Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump noise

Does anyone elses intank pump make alot of noise?
Mine didn't seem to at first, but it makes a loud whirring sound all the time now with eng running, I can hear it inside of car even with loud exhaust. No leaks and no performance loss, just damn loud. Did buy a fuel pressure gauge and it's 56 at idle and drops to 50 when I rev it Any idea's? :bang
Old 06-16-2003, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Fuel pump noise

If it is a factory 98-02 pump for an LS1, then yes we have all probably heard it loud. They get especially loud sometimes when the temps are hot. My Formula used to do that randomly, maybe once a week, with the factory pump.

Tony
Old 06-17-2003, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

No it's a Walbro pump in a new gas tank. Awlfully loud. Anything to do to make it quieter?
Old 06-17-2003, 09:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.b-quiet.com/?ls1tech

Insulate the interior floorpan and behind the rear seat (maybe make a panel to seperate the interior from the trunk.

Tony
Old 06-18-2003, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Finally got ired of noise so I cut an access panel in my trunk to access pump. A clamp had vibrated around and was touching sending unit (metal to metal), moved it back tightened it up and all quiet again. Now that I have access to pump I can get right to it in no time.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you run a heavy duty 10 gauge wire directly to your fuel pump from yor alternator? You should not see that much of a pressure drop. Before I did this to mine I was losing ~3MPH at the track!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Yes I did John. Found problem junk in new tank, must have come from gas can I used to put in intial gas. It's clogging the sock, I cleaned the sock and pump noise went away and performance came back. Will drop tank this weekend to clean it out.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

I am also using a walbro 340 pump in my 79 elcamino. It also makes a (what I call) high pitch whining sound that bugs me to death. I don't really hear it on the open road but drives me crazy when idiling or from the outside of car. It sounds like the pump is overworking itself. I first took off the return line and ran a hose from it to a gallon jug but makes the same noise, then I got a supposely gas proof hose 1 1/4" inside diameter, spent 2 hrs. yesterday pulling the tank and sliding the pump inside the hose and remounted it using the hose as an insulator. Did not make one bit of difference. My 406 efi 67 nova makes 200hp more than my stock LS1 and the only time I hear the pump is just before starting. Anyone else having this problem??? I should mention this has a new tank and was clean when I took it apart yesterday.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump noise