Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few pics of the 86 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, it lives once again.

The 86 now rolls under LS1 power. I finally got to drive it some this week. It is still far from being finished but it is mobile for the first time in over 2 years. It still needs finishing up. No major problems except it only has first and second gears. It will not shift out of first by itself. If you shift it manually it will go into second very hard and stay there. If you manually shift it past second it is like it is in neutral. When we scanned it it showed no codes. I was expecting to see a bunch of codes when we first fired it up. Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the scanner show the commanded gear is?

As in, does the computer ever command 2nd or 3rd gear? If so, it would appear to be a transmission issue, otherwise, perhaps VSS?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

We scanned it again. It had 3 codes.
1-PO 118 coolant temp circuit high
2-PO 452 evaporator pressure sensor signal low or short
3-P 1637 generator L terminator circuit

Can any of these tie to the transmission trouble? Feel free to chime in if you have any experience with these.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey the truck intake would fit on hear right
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86 Silverado LS1
Well sort of. I have a lift and it is outside.

Clean truck, man!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

very very nice. I drove an 84 GMC in HS, so I always have a soft spot for these. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man thats a nice looking truck
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. The vent lines at the back of both valve covers...what are you guys doing with these. Can they need to run up to the ports on each side of the throttle body or do they need a breather? What about the steam line? Can I just cap it off?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It will not shift out of first by itself. If you shift it manually it will go into second very hard and stay there. If you manually shift it past second it is like it is in neutral. When we scanned it it showed no codes. I was expecting to see a bunch of codes when we first fired it up. Any ideas?
I had a similar problem, although it was with a 4L80E trans. Would not shift out of first except manually, and wouldn't go into 3rd unless commanded with EFILive. It ended up being my output VSS wiring...I never took that part of the harness apart and it was still in the original loom but somehow both wires were severed inside the loom. I found this out by doing a continuity test from the sensor plug to the pcm. I'd check this out and if that doesn't turn out, swap out the vss if you have a spare.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

on my 79c10 i just crossed from one valve cover to the other in the rear, then at the front pass side you will hook from there to the throttlebody. the steam lines i left hooked up, exept i capped it off where it goes to the radiator. that way coolant still goes from one head to the other.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

The 86 now rolls under LS1 power. I finally got to drive it some this week. It is still far from being finished but it is mobile for the first time in over 2 years. It still needs finishing up. No major problems except it only has first and second gears. It will not shift out of first by itself. If you shift it manually it will go into second very hard and stay there. If you manually shift it past second it is like it is in neutral. When we scanned it it showed no codes. I was expecting to see a bunch of codes when we first fired it up. Any ideas?
We scanned it again. It had 3 codes.
1-PO 118 coolant temp circuit high
2-PO 452 evaporator pressure sensor signal low or short
3-P 1637 generator L terminator circuit

Can any of these tie to the transmission trouble? Feel free to chime in if you have any experience with these.

It is running rich. Could all this be tied together. What can cause it to run rich and only have first and second gears? Otherwise it seems to run fine.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

mine ran rich at first. it was the iac first, then the maf`s fuel tables had to be adjusted, then i think the tps sensor acted up a little. also my longtubes were messing up my 02`s readings, which i had to correct. all of which had to do with me running rich.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

update. I have been working on factory wiring and lights stuff for the last few days. Remember we took it all apart, down to just the cab when we painted it. no doors, no glass...nothing. As far as the LS1 swap there are only a few problems. I have not taken it to the trans shop yet but it looks like I will have to. Still only have first and second. The trans guy showed me how to get it in third. He says third is there and could be a wire issue. The only other problems are running rich and the temp sensor problem. PO118. I replaced it with a GM unit. That makes two of those. No difference. I will start tracing wires now. The grounds seem fine. I don't know if this stuff is tied together or not. Also, the running rich thing doesn't seem to be consistent. The power is definitely not consistent. I have been playing in the driveway (its long) and sometimes it feels lazy then sometimes it lights the tires up. The times when its right its great. Love the power. Just gotta work some bugs out. This should be a fun truck.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.putfile.com/jomommajomomma/images/

gotta luv those bugs. it tested my sanity for a while there!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

check the wires at the coolant temp sensor, if its throwing that code probably the computer dumping fuel for the temp it sees
Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WeeWolf
check the wires at the coolant temp sensor, if its throwing that code probably the computer dumping fuel for the temp it sees
I had some time to work on it. I tested the continuity of the wires from the pcm to the coolant sensor. No problem there. I don't know what the sensor should read but the ohm meter says 1.40 on the sensor cold. The sensor is new from GM. Where is the PO118 code (coolant sensor circuit high) coming from? This code could be causing my running rich problem, right? Most of the other stuff is coming along fine. Just gotta stay on these pesky bugs.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Teching In

check with russ at power train solutions--- PCS in ashland va on your shifting p'bms. he was a huge help on my ls 4l60e swap in my tj.----1-804 752-6025--- mase
Old 03-29-2008, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Finally making some more progress. I got the truck back yesterday from the transmission shop. I finally gave up on fixing the problem myself of only having first and second gears. I tried everything I could with no success. The problem turned out to be the tune. It was for a 6 speed instead of for the 4L60E that I requested. That caused a lot of problems and burned up the trans. It burned up the bands for third and fourth gears. The trans shop said it burned them up the first time I drove it. Now all that is fixed and the truck drives good. It just needs finishing up. I am shooting for showing it at a local car show on April 12. Wish me luck!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

What are you guys doing with the 2 vent lines at the back of the valve covers?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I totally missed this build,if you posted any during it.Thats avery nice truck even with out the ls1~~~thats just adds to it.So,what all did you do to get it in there?And some more pics if you get time..

Quick Reply: A few pics of the 86 Silverado