Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for some insight on a toyota swap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the T56 in a 4X4. One, there isn't an adapter. Two, the gear ratios are terrible for a truck.

If you want a 5 speed, your easy choices are the NV3500 & NV4500. The NV3500 was offered behind the 4.8l, the NV4500 behind the 6.0l truck engines.

With the power you are looking for, I would pick up a 4.8l/NV3500 combo, and use a NP241C transfer case. This was you can use all factory components, and save a bunch of money on adapters. Plus there is little demand for the 4.8, so they are pretty cheap. The 4.8 is 275hp stock, and loves to rev. It has less torque than any other LSx engine, which will help your axles survive, plus snow and dune running like free reving engines. The NV3500 is plenty of a transmission for a 4Runner. I have one in my Cherokee, which weights a bit more, and the ratios work real well for a truck.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jeepinpete
Forget the T56 in a 4X4. One, there isn't an adapter. Two, the gear ratios are terrible for a truck.

If you want a 5 speed, your easy choices are the NV3500 & NV4500. The NV3500 was offered behind the 4.8l, the NV4500 behind the 6.0l truck engines.

With the power you are looking for, I would pick up a 4.8l/NV3500 combo, and use a NP241C transfer case. This was you can use all factory components, and save a bunch of money on adapters. Plus there is little demand for the 4.8, so they are pretty cheap. The 4.8 is 275hp stock, and loves to rev. It has less torque than any other LSx engine, which will help your axles survive, plus snow and dune running like free reving engines. The NV3500 is plenty of a transmission for a 4Runner. I have one in my Cherokee, which weights a bit more, and the ratios work real well for a truck.
a few questions:
the 4.8l what did it come out of? is it an aliminum block also(ie how much does it weigh)?
np241c what did that come in?
so the only adapters i would need are tranny/transfer case/engine mounts correct? singe the engine, trans and tc are all gm products?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Teching In

bummmppp
Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

The 4.8's are in the 1500 trucks. If you have to have aluminum your only options are the 5.3 in the ssr's and some cars or one of the car engines (ls1, ls2 etc). The regular 5.3's are iron and much easier to find.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

I have driven a 4.8 in a cargo van and it did really well. Really Well. You will not be disappointed. It will be a bit heavier as it is iron but suspension adjustments for the weight is much cheaper.

To answer your other question you will need motor mount adapters and maybe adapters for tranny and TCase but likely you can move and adjust the crossmember you have.

Asside of that you simply need to get your drivelines adjusted in length and have the right Ujoints or whatever put on them.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blazerboy72
The 4.8's are in the 1500 trucks. If you have to have aluminum your only options are the 5.3 in the ssr's and some cars or one of the car engines (ls1, ls2 etc). The regular 5.3's are iron and much easier to find.

the reason i wanted to go with the aluminum block was that, if this is going to be a pre runner, and im going to be jumping it,i need to free up as much weight on the front as possible so as not to nose dive. you wouldnt know off the top of your head where i could find the info on the weight of different chevy engines?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kirtondog23
I have driven a 4.8 in a cargo van and it did really well. Really Well. You will not be disappointed. It will be a bit heavier as it is iron but suspension adjustments for the weight is much cheaper.

To answer your other question you will need motor mount adapters and maybe adapters for tranny and TCase but likely you can move and adjust the crossmember you have.

Asside of that you simply need to get your drivelines adjusted in length and have the right Ujoints or whatever put on them.
out of curiosity what was the mpg in the cargo van you drove? i mean in a truck thats going to weigh in at a little under 4k lbs(hopefully) would should i expect to get mileage wise?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I believe there's about a 70-75lb difference between the aluminum and the iron blocks.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sirdoc99
I believe there's about a 70-75lb difference between the aluminum and the iron blocks.

wow really?? thats all?!?!? thats not that bad i could loose that in swapping to fiberglass front fenders i assume
Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Had to bump this thread...since I'm doing a swap similiar to it this summer. I've got a 2000 Pre-Runner in which I am completely gutting...I mean every damn thing I can take off...even the damn interior and paint. The only thing I'm leaving is the body and frame...I'm going to SAS it, drop a LS1 or a LS6, NV4500, custom-fabbed Ford 9" rear end, custom drive-shafts, all that good bullshit that is going to burn a big *** hole in my bank account.

I'll cover some of the questions you asked here....

Rear End- To be completely honest, Toyota's rear end's are rated to be just about as tough as a Dana 60, they're pretty reliable, it's just they're not up to the kind of power a V8 is going to give. You could probably pull it off, but I would be afraid to.

T-Case- I would leave mine if I wasn't looking to get 400+ RWHP out of my motor....just like every other Toyota product, they're tough as nails.

Tranny- You would be better off just to put a new tranny in...once you start messing with harnesses, wiring, blah blah, it just turns into a pocket burner and one big headache. As stated before, a NV4500 is a good choice. Besides the fact that I've never seen a T-56 in a 4x4, M6's in trucks just don't look right in my opinion.

Every thing else you're going to have to get custom made...motor mounts, tranny mounts, drive-shafts...etc. For me, I have no money in my truck since it was given to me....so even if I spent a total of $20K, that's 20K I just spent for a TOTALLY brand-new custom truck...the EXACT way I want it to be. Not bad, IMO...not to mention I can get the majority of my items for cheap.

Be prepared to doing lots of and before you start though, haha.

EDIT: Seen the thing about gas mileage....I wouldn't expect to get no more than 20 on the highway. LS1's may be good on gas for a V8, but once you put them in a heavier vehicle (i.e. a truck), you're going to have to lift it to clear the front axle. Lift+Bigger Motor=
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Launching!

How is this project coming??? Still in the works. I ran my LT1 in 4x4 in the snow and ice and was railing it for a couple days and the stock Toy 5spd is holding up...but I believe its days are numbered as is the stock IFS 7.5" ring gear. It seems to break the tires loose before it breaks anything. If you plan on doing this at least plan on a better front axle upgrade soon after. I have heard the trannys do good under respoonsible use and I believe it will as long as you shift it easy, don't force it into gear, aren't running lockers, and stick with a smaller tire like 33"s or smaller. I am planning on upgrading the front axle and making a T56 to transfer case adapter to run a six speed. I am going to try and grenade both first though...I already have the T56.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Launching!

I don't know of an LS to Toy trans adapter, but you can use the lS to SBC adapter plates and buy standard conversion motor mounts, a Turbo 400 Advance Adapters may work on a 4l80E, a NV4500 would be a good manual choice (adapters available to a standard SBC and to a Toyota transfer, but not to an LS). Headers are also available for the LT1, but have to modify the ports, I don't know of LS headers. LT1 is still involved, but easier.

Quick Reply: looking for some insight on a toyota swap...