been welded to the existing clutch pedal. You may to play with the linkage and the mounting point before locking it all down so that you get the somewhere the stock stroke of the F-Body T56 (if that's what you are using). I think the stock stroke is around 1" or 1.1" and the stock bore of the master cylinder is 3/4". You should have enough room between the firewall and the shock tower to mount a compact master cylinder such as the Wilwood one people have been using.

By the way, this is how I plan to do mine. I have an early fox body, but I think there is still enough room between the firewall and shock tower to fit it in. This saves you from trying to rig something up under the dash using the Turbo Coupe pedals (which has been done by others on here).
Old 08-21-2007 | 07:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot of the advice! I havent had alot of time to mess with it but i found a place to put it and it doesnt seem like there will be much to do to get it there.
Old 08-28-2007 | 02:10 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure how the body is designed on Fox body cars, but on my SN-95 there is NO room on the firewall in front of the clutch pedal.

My first idea of mounting the master cylinder was to mount it like they are in the F-bodys...on the firewall in front of the clutch pedal. Unfortunately where the floor comes up and where the inner fender rails all tie together at the firewall is directly in front of the clutch pedal.

One possible thing to do would maybe mount a compact master cylinder inside the car on the floor/firewall in front of the clutch, but I'm not sure you could get a master cylinder to get enough stroke with it being mounted inside.

The route I was looking at taking was to mount the master cylinder high up on the firewall where the stock Mustang clutch cable would come through. There's plenty of room, and it puts the F-body master cylinder pushrod right where the stock Mustang clutch quadrant is. Here's a couple pics...

The first pic is the location of the clutch cable hole on the firewall. The second pic is where the master cylinder pushrod (the rusty thing on the right) is in location to the Mustang clutch quadrant (the blue billet thing on the left). Now if you could get the quadrant to somehow push instead of pull and have the right angle, it should push in the master cylinder.

I'm fairly sure this is kind of how the T-Bird Turbo coupe pedals work. Just not with the master cylinder in the same location.

singe, where were you looking at mounting your master cylinder?
Old 08-28-2007 | 02:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by singe
Got some other stuff put on as far as body goes...
Im totally for this swap but...get rid of the lambos!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007 | 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mystic96
I'm not sure how the body is designed on Fox body cars, but on my SN-95 there is NO room on the firewall in front of the clutch pedal.

My first idea of mounting the master cylinder was to mount it like they are in the F-bodys...on the firewall in front of the clutch pedal. Unfortunately where the floor comes up and where the inner fender rails all tie together at the firewall is directly in front of the clutch pedal.

One possible thing to do would maybe mount a compact master cylinder inside the car on the floor/firewall in front of the clutch, but I'm not sure you could get a master cylinder to get enough stroke with it being mounted inside.

The route I was looking at taking was to mount the master cylinder high up on the firewall where the stock Mustang clutch cable would come through. There's plenty of room, and it puts the F-body master cylinder pushrod right where the stock Mustang clutch quadrant is. Here's a couple pics...
Yeah, the inner fender sheetmetal looks to be in the way on the fox body cars as well, so it will probably need to be cutout and remade to get the master cylinder on the firewall directly in front of the clutch pedal. I thought that it would be easier, though, then trying to cram everything under the dash using the Turbo Coupe pedal assembly. I'm not at that point yet on mine, so I'm still open for any other possible locations that could work.

I think trying to make the master clyinder work in the stock clutch quadrant location is going to be tough, especially since it's set up to pull instead of push. If your going to mount it over there you might as well just go with the Turbo Coupe setup, in my opinion. But hey, if you can make it work, go for it and then tell us all how to do it.
Old 08-28-2007 | 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
Yeah, the inner fender sheetmetal looks to be in the way on the fox body cars as well, so it will probably need to be cutout and remade to get the master cylinder on the firewall directly in front of the clutch pedal. I thought that it would be easier, though, then trying to cram everything under the dash using the Turbo Coupe pedal assembly. I'm not at that point yet on mine, so I'm still open for any other possible locations that could work.

I think trying to make the master clyinder work in the stock clutch quadrant location is going to be tough, especially since it's set up to pull instead of push. If your going to mount it over there you might as well just go with the Turbo Coupe setup, in my opinion. But hey, if you can make it work, go for it and then tell us all how to do it.
My thinking was to replace the quadrant with the upper half of the F-body clutch pedal. That way the master cylinder attaches just like it would in the F-body. Just haven't looked at it long enough to see if it will measure up or have the angles work out.
Old 08-28-2007 | 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

man, not sure how i missed this one. i like the ideas so far, minus the lambo doors, just my preference though. just wondering where about in IL are you?

good luck on the build!
Old 08-29-2007 | 05:09 PM
Teching In

Im from Hamilton. Its the far west tip of the state. I used to use it as a show car so Im not sure where the old hinges actually are. The lambo doors are annoying. But it turns some heads and I dont want to buy stock hinges. Im working out a spot for the master cylinder...hope to put up pics soon!
Old 08-29-2007 | 05:15 PM
Teching In

Heres what it used to look like...but its obvious I have different plans for it now. I used to live in Cali when I was in the Marines...now that im home I have alot more money to do all the performance stuff.
Attached Thumbnails 03 Mustang LS1 Conversion-1-001123.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007 | 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by singe
Heres what it used to look like...but its obvious I have different plans for it now. I used to live in Cali when I was in the Marines...now that im home I have alot more money to do all the performance stuff.
I was in the Marines out in Cali, too.

I don't hate the lambo doors, just wouldn't spend the time to do them. I've kinda thought they'd be nice to have in cramped parking spaces though. Just don't think they're a great visual mod. Don't let these guys roast your nuts about the doors, though. LS1tech members prey on anything that can be considered 'tuner'. Just do what YOU want to do.

More money/time to invest in the stang... what better excuse could there be to drop an LSx in it? Can't wait to see your finished product.
Old 08-29-2007 | 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
LS1tech members prey on anything that can be considered 'tuner'.
That's the truth!!
Old 08-30-2007 | 09:32 PM
Teching In

I cant find my camera to put pics up but today I got my rear end ready to put on...I havent actually bolted it up yet because I want to just go ahead and put new gears in it while its out. Im going to use the GM T-56. Should I go with 3.73, 4.10's or something else?

Quick Reply: 03 Mustang LS1 Conversion