Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have about the same clearance on my PS pully and Steering box, just enough room to remove the belt. I have Energy Suspension mount and the engine doesn't move much at all and I have not problem with anything hitting. So I would not worry as long as you have some clearance.

One other area to watch is the Steering coupler and the rear alternator bracket.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bracket that will relocate the alt to the passenger side head on the f-body and gto accessories. Pm me if anyone is interested. This solves the steering box issue and makes it alot easier to replace a bad alt if need be. If you plan to mount the a/c up top then this want work for you. Building your on mounts and moving the motor fwd will allow for the stock a/c compressor to be used without notching the frame but will most likely cause issues with headers if they are in your plan sense most of the after market mounts tend to shove the engine far back as they can get it.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yes i am now aware of the edelbrock plate to ac compressor bracket problem. i was going to notch the frame on the front for the compressor to mount in factory location. i got the edelbrock mounts for the thickness and solve the tie rod problem. im going to look at some $70 dollar ls1 mounts this weekend another 70 on a plate wont be as big of a headache or price tag as aftermarket relocation brackets, specail belt, and a pulley swap on the compressor.. but i would like to see a pic of the rockytopper's alternator relocation setup.
moving the alt up would allow the engine to come farther forward and it WOULD let the chevelle frame stands and poly motor mounts line up and bolt it but Im using the Fbody oil pan. and im up against the crossmember right now.
68chevelle what oil pan are you using and did you drill new holes for the frame stands?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info BC, makes me feel more confident about my steering box clearance. My steering coupler clears no problem.

I am currently using an Autokraft pan, but I also have an S&P modified f-body pan that was in the car before. The tie rods hit both pans but only near full lock. Something I will just live with for now. My frame stands are the stock 307 Chevelle ones my car had in the same location as stock....I did not drill new holes for them.

The problem that I see with moving the motor forward is header selection. I have the Edelbrocks and they will not clear the crossmember with the motor forward at all.

If I did it over, I would use some mounting plates like the early BRP style plates and just redrill and relocate the 307 stands further back on the frame keeping the motor further back like it is now. I think that would move the motor mounts out of the way of the compressor. Would still have to notch the frame for the compressor, but the headers would clear the crossmember.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Here is a link to my build. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ject-pics.html
You can see the alt relocation bracket and engine mounts. I used the factory f-body engine mount and fabricated frame mounts using the f-body frame mounts. I basically cut them and welded them to a 1/4 inch plate which has the offset built into it so that the factory holes in the cross member are still used to mount it. I used the S&P modifed pan which clears the crossmember by about 3/8 of an inch. As stated doing it this way will probably cause fit issues with headers, using manifolds it is the way to go assuming you get a engine like I did that had the mounts and frame mounts attached.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

i plan on using the edelbrock headers i havnt bought mine yet. but im really close to the alternator now with the stock fbody pan and it looks like i need to go farther forward to get even close to the factory bolt holes. depending on what these mounts look like im either going to modify the edelbrock mounts or make my own. if i would of known of the compressor issure i wouldnt of went this route. rocky topper are you selling the alternator relocation bracket??
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Yes I have brackets pm sent.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Edelbrock LS Retrofit kits DISCONTINUED

I don't know how many people visit this section lately,But I found out today
from Ron on Edelbrock tech line that these kits are discontinued.

I went to order kit 6758 for my 1967 Chevelle thru summit and they had no info listed on it,this prompted the call to Edelbrock.

So back to square one. Now who else makes such a kit ?
This seemed to be a pretty good fitting setup.
Oh well,the search continues.

Ken
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

It is just the complete kits that are discontinued from what i found out, you can still buy the headers and the header back separately though.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ofit/ls1.shtml

65063 for the headers and 5765 for headers back kit
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

holley has kits now i saw some info on them from a sema video but i dont think they are on their website yet. but they looked a 100x better than edelbrock setup. the offer oil pans adjustable mounts and headers.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM

I new to the site, but I've learned a lot just by browsing.

I'm just getting started on my '71 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible, and I'm installing a low-mileage 5.3L Vortec and 4L60E from an '04 Silverado. I'm swapping to an LS6 cam and intake. Everything else is still in planning.

I know there is a good bit of discussion about swap header fitment, but has anyone had specific experience with a 5.3L install in the Cutlass Supreme? The Hooker tech that I talked to mentioned that SOME Supremes had the original engine mounted slightly off-center (don't know why), thus the notation in some catalogs that the application does not apply to Supremes. Therefore, Hooker seems to be a little hesitant to guarantee this will fit. BTW, I had Hooker SuperComps on this same car with the 350 Rocket & TH350, and had no issues.

Edlebrock seem to be the first choice for this application, and there appear to be no exceptions in their listing. I know the exhaust flange is the same, but is there any other difference in the 5.3L truck heads from the other LS class engines that could be a problem?

Comments?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs396
I don't know how many people visit this section lately,But I found out today
from Ron on Edelbrock tech line that these kits are discontinued.
Wow. This is a stunner! Did they discontinue the individual pieces too or just the kits?

For your project, check out Doug's. They have motor mount and header kits for A-bodies. I have heard 3 good reports regarding fit. They just delivered my Doug's headers, so I will be able to report their fit in a few weeks. Their is the BRP/Hedman kits too but I have heard they have marginal ground clearance similar to the Edelbrock kit.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Wow. This is a stunner! Did they discontinue the individual pieces too or just the kits?

For your project, check out Doug's. They have motor mount and header kits for A-bodies. I have heard 3 good reports regarding fit. They just delivered my Doug's headers, so I will be able to report their fit in a few weeks. Their is the BRP/Hedman kits too but I have heard they have marginal ground clearance similar to the Edelbrock kit.
its just the full kit. You can still buy the headers and the headers back kit
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Old School Heavy

Interesting. They build a lot of things for very small markets. In fact, some of the products they produce baffle me. Like aluminum heads for the old 348/409. How many of those are they gonna sell?

It might be closer to the truth that they had too many complaints about the ground clearance. But, in the end, it is all the same. They are no longer a player. Fortunately, we have Doug's making a pretty well received header for the A-Bodies.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Thats too bad, I just ordered mine about a month ago and they fit well!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I may have a set of the 64-67 edelbrock headers available soon if someone wants em.....New unrun.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

ModMuscle, what year is your abody? Ive been curious about the Dougs, what you going to do with yours since your using the Edelbrocks?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Old School Heavy

That is not good news on the Doug's. That is one of the similar complaints as the Hookers headers. I will be extra careful not to scratch mine on the install in case they need to be returned.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Default Jegs LS conversion kit???

Has anyone used the Ls conversion kit by Jegs order #19212593-k5 ? The kit includes motor mounts, oilpan, and headers. I am starting on my 69 GS LS2 swap soon. I am really intrested in how this kit is for the gm a bodies. Quality? Fit and finish?

Quick Reply: new edelbrock A body LS conversion package coming out in 08