Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl,

There is quite a demand for the 2nd Gen F-bodies. I bought a set of your SS stepped slip fit headers (65703) and ran into the following issues for the LS2 I have. The tubes touch the starter solenoid on the passenger side, the tubes come within 1/2 inch of the oil filter on the driver side and the collector angles are also pretty severe. Not sure what I'm going to do, by the time I get them modified it'll be equivalent to getting a pair custom made. Post up an inquiry on the nasty Z28 site for demand and see what the results are.

Mike
Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

The collector diameter is 3", the headerback uses mandrel bend 2 1/2 diameter tubes.

For the 2nd Gen F-body we aren't using our 4th Gen Camaro pieces at all, they are a tight fit because of the limited space of the chassis and the server angle you spoke of. The Headers from the 68 -72 A-body along with the engine mounting plates are a perfect fit, they are tucked up way tighter than any other header for the F-body I have ever seen (they are close to the floor but do have ample clearance). We are currently working on the headerback specfically for the F-body right now. I'm not sure if the application in the 2008 Edelbrock Catalog will list the 1970 - 1981 F-body just because of we found it fit too late for the 2008 catalog.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Karl,

Can you please pass on a part number for the headers. I already bought the engine mounts and crossmember from ATS. Are you familiar with their product? If so, do you think it will effect the header fit.

Mike

Last edited by shovelhead73; 12-18-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

The Edelbrock system looks good, especially the headers. How would the exhaust fit with a T56? Same as 4L60E? Just planning for spring.

Thanks

-John
Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

will the 2 gen headers fit the 75 to 79 nova?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

i would like to see some third gen also
Old 12-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Interesting. Nice going for the under-serviced 2nd gen F-Body community before the 1st gens. About time! LOL
Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shovelhead73
Thanks Karl,

Can you please pass on a part number for the headers. I already bought the engine mounts and crossmember from ATS. Are you familiar with their product? If so, do you think it will effect the header fit.

Mike
These headers will not work with the ATS I believe, because the ATS mounting plates move the engine forward approximatly 1", I can only say for certain that the Edelbrock plates will work. With the Edelbrock engine mounting plates it keeps the engine in its correct location to what the orginal Chevy's were, by doing this all your original tranmission crossmember, shifter linkage and driveshaft is going to work. Any kits on the market for the likes of TKO or T56 transmission kits will work for the application just as if the engine were original.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Boy, I was REAL excited about this kit when I read about it having the oil pan included, then I reread it, now Im just excited.... I'll be needing one this summer.....Thanks Edelbrock....

Rick
Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by EdelExh
These headers will not work with the ATS I believe, because the ATS mounting plates move the engine forward approximatly 1", I can only say for certain that the Edelbrock plates will work. With the Edelbrock engine mounting plates it keeps the engine in its correct location to what the orginal Chevy's were, by doing this all your original tranmission crossmember, shifter linkage and driveshaft is going to work. Any kits on the market for the likes of TKO or T56 transmission kits will work for the application just as if the engine were original.
Karl,

I read what you are saying very carefully, but I just want to confirm one more time please. What you are saying is that the Edelbrock adapter mounts will position the engine ins such a way that the bellhousing mating surface of the block will be in the same position as with an early sbc, or bbc for that matter. Is that correct?

What is the collector diameter of the headers?

Andrew
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Karl, Do you have a firm date on when the 68-72 LSx conversion headers will start shipping. I have had mine on order since beginning of December from one of your large Mail Order Distributor's. At first they said mid December and every time I have called since they say two weeks longer. I was last told end of the month (January). I understand with it being a new product it takes time for production and all but just rather excited to try them out. I saw this post and thought you or your people would have a more accurate date.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Karl,

I read what you are saying very carefully, but I just want to confirm one more time please. What you are saying is that the Edelbrock adapter mounts will position the engine ins such a way that the bellhousing mating surface of the block will be in the same position as with an early sbc, or bbc for that matter. Is that correct?

What is the collector diameter of the headers?

Andrew
It gets the bellhousing very close to the OEM location, there is about a 3/8" differenece due to bolt hole interference on the engine and plates. All the pieces will fit just as if it were an original transmission location.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tja42853
Karl, Do you have a firm date on when the 68-72 LSx conversion headers will start shipping. I have had mine on order since beginning of December from one of your large Mail Order Distributor's. At first they said mid December and every time I have called since they say two weeks longer. I was last told end of the month (January). I understand with it being a new product it takes time for production and all but just rather excited to try them out. I saw this post and thought you or your people would have a more accurate date.

Thanks,
Tom
I'm not in the production end of things, but as of now it is on the scheldule for the 1st week of Feb. Hope that helps.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flywheel
Boy, I was REAL excited about this kit when I read about it having the oil pan included, then I reread it, now Im just excited.... I'll be needing one this summer.....Thanks Edelbrock....

Rick
We are not including an oil pan with this kit, we have a pan we recommend.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by EdelExh
It gets the bellhousing very close to the OEM location, there is about a 3/8" differenece due to bolt hole interference on the engine and plates. All the pieces will fit just as if it were an original transmission location.
Thanks for the clarification Karl My apologies for missing the earlier post regarding the collector diameter.

Andrew
Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Karl,
I am planning a ls swap into my '86 SS monte carlo. There are a lot of people who are now doing this swap on g-bodys. After reading several posts on this, the one thing we are short on is long tube headers for this swap. Hope ya'll will at least talk about it at your next round table. I for one would be very interested.
Thanks, Jim.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
Karl,
I am planning a ls swap into my '86 SS monte carlo. There are a lot of people who are now doing this swap on g-bodys. After reading several posts on this, the one thing we are short on is long tube headers for this swap. Hope ya'll will at least talk about it at your next round table. I for one would be very interested.
Thanks, Jim.
Jim: We will be looking at other vehicles, I have heard from and seen quite a few of the people doing a swap to the 78 - 87 G-bodys so it will get mentioned.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will the first gen fbody kit be avalible?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

That is the next one to be prototyped, as of now we are finishing up the 2nd Gen fbody.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Any word on the 1st Gen(64-65 Chevelle) A Body?

I am 2-4 weeks from purchasing exhaust. Do you offer/recommend a different motor mount adapter? I am trying to keep this engine swap oe in apperance/don't care for billet look.

Quick Reply: new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08