Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....

As an avid 4th gen owner/racer, I've had the chance to experiment with several road-race autocross brake packages over the years. My latest may prove to be the ultimate bang for the buck BIG brake set-up for an investmest of under $2k for the brakes.

Is it the first ever to have a C6 Z06 brake upgrade? ..maybe. All I care about is significant reliable brakes to run against exotics on open track applications..I may have found it.

Back in 99' I retro-fitted a (then new) set of C5 front brakes to my 94 B4C Z28 Police package car that I purchased from Callaway as a take-off part. A local formula ford shop fabricated mounting brackets to my altered ( trimmed caliper ears) front knuckles while I was upgrading to poly bushings all the way around. At the time I used SSBC cryo treated/slotted C5 rotors ( the stock ones warped after 2 sessions at Road America), hawk blue pads, and PFC pads for my stock rear calipers. This combined with 2.5" ducts running from NACA ducts mounted behind my front radiator air dam provided incredible braking at the annual f-body.org event in St. Louis, I could outbrake just about everything.

School, life, marriage, home, buisness have all taken their toll until recently when I upgraded my brake set-up to the new C6 Z06 brake system in prep for the large cube LS7 ( >427 cu in) that will be completed later this fall. Initial results are very good, but no track testing has been completed as yet.

The system includes...

1) stock Z06 calipers all the way around with the racing brake.com upgraded pad pin bolts

2) RB.com 2 piece 14.4" rotors
3) RB.com ET700 pads
4) Kore3.com 1 piece sloted DB rotors
5) Kore3.com rear 10 bolt mounting brackets
6) motoul RB600 fluid
7) C5 Z06 master cylinder

The wheel choice is SSR GTH-2 C5 Z06 spec wheels ( the car previouly had C5 Z06 GM speedline wheels and BFG KD's) These wheels/tires were only used for street use for 2K miles and are FOR SALE ( with tire pressure sensors). the current tire choice is new BFG KD 275/40/18 frot on 9.5" SSR wheels ( 17.X lbs each) and 295/40/18 rears on 10.5" SR GTH-2 rear wheels ( 19.X) lbs each.

The only problem I came across is the need for a 1/4" spacer all the way around and a slight trimming of the rear jounce bumper to clear the narrower rear Z06 spec rotors.

This upgrade will require the removal of the axles and front hub assemblies to install ARP 2.5" wheel studs ( trimmed back after final fitment for lug nut clearance)

I can supply part numbers and contact for anyone is interested. I've lurked long enough here on LS1tech...... I felt the need to give back a bit...

plase see attched pics. -=Mike
Attached Thumbnails yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-frontrotor.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-raer-rotor.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-mockupfront.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-frontwheel.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-rear-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-27-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

here are a couple shots of the brakes before install...

BTW, I also upgraded to the RB.com pad bolts. The stockers were brand new and they BARELY came out w/o stripping. The 6mm allen head screws from GM are JUNK! I lubed then new ones with anti-seaze and torqued them to factory specs... Not a big deal for most, Just remove the two caliper bolts and Pad changes are easy, I just wanted the option to do it while the caliper was mounted to the car in the future when I go with full on race pads like the ET900 and full BFG R1 tires....

I installed an SLP line lock in the process since the new system deletes the factory ER brakes ( a $600 upgrade that will go on in the future with the new 12 bolt or Dana 60 the new motor will require).

The C5 master cylinder works well and I didn't install either of the brake bias units pictured. I've since learne dthat the factory C5 Z06 master cylinder uses a different PN# than the C6 Z06 master cylinder so abit more research may prove and easy swap w/o the need for a brake bias control...More to come.

I don't care for the raised center caps ( they destroy the look of the wheels) so I'll be modifying some Mercedes 2 and 15/16" caps to give the wheel a flush mount look in the future, for now they are sitting on my work bench.

All in all these should work to pull 3300+ lb's down in a hurry.....with teh aluminum block/heads and the tubular K member and control arms that weight might get trimmed abit.

-=Mike
Attached Thumbnails yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-calipers.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-rotors.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-parts1.jpg   yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....-parts2.jpg  

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-27-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 AM
FormerVendor

Very nice, I've always wanted the C6 Zo6 setup on my Camaro. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Let me add the Tobin from Kore3.com was VERY VERY helpfull in the process. He endured many grilling phone calls leading up to the build. The fact that these rear brakes can be added to ANY GM 10 bolt/12 bolt application is incredible..give him a call, you will not be dissapointed.

BTW, pics were taken before the cars suspension had a chance to settle after getting it off the stands. With Eibach pro's, bilsteins, 35mm front bar , 25mm rear and polys all the way around this car has a nice stance. Only 35 series on the fronts would have helped it any more, but I needed the extra sidewall of teh 40 series for daily driving here in colorado.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-27-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

awesome, for the price of those brakes I have seen interest in other forums (rx7, 240sx, s2000, etc) for swapping the parts over.. damn thats a beefy big brake setup!

Quick Reply: yes, C6 Z06 brakes will fit on a 4th gen F-body....