Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/1st Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Headers/1st Gen Camaro

I'll be buying 1 3/4" ceramic coated LT's soon and am looking for experiences with fit and price. I'll be pumping out approx. 400 rear wheel HP and was wondering if 1 5/8" might benefit me more on the low end?? Also, there's a thread in EXTERNAL ENGINE that refers to Pacesetter LT's. Feedback, please...thanks!
Old 05-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headers/1st Gen Camaro

The only headers I have heard of that fit a 1st gen without modifing them are from S&P. I bought a set from them and they fit great. John
Old 05-25-2003, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

late model long tube headers will not fit on the 1st gen f-bodies. The 1st gens have a huge steering box and rear mounted steering assembly, and it gets in the way.

I have Stainless Works longtube headers, they are specifically built for LS1s to fit in 1st gen Camaros. These also require a newer front mounted steering setup to work. I'm getting a kit from BRP that converts a 98-2002 rack and pinion over for my 69 Camaro.

Tony
Old 05-25-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

John and Tony, Thanks. I was aware of those options, but you made me realize that I can.. 1)get by for now by purchasing the S&P's, or 2)Buy the Stainless Works and incorporate the rack steering(and, I believe, eliminate the need for a altered oil pan!). Decisions....
Tony, Nice Camaro!!! Didn't you just purchase this?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Phil at BRP also informed me that swapping over to an LS1 rack/pinion setup is worth 80 lbs off the front of the vehicle as well. All that heavy 1st gen steering box, those huge steering arms and such will be gone. And, you are correct, you shouldn't have to modify the oil pan.

Tony
Old 05-25-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I was teetering on this decision until you added the 80 lb weight loss. With modern steering and original oil pan, it's a no-brainer. Thanks, again.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Tony, I located the article on the Year One 69 Camaro. In it, they state that the oil pan must be modified with the rack set-up. This opinion differs from a similar project which is said to eliminate the need for a altered pan. I haven't been able to relocate that latter article.
Even if I end up modifying the pan (with rack), the benefits outweigh the work. Glenn

Old 05-29-2003, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

hmmm, give Phil at BRP a call, he built that car and is very helpful with information about it.

Tony
Old 05-29-2003, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Tony, Pardon my mistake, but that Year One article I referred to was actually a 68 Camaro (different project!) using S&P motor mounts. The quote from that project states, "S&P motor mount adaptors allow you to use the frame stands and stock motor mount and will locate the LS1 in the proper location. If using rack and pinion steering, or stock suspension, oil pan will need to be modified". On the other hand, the NOV8TR, a 1969 RS/SS associated with Year One, uses Totally Stainless engine fasteners. In THEIR description, no where does it mention the use of a altered oil pan. The engine fasteners might place the engine back far enough not to interfere with steering. I couldn't seem to locate BRP on the internet, and I don't know what it stands for. I'll be reporting back after I verify how Yearone mounts their engine. I'm wondering if the front ends of all 67-69's have the same dimensions. Sorry about the confusion. I just want to get it right.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

BRP actually sponsers this section. Top of page is a link to their website. www.brphotrods.com.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody know the cost of the motor mounts and the rack kit? I emailed BRP and another distributor of their products and never received a response.

Also, does anybody know if the rack kit is complete? If not complete, what is necessary to complete it and the estimated cost.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-30-2003, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You won't get a response from BRP for another 2 weeks or so, he left to go on the Hot Rod Power Tour next week. The YearOne staff is gone for the tour also.

The rack kit comes with the custom steering arms (use your stock spindles), modified end connection arms for the steering rack (LS1 steering arms must be shortened, BRP can do this for you if you send them in). Also includes rack mounts, and steering shaft, and some tube needed to modify the subframe a bit.

You will have to get your hands on an LS1 rack/pump setup. I've seen them sell on ebay for $75-125. I bought mine used for $75 with a pump.

Tony
Old 05-30-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Guys, I sent e-mails to BRP, YearOne, and Stainless fasteners to question which motor mount adaptors are used and if the oil pan needs modification. Stainless sent right back and referred me to YearOne. I'll be expecting an answer after Year and BRP return.
John, It's been one of those weeks where I'm not noticing things which are staring me in the face (such as the BRP sponsor logo at eye level!). Thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I paid like 85 each +15 for shipping. I also bought the 69 small block Camaro motor mounts from Year One for $19.95. I had S&P modify my F-body oil pan for $200. My pan needed to be notched by about 1 inch in height and back to the oil drain plug with the BRP mounts and rear steering. S&P said with their mounts they typically have to remove more of the pan. 2 Inches in height and back to the oil drain plug.

Quick Reply: Headers/1st Gen Camaro