Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great progress.. !

Have you planned out the fuel system yet ? I don't recall reading anything in the earlier posts.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Great progress.. !

Have you planned out the fuel system yet ? I don't recall reading anything in the earlier posts.
I am running a TankInc, Plastic tank setup with there top high flo fuel pump, I believe its a Walbro. I am also going to use the Vette Fuel filter/regulator, I have all the fittings for everything. The original hole for the filler in the rear fender has already been modified with a Hagen flush mount filler. I hope to get some plumbing done before the frame heads off to the body shop to put the body on. I don't think the car will be ready this year due to financial shortages but I will have a majority of work done on it this year. I am keeping the orginal layout of the dash setup and also having all the guages rebuilt and customized, they should be ready by the time the car is to leave the body shop. The body shop is moving at an exceptional pace, I dont think I have ever seen a body shop move this fast on something custom. All the sheet metal is primed and ready for paint, they are just finishing up misc on the body and seam sealing everything and will then move onto painting the hole interior cage along with the underside and firewall before the frame rolls under it. Also by then he will have all the inner fender panels, undersides of fenders, underside of trunk lid & underside of hood, etc all painted. Hopefully he will also have everything etched to be able to start assembling all the sheet metal on the car as well. He says he will have the body ready for when I come back from vacation the first week of March for the frame.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks and sounds like a very nice build. I'm interested in the TankInc plastic fuel tank. Could you supply info/contact data on this item? I Googled it without any luck.

Thanks, D.J.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good progress!! This is going to be a great car. I love it when a project comes together and the real satisfaction will be in the driving.......I still drive mine almost every day, alot of times I drive it to work as well. Keep up the good work.

Tanks Inc http://www.tanksinc.com/
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Oscar.

Tanks, I mean thanks,

D.J.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for the comments,

Hopefully in a month I will have some more updated pics of the body on and with paint. I still have quite a bit to go like glass, interior, conversion of front windows over to electric. I Still need a couple items for the engine, I have already installed a Voodoo 222/228 cam, Patriot Stage2 heads, new timing chain & Gears and pushrods, Yank SS3200 TQ & hopefully Holley will get there new intake on the market when I am ready for it. I will have plenty of time this summer to finallize how I will layout the stereo setup & interior.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Default Some more updates

The body is finally back on, I have been bouncing from one thing to another, wiring , bolting on sheetmetal, making up a tru-duel crossover in which case I ended up having to redo my trans cross member because it sat to low and was to wide at the trans mount area to get the X-Pipe to work. The cross over is done and now I am sending it out to get it ceramic coated mostly due to keep it from rusting up, also for a little better sealing and exhaust flow. Still havent installed the fuel tank but that should come by the end of the week as well as installing my steering column and finishing up my wiring. Glass extrerior chrome will come after the body is fully back together and gone back to the body shop to finish up the paint hopefully in about 2 weeks, I am also hoping that I will have at least fired it up by then.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-38.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-39.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-40.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-41.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-42.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-43.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-44.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Some more picks, Changed out some dash pics to some better pics
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-45.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-46.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-47.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-48.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-49.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-50.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-51.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-52.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dash1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dash2.jpg  

Last edited by LS1 Coupe; 05-26-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Looks good, I am still at a stand still on my project.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by popeye
Looks good, I am still at a stand still on my project.
Wasn't sure what happened to you! Long nap! I am in the process of wiring, putting the nose back together and lots of little tedious things before the car goes back to the body shop to have final paint done.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Launching!

lookin great!!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

I'm diggin it!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 Coupe
Wasn't sure what happened to you! Long nap! I am in the process of wiring, putting the nose back together and lots of little tedious things before the car goes back to the body shop to have final paint done.
Had to get a new computer, the old one died and lost everything. I am starting to work on my coupe again. Talked with the body guy and he wants to get it sodablasted. Still have not decided on the color. Wife wants Candy Apple Red, I am still trying to decided between black and ?? I am amazed at what the parts are costing. I have over 10K at this point and still need another 10-12K to finish. The only labor charges will be the interior and exhaust system. I am trading the labor to get the body work done, just have to pay for the material. All of the mechanical work I am doing myself.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by popeye
Had to get a new computer, the old one died and lost everything. I am starting to work on my coupe again. Talked with the body guy and he wants to get it sodablasted. Still have not decided on the color. Wife wants Candy Apple Red, I am still trying to decided between black and ?? I am amazed at what the parts are costing. I have over 10K at this point and still need another 10-12K to finish. The only labor charges will be the interior and exhaust system. I am trading the labor to get the body work done, just have to pay for the material. All of the mechanical work I am doing myself.
I just replaced my computer this past winter, being that is what I do for a living it wasnt real expensive for me because I sold my old unit for almost what I put into the new. My project has slowed down as well, I'm kinda glad it is back from the body shop (previous pics) to be able to relaxe and just get some of the odds & ends caught up, plus he was killin the wallet. I have 3/4 of my exhaust done and just ordered up some pipe to finish up the rest, I still have interior to do in mine as well and havent totally made my mind up which way I want to go. Electrical is just about done and I am waiting on the Carshop inc, Alternator setup, just picked up trans filter kit and some ATF & antifreeze and hopefully will be firing it up by next weekend. I am scheduled back at the body shop in 3 weeks to have final prep & paint done, then I start with installing glass & chrome. Finally got the grill together, took me almost a full day to do and also fabbed/relocated my hood release to be in between one of the grill bars instead of in the car (genious at work ). I been keeping an eye on your sight and haven't seen much action. I am not sure what color is mine is called, it's just a number on a paint chip, but it is supposed to be some type of charcoal color, looks nice in the sun, was thinking of doing the Hot Hues Gun Metal but was talked out of it by the body shop guy saying it was a custom metallic and if anything was done to the paint or body the whole car would have to be repainted again.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up Wow!!!

Very nice build and progress.

I think it will look really good when its all done.

Mine is a real low budget build, but I try to do what I can with what I got
I'll just be happy to be driving it again soon hopefully....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/851231-ls-51-chevy.html
Hopefully should be able to fire it up this weekend.

Well keep up the good work, can't wait to see it when its all done
Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mudbog42
Very nice build and progress.

I think it will look really good when its all done.

Mine is a real low budget build, but I try to do what I can with what I got
I'll just be happy to be driving it again soon hopefully....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851231
Hopefully should be able to fire it up this weekend.

Well keep up the good work, can't wait to see it when its all done
I can certainly respect the low budgett builds and love seeing the rat rod builds. Been there and done that as they say, pulled vehicles right off the farm that had been sitting out in the fields for quite some time and slapped a motor in them and just drove them, love the aspect of not having to worry about chips and scratches or where I am driving it. I wanted something a little different this time around, it's not going to be a super high horse powered car but have the drivability of a DD and hopefully the comfort of one as well. This will have some modding done, but on the more conservative side (cant have a hot rod without it sounding like one ) 350-400RWHP and at 3000lbs with the OD and 3.73 gearing it will get up and go and get some mpg as well.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

great job, wait for vid
Old 04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

I hope that trans cooler works ok for you, I had to abandon one like that and go back to the front of the radiator for some additional airflow. That 4L60E of mine didn't do well until then, now it stays cool. I have pounded alot of long desert roads in my travels.

The build looks really, REALLY good!!!!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
I hope that trans cooler works ok for you, I had to abandon one like that and go back to the front of the radiator for some additional airflow. That 4L60E of mine didn't do well until then, now it stays cool. I have pounded alot of long desert roads in my travels.

The build looks really, REALLY good!!!!
If you are talking about the in line trans coolers, I also am running a cooler in front of the radiator as well, I dont think I would trust something like those line coolers to do enough by themselves, I forgot what the GVR rating on the actual trans cooler is but it should work.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

I should have known you would have a handle on that! Very cool! Heat kills a 4L60.

Quick Reply: LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe