Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped GenIII will fire but not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007 | 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shifty`
this is going to sound really stupid, but ... i've heard at least 5 people in recent months tell me they couldn't fire up, and all they did was tap on the injectors and it fired. something about the injectors freezing? i never asked for an explanation, just tossing it out there.
I've run into that a bunch over the years. Everything from cars that sit for a while, to injectors that have just been cleaned. Seems that even cleaning them can make them stick (ultrasonic cleaning). I have a "buzz box" that you can activate the injectors individually and then tap on em with a hammer and a brass drift til they start clickin.
Old 09-28-2007 | 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
I will be on it again on Saturday. We have no IAT but I can jam enough resistors in the end of the connector to get the measured "iat" up to something reasonably close.
Every time I've started mine so far, the IAT sensor was unhooked. I've had no problems.
Old 09-28-2007 | 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by shifty`
Every time I've started mine so far, the IAT sensor was unhooked. I've had no problems.
I don't expect any change, just trying to cover ALL bases.
Old 09-29-2007 | 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

FWIW, for those who want to know...

The truck started and ran for the first time today.

After covering many bases and remaining unsuccessfull, I returned to the task of weeding out all the un-neededs in the harness. Many were still in place and in portions of the harness but unused. After this, and looking at the temp position of the PCM being within 6inches or so of the coils, I also moved the PCM to get it away from the ignition side until it got it's permanent home. The owner got in and turned the key and to our delight it fired right up. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-29-2007 | 09:19 PM
Banned

Ever lay o-scope leads across spark plug wires? Theres a **** load of interference goin on there.
You may also have somethin going on within the harness. May wanna give it the ol wiggle test. Run the engine and just bend and twist the harness and see if it stumbles or cuts off or anything.
The "wiggle test" is actually a Ford factory specified test!! Thats some HTS!!
Old 09-29-2007 | 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

No but I did a long study on RFI, shielding, and rejection methods in school and I know what kind of garbage is radiated, hell at one time in history the spark-gap was used for wireless communication We moved it around quite a bit after getting it started so I have good faith in the connections. Thanks for all of the ideas guys. The owner was happy to hear the new engine run for the first time today, and so was I.
Old 09-30-2007 | 12:13 PM
Banned

Congrats BTW, I'm sure you're relieved.

Quick Reply: Swapped GenIII will fire but not start