Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorten corvette torque tube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette torque tube and build

The link to Drangon Motor Cars is one cool build of an aluminum frame. I am still trying to get my frame set up so I can mount my chevelle on it. So far I have built a frame jig to hold everything in place while I am building it, and have many tubes cut and tacked in place.

I have seen other builds that guys that are using a corvette running running gear set up from a C5 where they use the front and rear cradles and cut them in the center and remove an ince from each side and weld back together to narrow to fit the body, and others that build a frame to get rid of the cradles. Still not sure what is the best way to go as of yet. In the Dragon frame it looks like he kept the cradles, but must not of had a width problem with the cobra body.

Has anyone had this issue. The cradles are about 2" too wide for my chevelle. I was trying to use the stock corvette wheels and rims, and they will not fit under the body as they are. I don't think I can get a bigger offset on the rim as it is all the way to the outside. Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that thing is balanced very well. I think a normal driveshaft shop only balances (normally) to like 3000 rpm. You may have to go to a specialized d/s shop to get it done... Dennys did mine(standard D/S) to 6k rpm. That shaft will see engine rpm on every shift as opposed to only in 4th.

FYI, Usually a longer driveshat gets a larger diameter.

Originally Posted by bustac
The problem is a lot of driveshaft shops don't have the tooling needed to set up these shafts in there standard jigs. Also the tube stock is a non standard size plus it's aluminum. So a lot of them don't want to deal with it.

Here is what's inside the tube.

I'm in the middle of lengthening one by 10" I'll post some pics once its done.

Quick Reply: shorten corvette torque tube?