Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would update progress, I got the car started about 2 weeks ago, couldnt leave it running long due to no Water in system. A ported TB was added and finally my Alternator bracket assembly showed up from CarshopInc.com. So with the P&P TB and all I was finally able to put in some Antifreeze and let her run a while and no leaks, minor exhaust leak from headers to X-Pipe setup as well as run it out of the garage and up & down the driveway. I am getting a P0171 code, but I might attribute that to removal of the MAF Screen/P&P TB and no air cleaner.The car is slated to go back to the body shop for final paint this coming weekend. Then I will be getting it back to start on glass, interior and exterior trim work. A little power braking with the car shows I am getting some real good rear traction, both front wheels where locked up and dragging across garage floor. I have opted to do a hidden Ram-Air through my front grill, I have a buddy who is supposed to be bending me up sheet metal for a lid to an old GTP Air Cleaner box I modded for my setup, in the pics you see the air intake on the drivers side inside the where the grill is to be. No Videos! And a pic of my 55 Plymouth Belevedere in the background, Flathead 6, Duel Carbs, Split Exhaust manifolds for duel exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dcp_0089_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dcp_0090_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dcp_0091_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dcp_0093_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dcp_0095_1.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-dcp_0096_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-fw_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-fw_2.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-ram-air_1.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-55-plymouth_1.jpg  

Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Finally back from the paint shop, now the fun begins with installing glass, insulation and reinstalling all the trim. Interior apholstery and a few other peices will probally have to wait till I sell my 55 Plymouth.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-lfside.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-lrside.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-nose2.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-nose.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rfside.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rside.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rear.jpg  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

That is way nice. What color is that? It's beautiful.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, another giant leap up the progress scale! This is a great project you are doing, I know you can hardly wait till you can drive it around. Sweet car and a excellent build.

Pat
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Rocky: The color is a Charcoal, After looking at many, many pictures I noticed that the lighter colors didn't accent the big nose of the hood, I also wanted something not many others use for colors.

Stu: your right! I cant wait to drive it, I am hoping to be able to at least get a couple of miles on it this year even though it wont be done, The interior will have to wait till next year, money on this project has become quite extensive. I should have everything done except intrerior apholstry and possibly the new Holley Intake depending on how others like it and some true reviews.

Todays job has been just putting on those small quick emblems, door handles, etc and waiting for my shipment from Steele Products for all my glass weather stripping and seals. Tomorrow I start installing the front door power windows and stuff since I already have all that stuff.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that a Heidt's front suspension under that car? Sure looks like the stuff under the front of my Nova. Should be a bitchin' car when complete! Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ten5nova
Is that a Heidt's front suspension under that car? Sure looks like the stuff under the front of my Nova. Should be a bitchin' car when complete! Good Luck.
Fatman Front end, But I am sure there isnt much difference, Except I think TCI offered a bolt in setup where as Fatman wouldn't even considerate it, says there wasnt enough meat in the frame to just do a bolt in.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Well I figured I would bring this back from the dead and to finally put a close on this. I finally pretty much have everything done. I have got the car back from the aphostery shop this past Thursday and since then I have been to 2 car shows and racked up about 450miles in 3 days while still trying to get some little odds and ends worked out. I have a few odds and ends to still square away. and the car was christened last night with it's first rain storm coming home from a show. The LS1 engine performed nicely and without any issues. I tried Saturday to have a friend that has a dyno shop to do some tuning but he was behind on schedule so we put it off till next week. The final mods to the 04 GTO LS1 engine, was a Voodoo 222/228 cam, a set of Patriot CNC'd LS6 heads, Kooks Headers, P&P Throttle body and Ram Air, the ECM was orginally tuned by Wait4me performance. No mods to trans except a Yank SS3200 stall which is couple to a 12bolt GM posi rear with 3.73 gears.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-door-panel.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-drivers-side.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-engine.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-guages.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-interior.jpg  

LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-lr-quarter.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-nose.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-passenger-side.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-rr-quarter.jpg   LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe-trunk.jpg  

Last edited by LS1 Coupe; 07-14-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Hello, was just admiring your 48 Coupe build, as I am doing the same thing, LS1 in a 48 Coupe. I was wondering what did you get the brackets for your accessories, and also your gauges?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build...looking good.

Quick Reply: LS1 in 48 Chevy Coupe