Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/700r4 into 02 Jeep TJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy....cow.... I cant believe I didnt notice this thread before. Damn man... thats a TON of cash going into that thing. That sucker is going to be on bad mother when its finished. Cant wait to see that thing finished up and running.

J.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V8TJ
TXjeepTJ- What exhaust did you go with? LT headers or stock? Dual?

well, it didnt seem like any long tube headers would fit. right now i just have the stock manifolds w/ 3'' pipe to a borla muffer and no cat. this winter i might get custom headers made and run header muffler pipes on each side. my Y pipe right now gets in the way of the front drive shaft

i want my exhaust like this, but it wont hang down as much like this pic

Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha. That's where I'm at right now...what will fit. Once we get the LS mated to the trans and t-case, put her in and mock up all the mounts, we'll see how much room we have for them.

Somehow, someway, it'll have LT headers and true duals, probably with a X pipe. I need to do the exahust and intake the right way on this thing to utilize the new parts I put in the motor, so we'll MAKE some work!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Default Update

More parts:

BRING THE BLING!!!
Spidertrax has jumped on board and is bringing some serious badass stuff!
Front and reaer 300M shafts for the Solid Axles.
Spidertrax already offers shafts for their housing, Spider 9's, and they want to be able to offer up 60 shafts for those that dont have a Spidertrax housing, so they are making the shafts to fit pretty much any 60 application.
This shows just how cool these guys are, and how well they work with other companies to bring new kickass products into wheelers hands.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2595/.f

Here are some pics of the fronts.

Racepak
Got an email from Roger at Racepak today. Looks like one of these will be taking the front and center spot on my dash.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

are you getting most of this stuff for free from sponsor types? talk about lucky
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
are you getting most of this stuff for free from sponsor types? talk about lucky

Yeah, the majority of the build is sponsored. There will be an 8 page feature on it in CRAWL Mag and the rig will make it's debut at SEMA in Vegas this year.

I'm one of the owners & senior photohound for CRAWL Magazine, so we get some perks for not taking home big paychecks as of yet.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

More info on the motor mounts please. Those are hands down pure bling

I would love to get some for my ls1 swap into my 03 TJ
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I've held these things and they area a thing of beauty, and pure strength! Absolutely the MOST AMAZING & KICKASS mount I've seen for our applications! (can be used for any app really.)

The mounts are made by RAM Off Road. The LS1 uses the engine side plate, shown in the 2nd picture.

Engine Mounts:
Material: 6061 T6 billet aluminum
Features: Very durable design, available in long and short versions, Polyurethane bushings, all bolts, nuts & washers + weld-on frame tabs for TJ, YJ, CJ, & FJ bodies
What motors they can be used on: Fits all Chevy 3-bolt & generation, I & II 4-bolt patterns
Colors: Available in machine finish, anodized blue and red
Price: Prices range from $275 to $350 a pair with hardware
etc. Engine mounts have been tested in off-road racing and street applications for over 3 years

If you call up to get some, please tell him you heard of them through CRAWL Magazine and the Blitzkrieg build up.

Ray Mandel
RAM Off-Road
(719) 650-3044
amerimpco@msn.com
Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info....and for putting out a kickass mag too. I will be calling Ray today and getting a order in.

Those new spidertrax shafts are pimp too, with a pretty reasonable price tag considering they are 300m. I would love to see a side-by side of these, Long's cv's, and a full set of Jacks shafts.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I would love to see that comparison too!
All of those are kick *** shafts for sure, only thing that stopped me form looking into the Longs is the fact that they're not meant for high speed stuff.

I thought about doing Jacks, "Drive home shafts", but really want to get these out there for the Spidertrax guys. I am going to run Jack's CTM u-joints though!

We are having to work on some fitment issues with the front Spidertrax shafts and the Solid inner C. Looks like the guys from Solid are going to open up that C jsut a bit to fit the new Spiderrax shaft. It's just a tiny bit too small so there are some clearance issue. We'll get it all worked out though.

When you call Ray, tell him Brandon frm CRAWL says HEY!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Default More updates

We begin hanging the rear suspension first.
The giant King shocks take up a lot of room. So we're going to give them plenty of room to stretch !! The rear axle truss will be built into the lower shock mounts and all the upper cage gussets will match our upper shock mounts

Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

More...

Rear trussing. Not complete yet...

Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Truss completed.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.... This looks great man. Awesome looking truss. That rear shock set up is nuts too...

A buddy of mine just picked up a set of those SOLID diff covers from the jeep show. Man those suckers are heavy. Used to be "rock crushers"...and are now called SOLID I think. They ran them over with a big *** excavator and they didnt break.

Can you say..bullet proof axles? haha

Nice stuff!

Justin
Old 08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Ya the Solid stuff is PURE beef!

I said the rear truss was finished, but I noticed that holes arent sleeved after I posted those pics. I should have some more up soon with it sleeved and fully welded.

Engine shop called today and the LS1 is back together and they're just installing the new lines since I put LS6 intake on it. They had to wait for a few parts from Comp Cams, so it took them longer to get it all back together, but Comp Cams has been GREAT to work with and got us the parts right away!

I love GREAT customer service!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

v8tj, great fab work.

I'm building a 4 seat fusion chassis with an LS2 and extras so it's great to watch your build.... (will it be in Sept/Oct? patiently waiting.)

Did you think about turning the intake around and use on of those super pimp hoods (from AEV I think) that has a functional scoop for cold air intake? Plus, it's just cool to turn the intake manifold around. Not many can do that. I haven't seen that many good options for the air cleaners on a stock setup anyway.

Looks like your setting this rig up for some serious sand dune jumps. Keep us informed. No Pirate build??????

Scott
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

You're building a BTF chassis, VERY nice. Dan and da boys at BTF do wicked, wicked work!

The feature on mine will be in the Jan/Feb issue. We want to make sure that it gets tested and all the bugs worked out before we do a feature on it. We were shooting for the Nov/Dec issue (the SEMA issue) but it just wont be done in time to do the tesing and shoot before the show, but it'll be at the show in Vegas.

I have it up on the board where all the owners of CRAWL hang out and actually met, timbercrawler.com . I was going to do it on Pirate, but didnt want to hear allthe BS with posting up what you want to build, and how others would do it differently... hahaha That and I want to get it out there, but dont want it to be too exposed before SEMA and the shoot.

I looked into turning the intake around, and am stillkicking around the idea, but I think with the way the cover has been built it might interfere with the TB. I'm thinking about running the intake tube back into and thru the firewall behind the dash.

As for hoods, Im looking into a lexan hood from Trent Fab out of Reno. Probably have 2 painted up, one for show and one for show.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

nsaltwater- whats your Pirate SN?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Teching In

ScottDeLano is my Pirate SN. Like you, I have chosen not to start a thread over there, yet. I can't wait to hear about the lack of trianglation or how bad my welds are.

I picked up my chassis in june and have not done much with it since. Just ordering parts and building componets (axles, steering, brakes) so I have everything here before mock-up. Plus, it's too damn hot to weld in my shop during the summer.

Those Spidertrax axles are the bomb. Wow! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm also interested in the those engine mounts. I would like to know what the width is between the chassis end of the mounts when bolted to the motor. I'm curious to see how your chassis mounts will clearance the headers and what adjustment in vertical placement of the engine will be permitted.

Can't wait to read about the cam selection and ECM programing combo. I hope yall go into depth on cam grinds specific to these LS motors and how the ECM tunes differ for crawlers vs. street cars.

BTF has been good to me. I also own the "Alumitub" build they did a couple of years ago. They did the suspension and tube work and I did the rest of the build. Tore the rig down to 4-link the front and do a motor swap but couldn't bring my self to hit it with the torch. Made the call to dan and went to see him a couple of weeks later. Did you make it the the BTF open house / aper build gig a couple of months ago? I know I met a couple of guys from Crawl.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Ah, yes. I've seen that name and some of your posts. I'm powdr7 over on PBB.

Ya the Spidertrax stuff is killer. I need to update that as well though...
Theey wont be able to make them fit the Solid axle C's & knuckles... again I'm

I talked to Tom there at length yesterday, and he said it will take some time, and a lot of reworking of the shaft itself and the C & knuckle set up to try and get it to fit, and it's just something he can't get done right now. Sucks, but that's how t is. I talked with Ron S @ ALLOY USA yesterday and am going to be running some ALLOY fronts and Precision gear R&P's. I am still doing the rear 300M shafts from Spidertrax though!

Spidertrax is also going to be making me some bad *** links out of some big thick cromo, then heat treating them. They'll be WAY stronger, and nearly as light as the aluminum links people are running now. And they will withstand much more pounding from rocks, and wont bend easily at all, like some of the AL links do.

That Alumitub is nice! Post up a pic of it now! I didnt make the Apeters/BTF Open House. My business partner, Tim, was there covering it for the rag.

Quick Reply: LS1/700r4 into 02 Jeep TJ