Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine dies immediately but fires off great.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default engine dies immediately but fires off great.

OK guys. I did a quick search but simply don't have the time to do a thorough search, so please be patient with me.

2000 5.3 swap running in SD. The engine fires off instantly but dies instantly as well. It doesn't stumbled or stutter. It's being turned off some how. I have some codes but only one catches my eye and that is 1626 which refers to the anitheft fuel cutoff circuit.My fuel pressure stay right at 60 the whole time. Also, my tuner checked and he has turned off VATS. Could he have missed something? Admittedly the wiring is not complete because of time constraints. The forward O2s are not wired in nor is low coolant, low oil, or oil pressure. Supposedly I do not need those. The computer will be programmed to run in open loop only for my immediate needs. This of course will be changed.

I'm at a loss right now trying to figure this out. I have only a couple days to get this thing drivable so it can move on its own and I have just spent 13 hours with it so I'm exhausted. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: the engine and ECM are 2000 not 2001. I doubt that matters but just to be sure I have everything correct I changed it

EDIT: Also this engine has a cable operated throttle body

Last edited by Snow Dog; 08-13-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something with the anti-theft. Prob needs a re-learn maybe.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Off the top of my head it sound like an IAC problem with it starting up and immediately dying but since you have a code for the sec. syst. ....

Can you get it to run playing with the gas pedal? Holding it 25-50% open and trying to start it?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like either A) VATS is still enabled, or B) one or more of the power lines is only hot in START and not START+RUN. It'd really help to throw a scan tool on it and see what the computer thinks is going on...
Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

possibly a crank pos. sensor have to put a scan tool on it and see if its reading any rpm,if not i would start there and if its reading rpm i would check fuel system
Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys.

Sometimes I could get it to rev once or twice very quickly but it would still die in the same manner.

What specific things should I look for on the scanner in regards to VATS or whatever else you are thinking of Rodder.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

DTCs and sensor readings
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it possible to still throw a 1626 with VATS disabled?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

That's the only code I am getting that matters. I have one for EVAP and trans pressure as well. The trans is a TKO so the ECM has no control on it. I'm looking into the sensors now.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

OK I am using a Snap On tech one, so consequently they may use different abreviations. Here is what I have found

All sensors that are hooked up are working. Low coolant, oil pressure, and oil level are the only ones not hooked up. I am going to go through and manually check that each sensor has voltage to it.

Here is what I found on the scanner that I am unsure of.
FT diag inhibit yes
VTD toggles between on and off with the ignition simply turned on
PCM VTD Fail no
IGN Fuel VTD no
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it comes down to it... and you're not 100% positive that VATS is completely removed, you can build a VATS disable box to test with pretty cheaply. Plans are in one of the stickies of this section.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Truck computer won't work with the bypass box from what I can find out
Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

OK more info or testing I have done. The fuel pump is s being turned off after the car dies. So it's not fuel. Also, I held on to the start switch longer than you're supposed to. I did this to see if I had a wiring problem where a sensor or wire was going dead in on but being powered in start. Engine still dies. I'm leaning towards a VATS problem at this point. The only other issue is that the engine is running in SD. I am not getting any MAF codes but there might be something going on there still. My tuner is using FlashScan and the ECM is still programmed as a truck.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was there any tuning done at the same time? I'm no tuner, but I remember hearing about a start up enrichment table. Does the car act like it's being turned off at the key, or does it slowly die?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

It's being turned off. The engine cuts out immediately, no dieing
Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

OK got it running. Not 100% sure what was wrong though. My tuner changed it over to an Fbody program instead of the truck program and the engine fired right up. Thanks guys
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest it wasn't seeing the right fuel in the tune or the tune got corupted. When I recently fired my 63 P/U it was too lean and would fire and die just like you are describing. I added some fuel down bottom of the tune and It ran great for a few days while I was dialing in the VE. Then something happened making some changes to the VE and the tune got corupted. I couldn't get it to stay running nor move. I put an older tune back in it, A OK again.

Quick Reply: engine dies immediately but fires off great.