Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Powered 2004 NISSAN 350Z (soon to be 454 LSX)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E36LUVA
Sweet conversion man but definitely need some more info on it like what kind of rear end your using and did you disable the CAN system for it to work etc. Details, details. Lets see G35 coupe, stroker LS2, AWD front control arms/hubs, Trailblazer SS front diff, hmm....
the stock rear end in a Z is way more capable than a gto/cts-v rear end from waht i've seen. people are making 4 digit numbers on those things all day. the drivetrains in the Z are pretty stout from the factory.

also in reference to the vq(stock Z motor) vs ls1 , the ls1 is narrower, shorter and lighter. Had both on engine stands one day and looked at them while talking about which was better to put in a 240sx with a freind. VQ is a far more baller engine, but from the aspect of size/cost/power the ls1 is a better non-stock replacement on any front, other than the oiling system sucks for sustained high rpm.

again i want to emphasize, if your tracking this car AT LEAST GET AN ACCUSUMP.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
the stock rear end in a Z is way more capable than a gto/cts-v rear end from waht i've seen. people are making 4 digit numbers on those things all day. the drivetrains in the Z are pretty stout from the factory.

also in reference to the vq(stock Z motor) vs ls1 , the ls1 is narrower, shorter and lighter. Had both on engine stands one day and looked at them while talking about which was better to put in a 240sx with a freind. VQ is a far more baller engine, but from the aspect of size/cost/power the ls1 is a better non-stock replacement on any front, other than the oiling system sucks for sustained high rpm.

again i want to emphasize, if your tracking this car AT LEAST GET AN ACCUSUMP.
Are you sure on both accounts?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

vertically shorter, not length, thats the only account i am unsure of, if you could be more specific im sure i could as well.

maybe im underestimating the gto rear end, but your "both accounts" comment is extremely broad.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

GTO rear end sucks, I've seen decent numbers made out of them but not telling how long. I think most higher powered guys are using harrop's 9" or 12 bolt IRS units.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is incredibly clean. Excellent work bro. Gonna be a monster with the 454 lsx in it. Too bad the aluminum lsx tall deck isn't out yet though
Old 12-01-2007, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

now I know that my next dream project has been done... That car is badass
Old 12-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Teching In

First off thank you for the compliments...I am still blown away by the amazing job Hinson SUpercars did on this swap.

Now regarding under-estimating my knowledge of this conversion I believe you are mistaken. I am quite versed in the entire process (a self-proclaimed newb when it comes to getting power out of LS motors tho), work in the industry and I have even worked with the people who have designed (and will be implementing) the can-bus conversion system so that we can retain the OEM gauges and functions (YES all OE functions will be retained).

I notice there is still some mystery regarding the VQ. To address stroked VQ builds, two close and dear friends of mine are running the 4.2L stroker kits using GT Motorsports parts including heads and cams by them as well. They tend to hit in the low to mid 700's on APS extreme or GReddy kits with upgraded turbos. This is only achieved with c16 and a huge amount of boost. The main problem with these motors is the fact that the come with a returnless type fuel system which we all know is less than ideal for FI applications. There are a few aftermarket return systems available but most are not suited for high horsepower (ironically the extreme fuel system supplied with the APS extreme twin turbo kit is the WORST of the bunch)Now I Had a Twin Turbo on my VQ before....everyone thinks the motor is $ of the build when in fact it is the engine management. Most people OPT for the HKS FCON with it's 32x32 resolution for tuning (which can only be done at a select handful of HKS Pro Dealers) and runs close to $5k for parts and labor not to mention DYNO time and tuning on top of that.

I have been setting up 350Z builds for over 3 years and have tested just about every LSD, Final Drive and After market axle out there...for the RL Time Attcks the car will not be competeing in unlimited class therefore hoosiers would get me disqualified. A proper set of r-componounds with a 295/35/18 and 335/30/18 will be on the car along with the stock front bumper for clearence on those occasional off-road excusrions.
The car currently has a NISMO 3.9 FD as well as a NISMO 1.5 way LSD set-up at 60% lock. In the past the car had a set of DSS level 5 chromoly axles but they DO NOT live up to their reputation (nor the $ they demanded for a set that lasted less than one trip down the track). The Stock Z rear ends and axles have been holding at the mid-700 mark

My reason for going cast iron is due to the fact that I have had HORRID experiences in the past with aluminum blocks and iron sleeves for non-drag applications. With the 4.250 bore I am planning it would be dangerous to even contemplate machining an aluminum block that thin.

SO for the $25K needed for an un-reliable (yes both cars are having head/coolant issues at the moment)4.2L V6 with 700rwhp I can build a cast iron 454 N/A motor that should be competitive and produce close to the same RWHP on cheaper 93 octane. (or at least we will find out soon enough)

The jury is still out as I would love to turbo the LS2 for ***** and giggles but I can only afford one option and am pretty tapped out from this car already.

I hope this helped answer some questions, as I will be needing your help answering some of my own soon.

Thank you and if I don't speak to you guys again soon, have a happy holidays

PS: I did do a short stint at VTR who was building one of the titan motors for Chris Forsberg's drift car and the aftermarket support for those motor is completely non-existent. It is diffucult to find a better motor with this $ to HP ratio.

PSS: Someone forgot to mention that there is also a 350Z with a 2JZ swap now too.

Last edited by noahzburnt; 12-02-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Launching!

That car is badass. Ive been thinking about something cool to swap an lsx into and never thought about a 350z

Last edited by realmendrivev8s; 12-03-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by noahzburnt
PSS: Someone forgot to mention that there is also a 350Z with a 2JZ swap now too.
Do you have a link to this?

Edit: Is this what you are refering to: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/291221

Last edited by thinkBIG; 12-05-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Staging Lane

lets get some driving vids!!

what are the weight specs?

awesome car man!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Resident

yes that nico thread is the place doing the 2jz swap. thats also the place that helped me get my ls1 swap sorted out, 1st ones to program a safc on a 350z, they've done sr20 miatas, whatever. awesome shop.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

First off thank you for the compliments...I am still blown away by the amazing job Hinson SUpercars did on this swap.

Now regarding under-estimating my knowledge of this conversion I believe you are mistaken. I am quite versed in the entire process (a self-proclaimed newb when it comes to getting power out of LS motors tho), work in the industry and I have even worked with the people who have designed (and will be implementing) the can-bus conversion system so that we can retain the OEM gauges and functions (YES all OE functions will be retained).

I notice there is still some mystery regarding the VQ. To address stroked VQ builds, two close and dear friends of mine are running the 4.2L stroker kits using GT Motorsports parts including heads and cams by them as well. They tend to hit in the low to mid 700's on APS extreme or GReddy kits with upgraded turbos. This is only achieved with c16 and a huge amount of boost. The main problem with these motors is the fact that the come with a returnless type fuel system which we all know is less than ideal for FI applications. There are a few aftermarket return systems available but most are not suited for high horsepower (ironically the extreme fuel system supplied with the APS extreme twin turbo kit is the WORST of the bunch)Now I Had a Twin Turbo on my VQ before....everyone thinks the motor is $ of the build when in fact it is the engine management. Most people OPT for the HKS FCON with it's 32x32 resolution for tuning (which can only be done at a select handful of HKS Pro Dealers) and runs close to $5k for parts and labor not to mention DYNO time and tuning on top of that.

I have been setting up 350Z builds for over 3 years and have tested just about every LSD, Final Drive and After market axle out there...for the RL Time Attcks the car will not be competeing in unlimited class therefore hoosiers would get me disqualified. A proper set of r-componounds with a 295/35/18 and 335/30/18 will be on the car along with the stock front bumper for clearence on those occasional off-road excusrions.
The car currently has a NISMO 3.9 FD as well as a NISMO 1.5 way LSD set-up at 60% lock. In the past the car had a set of DSS level 5 chromoly axles but they DO NOT live up to their reputation (nor the $ they demanded for a set that lasted less than one trip down the track). The Stock Z rear ends and axles have been holding at the mid-700 mark

My reason for going cast iron is due to the fact that I have had HORRID experiences in the past with aluminum blocks and iron sleeves for non-drag applications. With the 4.250 bore I am planning it would be dangerous to even contemplate machining an aluminum block that thin.

SO for the $25K needed for an un-reliable (yes both cars are having head/coolant issues at the moment)4.2L V6 with 700rwhp I can build a cast iron 454 N/A motor that should be competitive and produce close to the same RWHP on cheaper 93 octane. (or at least we will find out soon enough)

The jury is still out as I would love to turbo the LS2 for ***** and giggles but I can only afford one option and am pretty tapped out from this car already.

I hope this helped answer some questions, as I will be needing your help answering some of my own soon.

Thank you and if I don't speak to you guys again soon, have a happy holidays

PS: I did do a short stint at VTR who was building one of the titan motors for Chris Forsberg's drift car and the aftermarket support for those motor is completely non-existent. It is diffucult to find a better motor with this $ to HP ratio.

700rwhp of insta-torque and a bunch of wieght directly over the front axle...

im not trying to be a hater, but what suspension do you have on your car again? whats the adjustability like?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Teching In

BC Racing with 32 way adjustability, custom spring rates etc....we run these on our other time attack cars that also make in the 800rwhp range and have an additional 110lbs up front with the added weight of a twin turbo. I will be swapping in the new external resevoir coilovers from BC as soon as I have some time.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Resident

32 way adjustable.................yah......nice car............good luck with time attack.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Can you give me more info on this?

Does the whole gauge cluster in the Nissan only use the 2-wire CAN input?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Nice car man wish I could get GM to sponsor my build
Old 12-09-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

this wasnt directed at you as much as the company helping you that released a 240sx kit before they had guages that worked, or a complete engine harness.

i know 1st hand, and theres 2 people on this forum that purchased parts/services that didnt exhist, and got burned hard on it.

they sponsored my build, send me a 1/2 pass radiator, some "motor mounts" a tranny mount (that actually worked and wasnt bad other than some really whack exhaust holes that really didnt make sense at all) and a driveshaft that worked, and some headers that hit my steering shaft, that i had to send back to get "produced" and were promised ot have back in 2 weeks, after they never showed up i made some nasty headers in 2 hours at 3am to get to an event, and kept waiting for some headers that never showed up, when we agreed upon them sending me wiring stuff, (which never happened), and a full ls1 swap kit, when i had to modify the "mounts", didnt get any sort of harnes or even technical support, which was the only real reson i wanted to work with them since any idiot with a mig welder (myself included) can mount any engine in any car, it was the wiring that was my problem. so after working with them 1st hand, which i honestly regret every bit of, and knowing how they released their 240 "kit" that is where the comment stems from. im sure there will be some long reply calling me an idiot and accusing me of not asking for parts due to them not answering phone calls or shipping anythign and me being too polite for them to notice at 1st, but in all reality take one of their 240sx radiators, put it inlet/outlet side facing the ground, stick a waterhose in it, and tell me if they still immediately shoot the water back out before the water even hits the fins, then tell me whos an idiot, which is me for trying to work with them. just though i'd clear up where that comment came from and was directed.

good luck in time attack, glad you have wiring knowledge, i didnt at the time i worked with them, and it only compounded my problem.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

was wondering how the development on this was going. my roommate has a z but we have been real limited on doing much work to it because of the ems and vehicle body computer thing.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Sbertolone - The car is back with the customer. The conversion went very well and without compromise. We built a microcontroller to put all GM signals on the Nissan CAN system. This will be available through HSC.

The package will require a few custom pieces including our mounts, headers, new oil pan, and mircocontroller. We will fully support the car like we have the RX7 and 240SX.

The customer is very happy with the car. It won the "Hottest Engineered Vehicle" award at the first car show it attended. Also, he showed the vehicle at Hot Import Nights (Boston) this past weekend. He says that "it drives like it was a factory option."

We'll update our website soon to reflect more information on the requirements and costs.

The owner has been sharing his story on a 350Z board. You can read more about it here. http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...310010&page=43

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

That is badass!

Quick Reply: LS2 Powered 2004 NISSAN 350Z (soon to be 454 LSX)