Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those headers look sweet!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headers look great! I am also in the process of installing an ls1 into my 89 coupe and headers is where I have been driving myself crazy about. I have tried so many different brands of camaro headers to see what would fit the best. I did not think that anybody made a set for the application. I would love to know how well the fit when you get them in. What rack are you using if you don't mind me asking? looking good!
On a quick note I have an AJE k-member (not bashing the company by no mean) , but
I did have issues with oil pan clearance and the rack. It took 2 k-members and a little more but they did a great job working with me to solve the problem.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What aje k-member are you runnig 4.6 swap or sbc swap???
Old 09-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

sbc swap
Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I was told that the 4.6, sbc,ls1, and I think others use the same k-member, but the motor mount plates have different patterns on them depending on the motor you are using.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

So far I am very pleased with the Kooks headers. But when it comes time to set the motor down in I will let ya'll know the final results. The k-member I'm using is the MU-3030. They say you can use this one for a sbc,bbc,LS1,460 and 5.4. He told me that the motor mounts are included with the k-member. I will also be using the stock PS rack with offset bushings.

I did get the camshaft installed today. As my luck would have it , I had to pull the intake and valley pan because 1 of the lifters in the rear would not stay up...oh well. I'm going to try to get the valve springs swapped over tomorrow.
I also shipped the wiring harness to Speartech Friday.

I was still up in the air on which clutch master cylinder I was going to run. I knew I wanted it to be adjustable, but I really was not impressed with the $300 + Mcleod unit. I decided to just run a stock MC, but make it adjustable.Kind of like the Ram piece. Anyway, Advance auto parts Has a Raybestos unit for $38. I ordered 1 today. Hopefully it will work out ok. I still need to get the hyd. line though.

Mike
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I recieved the k-member a couple days ago. I hope to have it and the motor installed this weekend.I also sent my wiring harness to Speartach last friday.I can't wait to get it back.....so close but still so far away

mike
Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

should be a bad *** little ride when its done
Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're running the flaming river manual rack and Fbody pan get your self some 3/8in thick spacers for the motor mounts
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

After lots of sweat today......

I hope to get the trans cross member modified and the clutch master cyl. mounted tomorrow . As you can see in the pics I went ahead and used spacers(washers) between the mount and motor. It looks like AJE has the clerance issue fixed. I guess I will pull the washers back out .

Mike
Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

cool..nice color choise...Emerald Green is beautiful...
Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good. I talked to them last week and they did tell me the clearance issue was fixed. When are ya gonna try the headers?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished taking the spacers out and sticking the headers on. The headers fit perfect! They went straight in from the bottom. I will have to say that the headers were the best money spent.
The AJE 3030 swap K member fit VERY good . I will also say that I had a couple of small issues with it too. Nothing major , just the bolt holes in the motor mounts and the spring perches were crudely cut out with a plasma cutter.(not cool) Also the slots on the motor mounts had to be elongated about 3/8".(also not cool) Lots of weld splatter that I think should have been cleaned up before powder coating. Like I said minor issues , but I think for the amount it costs it should have looked better.

Mike
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice swap you got going, ive been thinking about picking up a fox body and doing one of these swaps.

Hotrodding at its best. Big motor in a little car.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by djquik88
I just finished taking the spacers out and sticking the headers on. The headers fit perfect! They went straight in from the bottom. I will have to say that the headers were the best money spent.
The AJE 3030 swap K member fit VERY good . I will also say that I had a couple of small issues with it too. Nothing major , just the bolt holes in the motor mounts and the spring perches were crudely cut out with a plasma cutter.(not cool) Also the slots on the motor mounts had to be elongated about 3/8".(also not cool) Lots of weld splatter that I think should have been cleaned up before powder coating. Like I said minor issues , but I think for the amount it costs it should have looked better.

Mike

i'd have called and at least voiced my oppinion to AJE over that! glad it wasn't anything too difficult to fix but you shouldn't have to do anything for the money spent.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have never seen bolt in motor mounts with the AJE K member. is that something new? i wish i would have known of them when i ordered mine a few years ago.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I want to say that they have been making them for a few months now. From what I have been reading, the first design needed spacers between the mounts and the motor to gain clerance between the oil pan and the rack. I pulled the spacers out of mine today and ended up with about 3/8" between the stock power rack and the pan.(perfect)
I do know that Kook's headers worked with AJE when making the orig jig for the LSx/fox swap headers. Again, These headers are well worth the cost!! I know most everyone will be running an after market steering shaft, but If Kooks would move the #2 drivers side primary tube forward about an 1- 1 1/2" , you could probably run the stock rag joint.

I will be giving AJE a call tomorrow . I was totally happy with the fit, but the finish was sub-par for imo.

I will post pics of the headers installed later tonight, after wife gets home with the laptop .

Mike
Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

How long did it take to get the kooks?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

I've been working a TON of overtime the past few weeks ,so very little progress has been made on the car. I did get the fuel sending unit done though. I was getting a little worried about the AJE k-member that I ordered .It has been 4 weeks since I placed my order! I called them last Thursday and they told me that it would be shipped out this Monday .

Anyway, here are a few pics of the Kooks headers that I had coated locally.

how much was it to get them coated?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mike
glad too see they fit one someone else's car besides mine

Quick Reply: A few pics of my Fox/LS1 build