Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

57 Chevy Black Widow Upgraded... FOR FREE

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either get the pot-metal trim and bumpers chromed or paint them body color. Faux painting only works to recreate small pieces like the side trim. Always looks fake and cheesy on parts like the ones your painter attempted to do.

The '57 post built by Dale Boesch for "Speedy" Bill Smith (of Speedway fame) has airbrushed side trim and body color brightwork elsewhere. Having seen the car in person, it's mighty mean looking.

http://images.rodandcustommagazine.c...1957_chevy.jpg
Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep thats why they all got painted silver.

Sorry all we’re still slammed and this week is Thump week her in Lovely Luling. So we had to take 2-3 days and clean shop.

So I found out first had that the T56 transmissions don’t like to run without transmission fluid. All the bearings just die on you, fancy that. So I’ve been teaching myself how to rebuild manual transmissions. I had an aluminum flywheel on the car and the guys at Thunder Racing said "TAKE IT OFF you'll burn up your clutch in 10k-15k miles". So I had to run down to south Texas to look at a car and Jim had nothing to do that day because we were waiting on parts so I asked him to swap the flywheels for me. He did and I forgot to refill the transmission before we put the body back on. I checked everything else but when I went to fill the transmission I pulled the reverse lockout solenoid like the guys at D&D suggested and slammed a bottle of ATF up there. What I didn’t think about was the fact that the shifter was right there. The fluid hit the shifter handle and all came back at me. I was under the car so I thought the transmission was full. So the car has 4 miles and the input bearing gave up 50’ from the shop. I lucked out and only toasted the bearings. The gears are all fine none of them were run long enough to blue and de-temper. A friend of mine is holding my hand on this one. Rusty owned and was the transmission guy for a Viper racing team. He also worked at Ferrari of Houston for 8 years; needless to say he’s good with cars. He’s also building a 56 with a twin turbo 327 that I’m going to try to take some photos of tomorrow. He’s fixing up the other T56 we had here. It had eaten it’s synchronizers after 130,000 miles. I’m going to throw that one in after he gets done with it then start my journey into the gear box.

The Air brush guy dropped the ball so The bumpers are black and the pot metal is quicksilver the same color we paint the suspensions. The black bumpers turned out better than I imagined. When I get her running again I'm going to the exhaust run out the back you can see the cut outs for the tips.

R^3
Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Launching!

Fun in the streets. Good thin Sunday morning is slow around here. Luckily a buddy of mine who knows a thing or two about cameras stopped by, I showed him how to use mind and where the rapid shot option was and here’s the result.

I didn’t think about this until a buddy of mine and his super tuned EVO stopped by and showed me a few things he was playing with. The stock Redline limiter kicks off your fuel at redline my cam 6400 RPMs and lets you back in at after the motor has dropped you 100 RPM’s. In road racing since you’re so close to the red line all the time if your motor kicks off all the sudden then kicks back in 100 RPM’s later it would be like hitting a Jake Brake when you’re getting ready to shift. So I went into map B3303 and changed All gears to fuel Cutoff 6400 ReEnable at 6399, a major life saver that will make it a little easier on your motor since I don’t have a tack yet (I’m still making some decisions about my gauge arrangement).

Standing launch and a nice drift through the local auction barns parking lot. I’ve really been playing a lot with the rear suspension settings getting making for the best ride and still getting the best launch. In these shots I side stepped the clutch at 6200 (I had the lap top plugged in so I had a tack) and tried to make the tires spin for a smokey burnout but little to nothing just hook and book a little squat on the rear but the ride quality is still there.

And anyone looking to rebuild a T56 if you don’t mind shipping it I would highly suggest Rusty the Viper guy who rebuilt mine, clean and tight and If you take it to him out of the car he’ll cut you a good price. PM me if you want his number.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice work. You guys did a good job on that car.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Teching In

love it
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love this car, it looks killer!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Launching!

Default 57 Black Widow Autocross Run, Race Data Photos and Video

I got my first chance in over a year to race with the auto cross guys. It was sheer luck that they were having a “Divisional in a Day”. That means 2 tracks in one day and twice the runs. This is just the first of the stuff I got but here are some photos showing the car’s body roll with a Hot Rod Jim “Basic” chassis, no sway bars, and QA1 Ultra Ride shocks. This is our best riding chassis. Yes you’re going to sack a little handling capability but for the money you can beat the ride quality.

My new equipment for this weekend, I recently acquired a Max Q GPS Data logger and interface PDA. This little guy mounts to your dash and uses the GPS systems to track your motion then graph it out giving you speed lateral G forces left to right long G forces front to back. Then it will plot your course and color code it to show your deceleration and acceleration in relation to your line around the track. The main reason we went with this unit is because of the price. With the low price there are a bunch of autocross racer who have them and then you can get the data from other drivers and lay it over you’re to see side by side how you compare.

I also acquired a little video camera and a new suction cup mount for the car. I have a few more videos but this one is from the data showing my .9G spike on my 3 afternoon run. Shown in the red circle on the track data and the blue circle in my time card, the yellow circle is from the series of photos showing the body roll of the car running the wide corner and the short slalom. I also tossed in some random photos showing the car from a few different angles.

The tracks, the morning track ran one way and the afternoon track was changed a little then run the other way. So if you see the car in the same place but looking the other way it was because of the time of day. The still camera shots were taken from the same point. They don’t want you walking around with cars zooming around the lot.

Analysis of the data and the days runs showed my averaging .78-.86 G’s in most of my corners with this suspensions set up. The times show steady improvement in every pass. In conclusion the driver was not skilled enough to push the car to its limits all day long. (See the two links under Data) You can see my first run was horrible. I cut 7 seconds out of my time where most seasoned drivers could only shave .5 to .75 of a second from there times. The tires we are running on the 57 right now are junk. The general brand tire is crap. I’m looking into a set of Invos for the car in the near future. Where I did spike some numbers There’s no way I would make that on a skid pad. The car would have spun out very early on due to body roll. Where I am inexperienced I’m a total idiot when it comes to controlling a car and reacting to the “feel” of the car. My .9 G pull occurred after in the second corner of a slalom so I had a little more forward momentum to throw sideways and achieve those numbers.

What to look forward to. I’m developing a “Sport Package” for our chassis to include shorter stiffer springs all the way around, adjustable 4 bars, adjustable sway bars with rigid suspensions links and QA1 Dual Adjustable shocks, I’ll have the upgrade done by this weekend ready for the autocross in San Antonio. More photos, video, more data and more options.

Russell

Slalom Run
f01.jpg
f02.jpg
f03.jpg
f04.jpg
f05.jpg
f06.jpg
f07.jpg
f08.jpg
f09.jpg
f10.jpg