Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mustang II brakes and springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang II brakes and springs

I bought a Heidts universal mustang II front suspension when I built my car, and it has been working great for the most part.

First the time has come to upgrade the brakes. Currently it has the peanut factory rotors and factory calipers. and while they work ok, on a hot day after driving for some time they fade.

So I am thinking of upgrading to
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
or
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
the only difference I see is that one is 11" rotors and the other is 10.75"

So, will either is these kits fit my suspension?, They say they fit original mustang II, but I have aftermarket mustang II, is there a differnce?

And Secondly, the front springs.

When I bought they kit, I'll admit I was not as knowlegable as I am know and never really asked for details. They asked me what type of spring I wanted in the front, and gave me a choice of soft medium or hard. I figured it is going in a light small car so I said "medium"

Problem is, these springs and way to soft, well maybe not soft but than too short, it feels like someone cut a couple coils out of them when compressed. I am using spring spacers now to try and compinsate ( I know thats wrong, but thats why I am trying to fix it)

So does anyone have suggestions on some new springs?
for pics fallow link in sig
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Launching!

If it helps any, I just bought a kit from Master Power for my mustang II front end. I know that they will work on my front end as well as yours. Most of the after market mustang II brake kits will work with the heidts stuff. Heidts buys their kits from someone...if you didnt know that. I got the 12" rotor package and it looks sweet. I cant wait to get them installed and try them out.

I also just recently upgraded my springs and shocks for the mustang II setup. I bought a kit from summit, QA1 with springs. You need to know the front weight of the car, that is how you choose your springs. Im not sure if this helps any or not but thats what I did with my setup.

If you want to pick my brain just let me know.

-Jamin
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the ECI "Big Brake" kit for my MII. It uses 11" rotors and the big GM calipers. The nice thing about it is there is no additional offset as with some bigger brake kits. The Wilwood stuff is awesome but was a little pricey for me. My Big 'ol sedan stops great with no fade.....even after a 100 mph pass at the strip, no problem. I have F-body rear brakes which complement the front nicely.

I started out on the front with the QA-1 coil overs in the beginning but after several sets of springs and alot of messing around (and they started to LEAK).....I went to NAPA and got a pair of stock replacement Mustang II (4 cyl) coil springs. I finally got the best ride and handling now. It seemed like no matter what I did with the QA-1s I either had a 'way stiff harsh ride....or it bottomed out over any little bump, with very little usable travel. I still have the QA-1s and someday I'll get them rebuilt maybe to use on another project as I have always had great luck with their products......just not in this application.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Hey Oscar,

What did it take to get the F-body brakes to work on your 9" rear? I am looking at getting a 9" built and would love to use the F-body stuff on the rear. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: mustang II brakes and springs