Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSI in 69 Camaro --- A/C mounting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This works!

I found a solution. It's not a cheap solution but it does work. S&P brackets and pulleys ($320) and a side exit compressor ($200).

Please excuse how nasty the subframe looks. After I fill in/box the cut areas it'll be off to the sandblaster and will be made pretty trust me. It's ugly right now.

Just one shot here of how the rear exit definitely won't work for this..........

Lance

p.s. I had planned on scanning the receipt for the S&P stuff but I forgot it at home this morning.......(I had issues with the no part number thing they do with they're stuff. Seems like they refer to everything with "top right of page so and so" ). I'll bring it tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Lance. My side exit compressor is on it's way from VA. If it won't fit with the VA bracket then it looks like this would be also a good solution for the Art Morrison subframe. Sure is a heck of a lot cheaper than a whole new accessory drive. I also like the idea of the compressor being down low instead of up high on the passenger side.

Don
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice .Mark from s&p ,always willing to spend the time.ill be ordering my headers from him this week. JOHN
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Default It fits...

The side exit Vintage Air compressor arrived today and it fits on the Art Morrison subframe with the VA bracket. I had to cut off the two ears adjacent to the frame in addition to the one by the block. It's a tight fit for the connection closest to the frame but there is enough room to get the fitting on. I installed the header to make sure it cleared and there is plenty of room. I'll try to post a few pictures this weekend.

Don
Old 08-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dhutton
The side exit Vintage Air compressor arrived today and it fits on the Art Morrison subframe with the VA bracket. I had to cut off the two ears adjacent to the frame in addition to the one by the block. It's a tight fit for the connection closest to the frame but there is enough room to get the fitting on. I installed the header to make sure it cleared and there is plenty of room. I'll try to post a few pictures this weekend.

Don
Great stuff Don! I'd love to see a picture. Also, in my case I'm wondering how much space you have from the back of the compressor to the Art Morrison frame. I'm running Corvette LS2 accessories and need about 3/4".
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kaptainkw
Great stuff Don! I'd love to see a picture. Also, in my case I'm wondering how much space you have from the back of the compressor to the Art Morrison frame. I'm running Corvette LS2 accessories and need about 3/4".
Thanks!
Here's a few pictures. Let me know if you need some from a different angle.

Don
Attached Thumbnails LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-ls1-ame-009.jpg   LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-copy-ls1-ame-010.jpg   LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-copy-ls1-ame-011.jpg   LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-copy-ls1-ame-012.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Default VA bracket

Did the VA (Steel-eze) bracket and the Sanden 508 fit so that the pulleys lined up? Did you use the stock a/c belt? I've got the BRP setup and I notched the subframe (of my 67 Camaro), although not quite enough ...
I'll let everyone know if the rear exit compressor works with BRP and the SW longtube headers.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

The Vintage Air bracket requires a 43.5 inch belt. They recommend a Goodyear GatorBack part # 4040435. It was a little hard to find, I had to order it from Autozone online. It lines up fine with the pulleys.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 09-10-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Default short belt

So you can't use the short (original) belt that goes around the crank pulley?
Guess that means no idler pulleys either.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroman2
So you can't use the short (original) belt that goes around the crank pulley?
Guess that means no idler pulleys either.
Nope, you need the longer belt. The Sanden pulley is a larger diameter plus it is farther away from the engine than the GM compressor. But it still uses the existing LS1 A/C idler pulleys. I'll post a picture with the belt tonight.

Don
Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Here's a picture with the belt and the VA bracket in the AME subframe.

Don
Attached Thumbnails LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-va-bracket-belt.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Don:

This is great stuff! We appreciate you being a ginny pig!

I'd like to ask one more thing of you. As you know I have the LS2 Corvette engine going into the Art Morrison sub-frame. Can you measure the distance from the last bolt on the Sanden compressor to the bolt on the motor mount or the tubing supporting the motor mount? Make sense? The LS2 Corvette accessory plane is about 3/4" closer to the block and I want to know if there's enough space. So is there enough room to move the compressor back 3/4"-1" without hitting something?

Many thx!

Jeff

Last edited by kaptainkw; 09-12-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Lots of good info. Possibly sticky worthy?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Teching In

This is good info guys, thank you very much. I'll have to store this in my "Info" folder. When designing this subframe, I only accomodated and tested the stock GM compressor, but I'm glad to hear others fit.

----------------------------
Matt Jones
Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Enterprises Inc.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kaptainkw
Don:

This is great stuff! We appreciate you being a ginny pig!

I'd like to ask one more thing of you. As you know I have the LS2 Corvette engine going into the Art Morrison sub-frame. Can you measure the distance from the last bolt on the Sanden compressor to the bolt on the motor mount or the tubing supporting the motor mount? Make sense? The LS2 Corvette accessory plane is about 3/4" closer to the block and I want to know if there's enough space. So is there enough room to move the compressor back 3/4"-1" without hitting something?

Many thx!

Jeff
Jeff, it's a little too close to call. There is roughly 7/8" from the rear of the compressor to the tubing supporting the mount but I think there is only 3/8" to 1/2" to the engine mount itself. This is hard to measure because the interference is only with the outside edge of the compressor body which is rounded off. It might fit if you trim the corner of the mount a little but it will be close.

The belt does not ride in the rear two grooves on the compressor pulley so you might be able to modify the VA bracket to move the compressor forward and gain those two grooves which looks like a gain of 3/8".

Sorry I can't tell you for sure but it's too close for me to say without possibly giving you the wrong answer.

Don
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was easy to make something similar using 2 pieces of angle iron, the original tensioner pulley and piece of flat stock. I'll try and make up drawing, as my previous pics weren't very sharp( engine installed). So far hasn't thrown AC only belt(shorter than original).

Quick Reply: LSI in 69 Camaro --- A/C mounting problems